Do not factory reset your phone!!!

Retorrent

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Maybe its because I might be tired or its a sure sign I'm getting old and grouchy but it needs to be said; NEWBIES LISTEN UP!

1.Do not, I Repeat DO NOT Factory reset your phone if you have a custom ROM installed on Your optimus V EVER! Every day there is a new thread in here with the title "I think I bricked my phone!" Or "My phone keeps booting into Recovery" and lo and behold the first sentence I read is "I reset my phone to Factory."

2. READ the directions on installing a ROM first before you do it, Not while you are doing it. If you have questions please ask away a lot of good people here are happy to help.

3.Learn to be patient rushing something like this will only cause you to be the proud owner of an expensive paper weight.

4. Make a backup first before flashing a new ROM even if you didn't in the past it's only a matter of time before something breaks. Don't get stuck without a backup.

5.DO NOT Factory reset EVER! I don't care if you did it on an old phone or if you did it with x rom and nothing bad happened. Why even take that risk to begin with?

Hopefully this helped someone new so I don't have to roll my eyes and groan because I'm reading yet another "I bricked my phone thread"

/rant off

daddy4life09

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
maybe make a no frills guide so people quit asking....i know it gets tiring but my bro sold his rooted v to my cousin and she went download crazy then did a factory reset..so none the less i had to be the one to fix it since my bro lives three hrs away..i can say it wasnt that easy to get the info to get the ball rolling...i eventually ended up using the fastboot method and rom tools to get me going...

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I do not blame the end user on this one. I blame the rom devs. Sure, if people read any of the guides, they would know to avoid the factory reset, but honestly, why keep a nuclear option like that in every single rom? I even explained in an earlier thread how to remove the factory reset option from the phone, but I have yet to see it implemented widely in the roms.

If anyone is interested, here is the settings with the factory reset removed and wireless tether settings added: Settings.apk
This is from reborn rom. It is not meant to be installed like a normal app. Push it to /system/app. and set the permissions to "rw-r--r--"

Last edited:

r00t

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
It's true what mmarz said. Does anyone know what's it actually used for?

And also this thread should be pinned.

Retorrent

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I do not blame the end user on this one. I blame the rom devs. Sure, if people read any of the guides, they would know to avoid the factory reset, but honestly, why keep a nuclear option like that in every single rom? I even explained in an earlier thread how to remove the factory reset option from the phone, but I have yet to see it implemented widely in the roms.

If anyone is interested, here is the settings with the factory reset removed and wireless tether settings added: Settings.apk
This is from reborn rom. It is not meant to be installed like a normal app. Push it to /system/app. and set the permissions to "rw-r--r--"

I can't agree with you more, I think this something that should be a standard because there are so many people doing this by mistake that may not know any better. And by the ever growing number of "I bricked my phone" threads its a big problem.

corexero

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

I'm currently running the Rodimus ROM (The only one I've tried actually) and I'm happy with it, but I would like to remove the factory reset option just to have some peace of mind. I tried searching the site on how to do this but no luck other than this post. Is there a way a noob like myself can do it?

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site