07-15-2012 11:23 PM
151 ... 34567
tools
    Got off the phone with LG. They told me its an update for basebands under vm760zv4. They said that zv4 is the current version. I asked them if there is a problem with the updater they said yes then proceeds to tell me what I first wrote. Figured I'd update and let you all know.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    JerryScript and El Schisne like this.
    05-06-2011 12:03 PM
    I haz the .cab file for V5_07
    05-06-2011 12:42 PM
    I successfully downloaded the .cab file for the update. Sneaky update tool deletes it if update files. I grabbed it before. Happy playing at your own risk

Fyi you need 7zip to extract the file.

VM670ZV5_07.cab link removed until I can do it and make sure it doesn't brick phones
    05-06-2011 01:08 PM
    I successfully downloaded the .cab file for the update. Sneaky update tool deletes it if update files. I grabbed it before. Happy playing at your own risk

Fyi you need 7zip to extract the file.

VM670ZV5_07.cab link removed until I can do it and make sure it doesn't brick phones
    Is there a difference between the cab you uploaded and the cab I uploaded in the other thread?
    05-06-2011 04:58 PM
    Should one go back to stock to do this baseband update?
    05-06-2011 06:25 PM
    for those who have the baseband update, have you noticed any significant change? i remember on big red when i changed my baseband for d1 there was def. a boost in 3g speeds
    05-06-2011 06:27 PM
    Should one go back to stock to do this baseband update?
    No.
    Give it a couple days and someone will have a working patch.
    05-06-2011 06:39 PM
    Hmmm, I'm wondering if this baseband update will fix VM 3G dropouts?
    05-06-2011 07:12 PM
    Hey guys to get the lg update software to work its quite simple in windows... I had a lot of trouble with it... When i was a winblowz user... running ubuntu now. But its quite simple goto the device manager and disable the adb driver in the device manager. And it works.
    05-06-2011 10:35 PM
    Hey guys to get the lg update software to work its quite simple in windows... I had a lot of trouble with it... When i was a winblowz user... running ubuntu now. But its quite simple goto the device manager and disable the adb driver in the device manager. And it works.
    Anything different in the zv5 version?

05-06-2011 10:39 PM
    Didn't work!
    05-06-2011 11:47 PM
    Is there a difference between the cab you uploaded and the cab I uploaded in the other thread?
    probably . Sorry asadullah wasn't following the thread as much. Glad we're on the same page tho. update update update lol.
    05-07-2011 09:38 AM
    probably . Sorry asadullah wasn't following the thread as much. Glad we're on the same page tho. update update update lol.
    LOL I was hoping it was something new.
    05-07-2011 11:05 AM
    Tried to update. Can't get PC to recognize mu VM670. Have installed the usb drivers but no go.
    05-07-2011 04:26 PM
    I emailed LG about the error message. They said either the program didn't install properly or the update process was interupted.
    05-07-2011 10:11 PM
    I emailed LG about the error message. They said either the program didn't install properly or the update process was interupted.
    I called them earlier and they said there was no update lol. Which we all know there is according to the site and updater

05-07-2011 10:19 PM
    I went back to stock and tried updating and with new drivers, adb disabled, and the phone off it still got stuck at checking phone model.

I wonder if this so called baseband update will increase 3G speeds for sure. Most of the time I only get around 120 kbps. My 3G isn't really slow, it just could be faster.

Sent from my Optimus V using Tapatalk
    05-08-2011 03:14 AM
    I can get past checking phone model. It will download the update but has soon has it is done downloading it pops up with the error message: "Update not possible due to an error...".
    05-08-2011 09:29 AM
    Someone should try it out, i would but don't have my LG anymore...
    I would but my PC died lol
    Yup, says there's an update, my phones completely custom rommed out so I can't update.

I would too, but....

After some 5 hours with various LG techs, LG updater was finally working, showed a software update available from VM60Z V4 to V5-- but the update link was greyed out and wouldn't work.

- Neither the Tech or I have any idea which of the various things we did was responsible for getting Updater to work-- (sort of)

-He said the updater has been an ongoing problem. I agree.

- He sent a report up the chain-- if it has anyresults he'll contact me.

- Someone at LG evidently wrote a software update, but no one who answers telephones at LG knows who or what it does.

-- Whatever the update might be, it is not the 2.3 Gingerbread update.
    05-08-2011 10:22 AM
    I would too, but....

After some 5 hours with various LG techs, LG updater was finally working, showed a software update available from VM60Z V4 to V5-- but the update link was greyed out and wouldn't work.

- Neither the Tech or I have any idea which of the various things we did was responsible for getting Updater to work-- (sort of)

-He said the updater has been an ongoing problem. I agree.

- He sent a report up the chain-- if it has anyresults he'll contact me.

- Someone at LG evidently wrote a software update, but no one who answers telephones at LG knows who or what it does.

-- Whatever the update might be, it is not the 2.3 Gingerbread update.
    So it hasn't been confirmed that this is a baseband update? What are the chances that we could lose our ability to re root? I thought we were told never to accept updates from LG.

"I'd almost like to say that when it comes to VM phones I'd almost rather have a bricked phone than a stock phone."

That's a bold statement. Root or die basically.

05-08-2011 12:00 PM
    So it hasn't been confirmed that this is a baseband update? What are the chances that we could lose our ability to re root? I thought we were told never to accept updates from LG.

"I'd almost like to say that when it comes to VM phones I'd almost rather have a bricked phone than a stock phone."

Don't think of it as losing your root. Think of it as patching a security hole. Yay

But honestly, having a rooted or rootable phone is a huge security risk. If a tech savvy thief or even a cop gets a hold of your phone, they have access to a lot more information. Examples of what I have gotten off my phone:

passwords to various accounts
    deleted contacts
    deleted web browsing history
    location based data (oddly enough not two years worth like the Iphone)

Not that I'm being hunted by by anyone or any sovereign country, but it is good to know what is and isn't on your easily lost phone.

And until this becomes a working update, it is not a baseband update. It is just a junk file.
    05-08-2011 01:30 PM

It's possible they could block rooting, but considering the mess they have made with this update and how little anyone seems to know about it, I'm guessing it's just the update.

As for the statement...
    The stock phone lags... BAD, seriously, re-flash an old nandroid. The crap they load on it slows it down by 25% and battery life is cut almost in half. I think the only phone Virgin put out that they didn't load with crap, was the Blackberry. Which interestingly enough, you can also mess with the OS (hybrids are nice!) and they don't worry too much about you doing it. It's actually quite a good system.

Not that I'm being hunted by by anyone or any sovereign country, but it is good to know what is and isn't on your easily lost phone.

And until this becomes a working update, it is not a baseband update. It is just a junk file.
    That is why we have tracking software, well, mine does (I have remote wipe as well). Mine has access to too much sensitive info (company servers and such), all of which is password protected anyhow.

As for what a cop or someone else could see, have fun. I hope they like looking at various flower themed wallpaper and reading lovey-dovey messages.

Oh, and I hope they have a warrant.

Agreed about the update, until we know what it is, and how to implement it, it's not worth anything.
    05-08-2011 02:49 PM
    Don't think of it as losing your root. Think of it as patching a security hole. Yay

But honestly, having a rooted or rootable phone is a huge security risk. If a tech savvy thief or even a cop gets a hold of your phone, they have access to a lot more information. Examples of what I have gotten off my phone:

passwords to various accounts
    deleted contacts
    deleted web browsing history
    location based data (oddly enough not two years worth like the Iphone)

Does doing a cache/data wipe actually clear all data, or does it leave remnants behind like what you mentioned?
    ilovemydaughter likes this.
    05-08-2011 03:32 PM
    Deleting using any built in function of your phone or app won't get rid of the data. Deleted contacts for example are kept in your contacts database file until the file itself is overwritten or deleted. Even physically deleting the file does not remove it from the flash memory. Since flash memory only has a certain number of writes for its lifetime, the space that your file occupied won't be overwritten until you have gone through all the remaining space on the disk at least once. Even doing a wipe won't get rid of all your info because of this behavior by the flash memory. The odds of recovery become less and less with more writes to your flash memory. So if you are worried about this, after a wipe, install the largest rom you can find with the most amount of bloatware. It'll overwrite your deleted files. Then wipe again and install your rom of choice. If you have data2ext, good luck overwriting the 1 gig of space you gave yourself. Of course, this is all being overly paranoid. No offense, but most people on this site are not interesting enough to be tapped for info or passwords. Like LeslieAnn said, all they'll end up with are wallpapers, music, and lolcat images.

One thing everyone should watch out for though is apps that store your passwords in plain text. You'd be surprised how many apps do this. I'm working on a utility that will search your data folder for passwords. I think people will be surprised by what turns up.
    05-08-2011 05:48 PM
    One thing everyone should watch out for though is apps that store your passwords in plain text. You'd be surprised how many apps do this. I'm working on a utility that will search your data folder for passwords. I think people will be surprised by what turns up.
    Look this app over. Its takes time to get it setup but its pretty much what your thinking about I believe.
    05-08-2011 06:35 PM
151 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD