[How To] Change Your Carrier Name (Now with Scrolling)

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
i did everything, flashed, and rebooted, but instead of my custom notification bar, it says "Roaming Indicator Off". what happened? thanks in advanced

Last edited:

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
You'll have to post the exact steps you took for us to figure out what went wrong. There are several methods, let us know which you used, and take a moment to type out all the steps you took.

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
okay so i used the first one allowing only seventeen characters:
i put the BACKside-IHO rom on the desktop, opened it, found "framework-res.apk", and put that on the desktop. then i opened it using 7-zip file manager, found eri.xml, and put that on the desktop. then i opened eri.xml with HxD Hex Editor, did ctrl+f, found Virgin Mobile, and changed it to a seventeen letter phrase (including spaces). then i saved the file, put it back into framework-res.apk in /res/xml, then put framework-res.apk in the rom archive in /system/framework, then put it onto my sdcard via usb cable. then i booted into recovery, backed up, wipe cache and dalvik, then installed the zip file. when i booted back up, everything went normally, but the only thing that changed was the words, replacing "Virgin Mobile" with "Roaming Indicator Off". i attached two pictures, one of the notification bar, and one of the lockscreen, both now reading "Roaming Indicator Off". in settings>about phone>status>network, where it originally said Virgin Mobile, that also changed to "Roaming Indicator Off". thanks in advance

kimberlyinmn

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Using the apk_manager, which instance of "Virgin Mobile" should be changed? It shows up twice. :)

Rows 7 and 46

Thanks!!!!!

Last edited:

RyanJKremer

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Using the apk_manager, which instance of "Virgin Mobile" should be changed? It shows up twice. :)

Rows 7 and 46

From what I have found, Row 7 is for the lock-screen and row 46 is for the notification pull-down.

I really had a time getting this one to work - I followed the directions to the letter and kept having trouble. First, I thought it was working, but anything that modified android settings caused settings to fc. I tried again only to end up in a boot-loop.

I'm using the VM670-CM7.1-RC1-IHO-08292011_MiRaGe ROM with Jerry's Green Machine theme. I realized that the modified ROM was not getting along with the theme, so instead of modifying the ROM, I used the same steps to modify the theme. I connected via USB and used apk manager to modify the .zip file right on my sd card. Rebooted to recovery, installed the modified theme zip, and now I am good to go!

Always great write-ups from you, Jerry! I don't know what you do for a living, but you should be a technical writer! Your IHO thread helped me go from noob to "knows just enough to be dangerous"!:eek:

kimberlyinmn

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
From what I have found, Row 7 is for the lock-screen and row 46 is for the notification pull-down.

Thanks! That was it! :) I've been switching between IHO and Bumblebee and am back at IHO and gave this another shot. I happily have my name on the lock screen and the pull-down. I've only left my phone in a meeting room once, but I'd also like to think that anyone finding the phone would try to find its owner. (And I think my co-workers would since they IM me often to say they've found my wireless mouse in various rooms at work - thanks to the little label I put on it.) :)

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! That was it! :) I've been switching between IHO and Bumblebee and am back at IHO and gave this another shot. I happily have my name on the lock screen and the pull-down. I've only left my phone in a meeting room once, but I'd also like to think that anyone finding the phone would try to find its owner. (And I think my co-workers would since they IM me often to say they've found my wireless mouse in various rooms at work - thanks to the little label I put on it.) :)

That's an excellent reason to do this mod, I would even suggest you add an alternative phone number that could be called by someone finding your phone. I live in Las Vegas, and I can tell you it is simply amazing how many people leave their $200+ phones behind. I used to change the lock screen message on my BB to say "If you find this phone, please call xxx-xxxx". I also keep Latitude enabled so I can find it on my own if necessary. ;)

I wish someone would create a BT bracelet or ring accessory for phones that would let you know when your phone is too far away from you.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
snip...
I wish someone would create a BT bracelet or ring accessory for phones that would let you know when your phone is too far away from you.

I agree, for a long time I've wanted something to find my misplaced phone with... sometimes it's on silent, so I can't ring it to get my attention, or I might not have another phone handy for the same trick.
a device which paired with the phone to make it let out a howl on demand would be pretty cool.

putting your name and contact info on the phone is a decent idea, keeps honest people honest and gives them a way to get it back to you. I've read of people putting that info on their boot splash screen too, to really make it obvious who the phone belongs to.

kimberlyinmn

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
putting your name and contact info on the phone is a decent idea, keeps honest people honest and gives them a way to get it back to you. I've read of people putting that info on their boot splash screen too, to really make it obvious who the phone belongs to.

Here's a neat app that lets you put your contact info on the lock screen: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.appengine.paranoid_android.lost&feature=related_apps

I created a contact with my email address as the "name", since I didn't need that on the screen twice.

jaixZXqXAhzvnQzBPN6g2gvEutDcMDuQju9PbGdAHelsw2hd_2rt42ldi75CwVr-4JZt4BLLfwEVE4of2Z7V-ycXwjhyhOu7C2M=s512

PS. My apologies for a slight hijack.

mustafu

Simply Winning
Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Harmonia, and I edited the build.prop file. The drop down changed, but now there's nothing on the lock screen. How do I get the lock screen text to work? Thanks in advance

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Harmonia, and I edited the build.prop file. The drop down changed, but now there's nothing on the lock screen. How do I get the lock screen text to work? Thanks in advance

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

I don't think the lock screen is supposed to have any text. Mine doesn't and never has (currently on Harmonia 1.6).

Sent via VM670

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
It shows on the lockscreen on CM7 builds, even scrolls if you use the decompile method and go above 15 characters, but I've never tried it on Harmonia, so I don't know if the lockscreen might be different.

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Thank Jerry for the Guide, I actually understood how the hex thing worked after staring at it. Numbers on left, Letters on right. Letters that are highlighted meaning letters on left. :s

Conrail16

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
These instructions are for Gingerbread and Froyo. ICS is a completely different animal and hacks like these are unlikely to work without some modification.