[How To] Change Your Carrier Name (Now with Scrolling)

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: [How To] Change Your Carrier Name

Thanks for testing, too bad it doesn't scroll like on some phones.

I'm pretty sure that you can, but your method is not the best one. You are trying to edit compiled code. You should use apk manager to decompile the framework apk.

You can then do your edits on the decompiled eri.xml file and then recompile it. Then take the edited and compiled eri.xml and place it inside your original framework apk.

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

Curious if there is a way to get rid of the carrier bar altogether? I tried downsizing that bar but it pushed back to a size that can fit in the font for "virgin mobile". Did mess around with uot kitchen and then downsized the bottom notificatiion bar so it's tiny. :D Although I did find that if you make it 1 pixel deep, TINY, then you cant drag the notification area back up, have to use the back button.

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

I'm pretty sure that you can, but your method is not the best one. You are trying to edit compiled code. You should use apk manager to decompile the framework apk.

You can then do your edits on the decompiled eri.xml file and then recompile it. Then take the edited and compiled eri.xml and place it inside your original framework apk.

I am have to learn how to do that. I should take some time off from work to teach myself all this good stuff. :)

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

I am have to learn how to do that. I should take some time off from work to teach myself all this good stuff. :-!

In the thread I had started about the transparent status bar asadullah listed the files, where they are, and what they are for. I just take my framework-res.apk like normal to UOT and do what I want to it. Then I right click on the zip and choose "open archive (important to do it that way)" then keep right clicking "open inside" till I get to those files. Drag them, dont copy/paste or extract, to your desktop. Open them with your paint program of choice. I just used MS Paint for the resizing purposes. Do your stuff and then save/close the file. Drag it back to where it was, again don't copy/paste, and close the zip. It will ask you if you want to update the archive and just say yes. You should be able to then flash it in recovery just like a normal themed file from the kitchen. (I didn't come up with most of this on my own, got the info from the great help on my thread I had created)

Sorry misread your quote so my input is a mute point. OOPS!

Edit: Scratch that, tried using ms paint on a transparent box and it removed the transparency. Works fine using GIMP, which is what I normally use.

Last edited:

ajgates92

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Curious if there is a way to get rid of the carrier bar altogether? I tried downsizing that bar but it pushed back to a size that can fit in the font for "virgin mobile". Did mess around with uot kitchen and then downsized the bottom notificatiion bar so it's tiny. :D Although I did find that if you make it 1 pixel deep, TINY, then you cant drag the notification area back up, have to use the back button.

I'm not sure about getting rid of the whole bar, but (in theory) you should be able to just put spaces where "Virgin Mobile" is, making it appear like nothing is there, just a bar.

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

I'm not sure about getting rid of the whole bar, but (in theory) you should be able to just put spaces where "Virgin Mobile" is, making it appear like nothing is there, just a bar.
Is there a font size option when editing it? I tried just making that bar like 10 pixels tall but it resized to fit virgin mobile in it. :(

ajgates92

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

I dont think so. I haven't messed around with it enough. However, my dumbass decided to edit my bak, and now I dont have a default eri.xml -.- I have to download my rom again lol. But I will look into the font size. But if you did put spaces, you could resize the bar that way as well.

BTW- Is UOT Kitchen hard to work with?

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

I dont think so. I haven't messed around with it enough. However, my dumbass decided to edit my bak, and now I dont have a default eri.xml -.- I have to download my rom again lol. But I will look into the font size. But if you did put spaces, you could resize the bar that way as well.

BTW- Is UOT Kitchen hard to work with?

UOT is very easy to use however if you use it on the bottom pull down on the notification area it will make it HUGE so you will end up wanting to go back in and shrinking it lol. I believe there is another bar up at the top that gets blown up too if you edit it with UOT but not sure as I shrunk every png file but the large notification area. I mainly use it to edit the status bar since it does everything but the signal meter.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Thanks to the clues posted by mmarz, I used apk_manager to decompile my framework-res.apk, edited the eri.xml file, recompiled, flashed, and I now have a scrolling banner for my carrier name on the lockscreen, the notification dropdown isn't so pretty. Complete instructions have been added to the OP as method two. Thanks mmarz!

Last edited:

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

FYI, if you want to do more advanced edits (remove the carrier name area, modify it, move it...etc) you can edit all that in the folder: res\layout

In particular, you'll want to look at the file:
status_bar_expanded.xml

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

FYI, if you want to do more advanced edits (remove the carrier name area, modify it, move it...etc) you can edit all that in the folder: res\layout

In particular, you'll want to look at the file:
status_bar_expanded.xml

Thanks!

I'm going to use a UOT generated file to explore how they add the animated background to the status bar dropdown. I don't like the background animations available at UOT, but I do like the potential for what might be done. ;)

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
The easiest way is via ADB. Just connect you phone to your PC, open a command prompt and cd to the android-sdk/platform-tools directory, then type:

adb remount

Billzilla

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
OK I have system mount but go to text editor and when edit text a * apperd before system build prop dies that mean I don't have mount r/w

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
OK I have system mount but go to text editor and when edit text a * apperd before system build prop dies that mean I don't have mount r/w

Which file manager are you using? If you have rooted your phone, then you can use ES File Explorer or Root File Manager to mount any folder/partition as rw.

Reactions: Billzilla

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma