just trying to see the main benefits, right now i'm mostly interested in basics like more battery life and faster phone speed.

thanks!
    06-20-2011 05:31 AM
    Any custom rom will give you those things in pretty significant amounts, though a few standout better than others.

Look for the one that has the features you want.

The 4 common roms at the moment are:
    AOSP CM7, overall speed king but not so great on batteries for some, buggy bluetooth, but lots of features.
    Bumblebee, current Froyo speed king (though Harmonia gives it a good run). It's Froyo stripped down with a focus on speed.
    Reborn, a touch slower and less storage than the rest,but nice features and theme. A nice (polished), well rounded rom.
    Harmonia, a stripped down to basics froyo rom, it focuses on compatibility and space. It probably has the best battery life of these and is quite speedy. The dev is opposed to adding features so don't expect many.
    06-20-2011 06:08 AM
    IF you do root the following advice I would give to you and anyone else who is new to this, it might sound like common sense but you would be surprised how many people F up their phone because they don't follow this. I am not by any means trying to "talk down" to anyone I just want to save you a lot of frustration and stress that I see so many newbies get themselves into.

1. READ- Read everything about rooting and all the steps involved. If you don't understand something ask about it BEFORE you do it.

2. Decided on which method you want to root and READ all the directions involved, I mean just that read it and not while doing it, Read it first then do it. A lot of times if you try to read and do it at the same time you miss a step and next thing you know something goes wrong.

3.Once your rooted and have a recovery installed make a Backup of your stock ROM because if you don't like the new one you can always go back to the old setup.

4. Pick a ROM any ROM that you want and again....... READ everything on how to do it!

5. DO NOT FACTORY RESET YOUR PHONE! You know that setting called privacy and under that it says Factory Data Reset? Yeah forget you even have that setting at all! If you reset you will mess up your phone and become one of those noobs who will come crying on here to fix your phone. Don't believe me? Take a look at some of the threads on here started by people who did not read or pay attention.

6. Ask questions if you don't know something. This is one of the best places I've seen on the web when it comes to helpful people. If I can I will help unless it something I don't know then I will let more of the experienced: forum users answer.

Hope this helps
    06-21-2011 04:21 PM
    Backup as early in each stage of the process as you can!

-Before rooting, backup your sdcard to your computer

-Once rooted, install Titanium Backup and backup your apps, then install terminal and backup your partitions (a step many don't even know about, but it can save you!), copy both of these backups to your computer.

-If you flash a custom recovery, boot into it and do a nandroid backup, then copy it to your computer

It may seem like all these steps are kinda like going to the beach in a hazmat suit, takes the fun out of rooting and installing custom ROMs. But they can and have saved many phones whose owners made a mistake and thought their phone was bricked.
    06-21-2011 05:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD