Battery drain issues? READ THIS BEFORE BLAMING ROMS

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Before you think your battery drain issues are with the ROM or kernel you are using, uninstall Skype and see how that works out for you.

Skype is known for absolutely murdering battery life, even if you sign out (or never sign in) and even after you kill the app and running service. It refuses to let go of the sensors and can drain up to 10% battery per hour. The only solution is to uninstall it completely.

For more info on how bad it really is, see here and here and here.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Here are a few others to avoid as well:

Blockbuster app
Where app
And pretty much all location based apps that constantly poll your location.

csrow

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
By using JuiceDefend, I have manage to lower my hourly usage from 8% down to 5.4%. Even though this is higher than what others are seeing, it's a great news for me because now I can go 15 hours and still remain above the 20% battery mark. That allows me to go all day without recharging.

I have been keeping my eye on Skype when I am not signed in. It does use the battery but it's fairly low percentage. What really surprised me is that the built in Swype keyboard is the second highest power user after the Go Launcher EX which is the highest battery user.

I have switched my keyboard to the stock Android keyboard and I'll see how I do tomorrow.

This is with the initial BB ROM version running at 825/486.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Are you referring to the stock install of Swype, or the Swype Beta?

I've been using the Swype Beta since I got my OV, and I installed CM7 on the third day. I have never had an issue with Swype Beta being a main battery drain, but I don't know if the stock Swype had an issue.

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Are you referring to the stock install of Swype, or the Swype Beta?

I've been using the Swype Beta since I got my OV, and I installed CM7 on the third day. I have never had an issue with Swype Beta being a main battery drain, but I don't know if the stock Swype had an issue.

I think they mean SKYPE (voip calling thing), not SWYPE (the keyboard), :)

csrow

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Using Gingerbread keyboard today instead of Swype (stock version which came with the stock ROM) didn't make much difference today. But then again, I was using some Navigation and maps today which sucks down power.

13 hours at 5.8%/hour. Still acceptable.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Using Gingerbread keyboard today instead of Swype (stock version which came with the stock ROM) didn't make much difference today. But then again, I was using some Navigation and maps today which sucks down power.

13 hours at 5.8%/hour. Still acceptable.

Why would you think the keyboard would matter? It is not used while your phone is on standby.

csrow

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Why would you think the keyboard would matter? It is not used while your phone is on standby.

First of all, I am not confusing Skype vs. Swype. And yes, I thought it was strange a keyboard would be something that may be consuming power on standby.

The only thing I can say is that that is was what is being reported by the Battery Usage report on Android Assistant app when I had Swype as the input method.

csrow

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
So with JuiceDefender set at aggressive and using Gingerbread keyboard instead of Swype, I have been averaging 4.5-5.5%/hour. That's a great improvement from the starting point of 8%.

One thing I noticed is that the usage level accelerates as battery level drops. So, in the morning it might be averaging 3-4% when the battery is close to 100% but as the battery level falls, the usage rate goes up to 5-6%.

I miss Swype. So today, I have deleted the stock Swype keyboard and instead installed the latest beta Swype keyboard. I am going back to Swype tomorrow to see how the latest beta affects the battery usage.

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
So with JuiceDefender set at aggressive and using Gingerbread keyboard instead of Swype, I have been averaging 4.5-5.5%/hour. That's a great improvement from the starting point of 8%.

One thing I noticed is that the usage level accelerates as battery level drops. So, in the morning it might be averaging 3-4% when the battery is close to 100% but as the battery level falls, the usage rate goes up to 5-6%.

I miss Swype. So today, I have deleted the stock Swype keyboard and instead installed the latest beta Swype keyboard. I am going back to Swype tomorrow to see how the latest beta affects the battery usage.

Is that in idle with no widgets or data-using apps running (apart from regular gmail/contacts/google sync)? If so, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you may have a bad battery, especially considering how you say the drain rate increases. It wouldn't hurt to pick up a spare anyway, and you just might find that the "spare" becomes your new battery.

GeekOutDog

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I had been seeing a 1% drop per hour from my new V for the last ~2 weeks... today it was dropping over 5% an hour.... no changes made in that time

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
If everything is working properly and you have no data hungry apps running, you should get 1% drop an hour. It doesn't matter the rom or kernel. I'm going to post my last set of results soon explaining why. But 1% is what our phones can do without jumping through any hoops.

1% per hour is with the following apps running constantly:
  • Groove IP (VOIP)
  • Gtalk
  • Gvoice
  • Gmail
  • Tasker (for firewall profiles and auto car GPS functions)
  • Keylights (notify you of texts and missed calls by blinking the back light of the hard keys)
  • SlideIt Keyboard
  • Messenger
  • Other normal system tasks

Overclocked to 600/806

phreak311

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
My girlfriend never had Skype installed on her Optimus V and she had horrible horrible battery life. The strange thing is, I tried every single ROM there was, and the battery life was still horrible. So I called VM, exchanged it, got the new phone. Kept it stock, haven't even rooted it yet, and she is on almost 2 days with no charge and 29% battery left. So i think it may have been an issue with that particular phone. I'm sure you'll hear from me when i root it and install a custom ROM if the battery life becomes horrid again lol...

Kiernon

Total homewrecker.
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Wait, whoa WHOA.

Are you telling me.. you built a time machine... out of a DeLore-- Wait, sorry. Wrong script.

Ah, here we go.

Are you telling me that instead of outraged snap-screaming at and blaming the fine people who take their free time to share their work with us leeching Optimus junkies, you're suggesting we do things like:

-Properly install the rom. Follow wiping instructions from the dev's post, and follow the suggestion of recommended recovery.

-Monitor usage of widgets and resource-sucking refreshing apps.

-Reasonably toggle features as needed to conserve power if it's a primary concern for you.

-Properly set up your overclocking for efficiency and function as discussed in numerous posts in this forum.

-Be smart while installing Apps, noticing the permissions you're granting.

... And you expect these reasonable and rational requests to be considered instead of just blaming the rom/kernel?

BWA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

It'll never work.

-K

Last edited:

csrow

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Is that in idle with no widgets or data-using apps running (apart from regular gmail/contacts/google sync)? If so, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you may have a bad battery, especially considering how you say the drain rate increases. It wouldn't hurt to pick up a spare anyway, and you just might find that the "spare" becomes your new battery.

I don't think it's the battery. If I don't use the phone, then the battery does great.

I used the phone for maybe 3 min this morning and stayed off of it. After 3 hours the charge is at still 100%. This is with no changes to the apps or the phone setting and running the Swype beta.

But what good is the phone if I carry it around as a dead weight? I am happy with 5%/hour with my normal usage. It gets me through the day until I can charge it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol