Gingerbreak apk v1.2

00_wrath_00

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
WORKS ONLY ON ZV4 AND ZV5 BASEBANDS. ZV9 BASEBAND CAN NOT BE ROOTED WITH THIS METHOD. AS OF NOW IF YOU HAVE ZV9 BASEBAND ROOTING CAN NOT BE DONE UNTILL THE DEVS CAN FIGURE OUT HOW. PLEASE READ JERRYSCRIPTS POST ON NOT TO INSTALL THE ZV9 UPDATE.

Gingerbreak does work with stock unrooted and rooted Optimus V phones. The steps below is how I did the process if I missed a step feel free to correct it.

1 download gingerbreak apk 1.2 from xda and install it to your memory card via phone download adb push or USB from your PC. To install from SD card download a file manager from the market.

2 install and open gingerbreak apk and select root. It will go though the process of rooting and restart your phone.

3 choose a recovery install method of your choice install recovery make a backup and enjoy your new rooted phone.
Not responsible for bricked phones. Please give thanks to the dev of this apk.

Unroot using gingerbreak phone method no PC needed. Thus will return your phone back to stock no need for a flash image file for this.

Step 1 download and install over stock Rom zip.

Step 2 download and place stock recovery image on the root of your SD card and rename it stock.img

Step 3 using terminal emulator follow mmarz steps to install recovery via terminal emulator (flash_image recovery /sdcard/stock.img reboot recovery)

You should now have stock recovery reboot into android now. Once booted install and /open gingerbreak apk. Select unroot. It will unroot your phone and be completely stock.

To root it again use the root directions above but to install recovery to a once rerooted phone use mmarz technique for terminal emulator to reinstall custom recovery.

EDIT WILL NOT WORK WITH THE NEW ZV9 BASEBAND.

Last edited:

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I'll be convinced when someone uses it on a stock phone for a first time rooting.

Edit: I'm convinced! Thanks for taking the jump for everyone! ;)

Last edited:

00_wrath_00

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
That's y I posted to see if anyone wanted to try. If it works on a stock phone it beats doing it the long way for a noob.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rudo

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes, Gingerbreak 1.2 works on the Optimus V

Yes, I can confirm that Gingerbreak v 1.2 works on the stock Optimus V. I have tried root and unroot and both worked.

Info on the exploit can be found here: [26.04.2011][v1.2] GingerBreak APK (root for GingerBread) - xda-developers

It did not work with my 8GB SD card in the phone, but when I swapped it for the original 2 GB SD card and tried it again it rooted my phone and rebooted in less than 1 minute. I'm not sure if it is due to the amount of data on the card (my 8GB was nearly full, the 2 GB was nearly empty) or why one worked and the other didn't. Others have posted that they had similar issues with some SD cards on other model phones.

00_wrath_00

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Sad I went completely back to stock unrooted and all and yet when I post and did it its speculation and non confirmed working? What a bunch of BS. Buts it ok. I'm glad it worked for those who tried it.
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to have offended you, I was waiting for someone to use it on a new phone that had never been rooted. I was under the impression you had returned to stock, then tried Gingerbreak, which is different.

00_wrath_00

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I did on both phones one completely stock and on a rooted phone. But as long as it helped someone root their phone easier then the other steps is all that matters. Now that's its a working method it should be stickied as its own technique I think plus put into mmarz's guide.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I did on both phones one completely stock and on a rooted phone. But as long as it helped someone root their phone easier then the other steps is all that matters. Now that's its a working method it should be stickied as its own technique I think plus put into mmarz's guide.

This was added to the guide when you first posted it. Why did you delete it?

00_wrath_00

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Felt it was untested since I was the only one at the time to try it. I can repost my findings now its been tested more then just me. I can list the steps to unroot the phone and return it to stock if ya all like. And repost the method I used to root a stock phone.

00_wrath_00

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I did this from my phone if there's any questions just ask. Mmarz if you like rewrite this and add the appropriate links where needed.

Last edited:

bigcat73

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Your steps for unrooting include returning to the stock ROM and recovery before using the unroot button in gingerbreak. Just to clarify, if I root using gingerbreak, keep the stock ROM and recovery, and just use root access to freeze bloatware, and keep gingerbreak installed, will I be able to unroot the same way (by using the unroot button)? This seems like a no-brainer, but I just want to make sure before I go and try it. Thanks.

00_wrath_00

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Your steps for unrooting include returning to the stock ROM and recovery before using the unroot button in gingerbreak. Just to clarify, if I root using gingerbreak, keep the stock ROM and recovery, and just use root access to freeze bloatware, and keep gingerbreak installed, will I be able to unroot the same way (by using the unroot button)? This seems like a no-brainer, but I just want to make sure before I go and try it. Thanks.

That's correct if you want to get rid of the bloatware all together delete what you don't want click unroot and you will be stock minus the bloatware and unrooted.

Reactions: bigcat73

bigcat73

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
That's correct if you want to get rid of the bloatware all together delete what you don't want click unroot and you will be stock minus the bloatware and unrooted.

Thanks! I think I'm just going to freeze the bloatware since deleting it doesn't free any space in the user partition. Then if I need to go completely stock I can. Either way, thanks for the confirmation and also for posting this.

00_wrath_00

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I think I'm just going to freeze the bloatware since deleting it doesn't free any space in the user partition. Then if I need to go completely stock I can. Either way, thanks for the confirmation and also for posting this.

No problem just be sure to go over to xda and thank the dev for the apk

bunanson

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. It worked on 1st shot. Just jog down a few notes in case I have to do it again.

Brand new stock Optimus V VM670 Android 2.2.1, has NOT been messed around yet :) till now

1) dl gingerbreak 1.2 to your winPC folder. I called it c:\ff dl\mygingerbreak

2) click ES file explorer>LAN shares>mygingerbreak>GingerBreak-v1.20.apk, it will install from your winPC to your phone.

3) insert an empty SD card, some mentioned that the SD card got wiped out, just a precaution step

4) on your phone>menu>settings>Applications>Development> select USB Debugging. Just enable USB Debugging and do not connect your phone with USB.

5) run gingerbreak on your phone, When prompted, select root. Phone will reboot if rooting is successful. 1st boot takes an unusually long time, kind of nerve wrecking, it is alright, just wait

6) Test root: install titanium backup from market

7) No. z4root does not work. I tried it.

8) So far, so good. wifi/3G/gps/market/skype/phone all working. Have NOT noticed any special behavior. Oh, on 2nd boot, it is back to normal booting time.

Once rooted, you now can look for custom kernel. Have NOT tried unroot yet.

Thanks for OP for this real easy root.

BTW, eventually it is also beneficial to setup adb, or even better adbwireless, use like adb but without the hassel of physically hooking up the USB cord. you will need adb to really play around your phone.

bun

Last edited:
Reactions: cammykool

00_wrath_00

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Glad its working for everyone. As soon as I can get a PC I'll rewrite in more detail ill add bun's steps as well if he/she is ok with that.