A few stupid questions

ravenroost

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
OK. After several attempts I finally have Android 2.3.4 loaded on my Optimus V. (Modversion aospCMod-VM670-20110523).

1. How do I get apps installed from Droid Market? There are a few apps that I already had loaded on the factory rom, but would like them also on the new one.

2. Is there anyway to just download apps to my external card and install from there?

3. Where is a good place to find apps that are not from Android market?

Thanks.

Retorrent

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Did you also flash the gapps.zip before you booted your phone because that should have added the android market, unless your talking about something else. In your market app there should be a tab labeled my apps if you brought them from the market. As far as free .apk not sure if its permitted to provide that kind of info.

Reactions: ravenroost

ravenroost

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Did you also flash the gapps.zip before you booted your phone because that should have added the android market, unless your talking about something else. In your market app there should be a tab labeled my apps if you brought them from the market. As far as free .apk not sure if its permitted to provide that kind of info.

Apps market is not on my phone. Is there any way to install it?

Retorrent

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Hmm well I never ran the rom before without flashing the gapps zip before booting so I'm not sure if you can just flash it and it will just add the market or if you had to do it right after aosp rom in order for it to work. Im not real sure on that so hold on while I try it on my phone because I don't want you to brick yours if I give you the wrong info.

ravenroost

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Hmm well I never ran the rom before without flashing the gapps zip before booting so I'm not sure if you can just flash it and it will just add the market or if you had to do it right after aosp rom in order for it to work. Im not real sure on that so hold on while I try it on my phone because I don't want you to brick yours if I give you the wrong info.

I appreciate it. I'm not sure I have the gapps.zip as I cannot find it on my card.

rockneo

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Well then you didn't read before doing anything, flash the rom, then flash the gapps, which are google apps, which includes the market, go back to the aosp thread download the gapps and flash them

Retorrent

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
No you can't just flash the zip after you booted into aosp's rom because it still won't add it.
So what you need to do is go into aosp thread in this forum download gapps-gb-20110325-signed.zip put it on your SD card. Then you need to wipe the cache and the Dalvik-cache (I always do both) then you need to flash aosp's rom and immediately after flash the gapps-gb-20110325-signed.zip. Don't reboot until you flash the zip.

just as an fyi: I am assuming you have some experience flashing custom roms so if you mess up your phone I'm not responsible. And Please make sure you back up your Phone before doing this in case there is a problem. Oh and never do the factory reset under the privacy settings its has caused people some problems. Hope this helps.

ravenroost

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Well then you didn't read before doing anything, flash the rom, then flash the gapps, which are google apps, which includes the market, go back to the aosp thread download the gapps and flash them

I actually read quite a bit before I did anything. However, I am one that really doesn't get anything until I try it. In the information I read, I looked back and there were mentions of the gapps.zip, etc, but I assumed it would be included in the roms as today was the first day I actually tried to load a rom. My phone was dead for about six hours until I figured things out by trial and error (some of the reading I did seemed to contradict). Anyway, I am up ans running now with Google apps being installed as I write. Thanks to posters like retorrent, I was able to retry the procedure.

ravenroost

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
No you can't just flash the zip after you booted into aosp's rom because it still won't add it.
So what you need to do is go into aosp thread in this forum download gapps-gb-20110325-signed.zip put it on your SD card. Then you need to wipe the cache and the Dalvik-cache (I always do both) then you need to flash aosp's rom and immediately after flash the gapps-gb-20110325-signed.zip. Don't reboot until you flash the zip.

just as an fyi: I am assuming you have some experience flashing custom roms so if you mess up your phone I'm not responsible. And Please make sure you back up your Phone before doing this in case there is a problem. Oh and never do the factory reset under the privacy settings its has caused people some problems. Hope this helps.

I got it up and running and appreciate your help. I would never blame anyone who was trying to help if I would brick a phone. I am unfamiliar with flashing custom roms as today was my first day I actually did it (after reading for weeks and being a bit confused.). I think I understand enough now to do the basics. Take care and thank you very much. Sometimes, I just need someone to tag along as I figured things out here. I read several times not to do the factory reset, but thanks for telling me again for that too. :)