Easy Optimus V Root and Unroot

Black Jesus

Banned
Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Actually every root method is easy if you take the time to do a little reading which you should do anyway even using the easier methods so you know what is actually going on.

Reactions: JerryScript

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for confirming that it works on a stock phone!

Nice to have confirmation from someone who has actually done it, rather than speculation or my friend used it. ;)

Good point BJ, nothing like jumping off a cliff without looking eh?

Reactions: bdieu17

00_wrath_00

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for confirming that it works on a stock phone!

Nice to have confirmation from someone who has actually done it, rather than speculation or my friend used it. ;)
BTW RUDO glad it worked for ya.
Good point BJ, nothing like jumping off a cliff without looking eh?

Well if you would of read my post he posted it worked there too. Apparently because I did it
It didn't count? And for your comment on my post I was completley stock. So now its not speculation?
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

rmyadsk

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Works for me too

Works for my stock Optimus V.

1. Download APK
2. Enable non-Market program sources
3. Enable USB debugging
4. Make sure an SD card is mounted
5. Install and run the APK.

Quick and easy. The entire root process takes about twenty seconds. Thanks!

Reactions: bdieu17

Hecate23

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Sadly, gingerbreak isn't working for me so far. Happily, I did not break my phone attempting to install it.

I installed gingerbreak successfully to my Optimus V (2.2.1 OS). When I tried to use it, however, after extracting a few files, I get the error message "Could not extract assets!" At this point, gingerbreak fails.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance, folks.

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
It may take a few tries. Just reboot before each attempt. It should work, there have been many people who have successfully used this method.

TFizz

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
DAMN! I followed the instructions, and the first time I got stuck for like 15-20 minutes, so I took the battery out then rebooted. The 2nd time I tried installing the .apk, within 30 seconds the Optimus V reboooted on its own, but Gingerbread wasn't there, still 2.2.

But now Superuser is installed....I don't get it. Granted, I am n00b-tastic at programming, but I followed the instructions...,:'(

Any help? Would be much appreciated!

TFizz

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Update (If anyone cares):

So I had SuperUser but no Gingerbread, so I went into GingerBreak and it had the option to "UNroot". I was surprised since I wasn't actually rooted....right? Anyways, I did it [w/o rebooting], it rebooted by itself, then I uninstalled GingerBreak.

So I was essentially, back to a clean slate, or so I think at least. Again, n00b. You'll see.

THEN, I realized I made a real n00b mistake. I had checked off "USB Debugging", but hadn't connected the USB so it was actually enabled. I'm an idiot. I know.

So after doing that, I started the process over again. And after installing and running the root, the device did reboot on its own, but still no Gingerbread! SuperUser was there and when I clicked on GingerBreak, it said SuperUser requested GingerBreak's permission (or maybe the other way around). I pressed ok, and I was rebooted again. BUT STIL NO GINGERBREAD! And again the option to "UNroot".

Now I've unrooted again, and GingerBreak/SuperUser are no longer installed. I'm back where I was at the beginning of last paragraph, but with no realization of having done anything wrong...

Well, there's one thing, but I don't know what to make of it. My lappy is not able to locate the driver for the Optimus V. Does anybody know if that could be what is affecting the process?

Sorry for long posts. If anybody could help me out that would be fantastic! :)

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Is there an easy way to install custom recovery without using ADB?

After getting root with gingerbreak, download ROM Manager from the app market and select 'install clockworkmod recovery image'. Voila you have recovery now. Next to do is find your favorite ROM and flash that in the recovery image (Backup and wipe first).

Reactions: TFizz

TFizz

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Slow down and read the rest of the modding process: http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...guide-optimus-v-modding-read-get-started.html

After you obtain root like you have with Gingerbreak, next you need a custom recovery installed, then you can load any of the gingerbread roms or froyo roms here.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! The last 3 days I've been reading and reading and reading. You definitely led me in the right direction. Being a newbie, it's hard to know where to find info. There's so many posts, on so many threads, on so many forums, that it'll leave you reeling.

But I can't believe how much I've learned in the last few days. Even though the way I rooted and flashed the recovery/ROM was pretty freaking easy (no ADB or command inputs), I actually understand all the processes behind it.

And now my phone is SO much better in so many different ways!

Thanks so much again! :D

TFizz

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
gingerbreak just roots your phone. If u have superuser your rooted.. you have to flash a rom yourself now.

Research first.

Hahaha. I literally rooted and unrooted myself like 5 times without even knowing it LOL. Also, after what I thought was each "failed" attempt, I wiped from the Menu=>Privacy Settings. I read many times since then, that that could easily lead to a bricked device. I guess I got lucky. Or is it really bad when you do factory reset after flashing a recovery? Either way, I consider myself lucky that I didn't brick, and that you all helped me out! Crazy how much you can learn in a couple days.

Thanks so much! :D

TFizz

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
After getting root with gingerbreak, download ROM Manager from the app market and select 'install clockworkmod recovery image'. Voila you have recovery now. Next to do is find your favorite ROM and flash that in the recovery image (Backup and wipe first).

Hey, thank you for this tip! It's much easier than having to enter any commands, especially for a newbie like me.

There's just one thing about ClockworkMod Recovery. I read in a few different threads, that it gives some people problems. I read about this one guy getting bricked cuz of it. I didn't worry about that too much cuz ClockworkMod had specializations for the Optimus V in the app already, but I was wondering, have you heard of any OV users having issues with Clockwork?

Although it's working great for me! Thanks for tip again! :D