Gingerbreak apk v1.2

bunanson

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Oh sure, please go ahead.

There are many many ways to get files from winPC to your phone. adb is probably the most demanding. I usually do

1) ES file explorer
2) dropbox
3) connect with USB cable
4) physically take the SD card out to the winPC and copy into a folder.

But hey, whatever works. Really thank you for the gingerbreak. even a normal user can get root now.

bun

papa b

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Worked.
Ran for 9 minutes then restarted... Root.
Many thanks to OP.
I'd spent 10+ hrs looking for a way to root w/my PowerBook.
Can't believe I didn't find this earlier.

1) DL'd APK... Google search
2) Used Astro to install
3) Ran app from "drawer"
Couldn't get much easier, I don't think.

autobotguy

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
This worked beautifully for me! I tried the SuperOneClick method and since my Optimus V has the new firmware V5, SuperOneClick rooting doesn't work.

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
what recovery install method would u recomend i know theres alot of your choices...

I would recommend Xionia recovery, it's going to be the most tested with any of the active froyo roms I think and pretty much required for the gingerbread/cm7 builds.

oner14

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
soooo all i have to do is download gingerbread to the root of my sd then dl a file manager from the market then simplie run gingerbread with the file manager and thats it its rooted??

Last edited:

wch_one

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I got root with this method, on my stock install. Thanks for the info!

Here's how I did it:
1. Download Gingerbreak 1.20 apk file onto computer.
2. Copy it onto phone's SD card via USB.
3. On computer, unmount the phone's SD card and unplug USB cable.
4. With a file manager on phone, run/install the Gingerbreak apk file.
5. Wait for a while. I waited about 10 minutes, and then accidentally exited the Gingerbreak program. After this, my phone was acting weird, so I rebooted it and ran Gingerbreak again. This time it took about 30 seconds and rebooted.
6. Run Gingerbreak again, and it'll tell you if you have root.

It turns out that this didn't erase my SD card.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I recently rooted 10 phones in one day. I had no interest in setting up a google account on each to download a file manager. The easiest way for me was:
Code:
adb install G.apk

Obviously, I renamed the apk to G.apk. Sometimes the stock phone doesn't connect via adb when booted up. The work around was to use the adb install command while the phone was still booting.

oner14

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I got root with this method, on my stock install. Thanks for the info!

Here's how I did it:
1. Download Gingerbreak 1.20 apk file onto computer.
2. Copy it onto phone's SD card via USB.
3. On computer, unmount the phone's SD card and unplug USB cable.
4. With a file manager on phone, run/install the Gingerbreak apk file.
5. Wait for a while. I waited about 10 minutes, and then accidentally exited the Gingerbreak program. After this, my phone was acting weird, so I rebooted it and ran Gingerbreak again. This time it took about 30 seconds and rebooted.
6. Run Gingerbreak again, and it'll tell you if you have root.

It turns out that this didn't erase my SD card.

its there a way that u can do step 3 without a computer ... Its cause i dont have acces to one ... Lol

oner14

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
If you don't have a computer, there's no need for that step. The purpose is just to disconnect the phone from the computer.

ooo ..so i can just skip step 3 if i can do the first 2 steps directly from my phone ... Thanks for answering the question .. Im some what new to the whole rooting thing but i was wondering .. Whats the best and fastest rom you have used

amishfury

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
been running for at least 10 minutes and nothing... was running for more than 10 previously

i've even rebooted the phone and tried again...

all i want is to get this rooted and use link2sd

cbill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I have a few questions: I have rooted my phone with Super One Click, using my computer to transfer the needed files to my phones' SD (No ROM change or system apps deleted, but some apps moved to SD), however, this system looks simpler and more convenient to me as I feel I may need to periodically root and unroot in the future.

My questions are:

Should I reroot my phone with Gingerbreak, or does it use the same files, utilities and techniques to accomplish root and unroot as SOC?

If I should unroot, before installing Gingerbreak, do I have to unroot my phone with "Super One Click"? I believe unrooting with SOC requires a computer connection: which I would rather not do.

I want to be able to explore several ROMs and therefore be able to both "restore" and "switch" with the least probability of problems.
I think I understand conceptionally what is happening in the rooting process, but, while I feel quite comfortable working on computers, obviously I am new to mobile phones and Android.

Therefore I am trying to proceed with caution.

Your assistance and patience is appreciated.

Cbill[/B]

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend Xionia recovery, it's going to be the most tested with any of the active froyo roms I think and pretty much required for the gingerbread/cm7 builds.

The IHO CM7.1 (and probably other CM7) ROMs recommends clockworkmod recovery, which has more thorough wiping of our Optimus V's partitions, unlike Xionia recovery which was made for Optimus S's partitions. Not wiping the partitions correctly results in weird unreproducible bugs after the ROM is flashed.

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I want to be able to explore several ROMs and therefore be able to both "restore" and "switch" with the least probability of problems.
I think I understand conceptionally what is happening in the rooting process, but, while I feel quite comfortable working on computers, obviously I am new to mobile phones and Android.

Cbill[/B]

I would suggest just keeping the phone rooted. The only reason to go back to unroot is if you're going to send it to VM for service. Keeping it rooted, you can backup ROMs in recovery mode, flash another ROM, and you don't like it, or it doesn't work, flash a different ROM or go back & restore a working ROM. This is all done in recovery mode (requires root).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800