So i have rooted my phone and installed clockworkmod recovery. But when i try to install asopCMod, or any other rom, i get the "status 7" error after an assert failed.

What is a "status 7" error?
    06-30-2011 01:21 AM
    How did you install the recovery?
    06-30-2011 01:36 AM
    How did you install the recovery?
    I used Rom Manager to install it, per this guide: http://optimusv.wikispaces.com/Rooting+Your+Optimus+V
    06-30-2011 12:11 PM
    ROM manager's recovery doesn't work for ****.
    06-30-2011 12:57 PM
    What do you recommend i replace it with?
    06-30-2011 11:42 PM
    The recovery linked in aosp's thread

Sent from my Optimus V
    07-01-2011 12:24 AM
    The recovery linked in aosp's thread

Sent from my Optimus V
    How do i do that? I can't get Rom Manager to see that there are any alternate recoveries on the SD card.
    07-01-2011 12:56 AM
    Stop using ROM Manager, it currently doesn't work well with the Optimus V.

Download xionia recovery and place it on your sdcard, just put it on there, don't put it in a folder, it'll be easier.

If you haven't already, install SuperUser by ChainsDD from the market, run it once.

If you haven't already, install Terminal Emulator from the market, open it and type: flash_image

If you get flash_image: not found, you need to download flash_image, unzip it and put it on your sdcard with the xionia recovery file you downloaded earlier.

(If you get flash_image usage: flash_image partition file.img , skip the next step, it is already installed)

Open Terminal Emulator and type:

su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /system /system
    cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
    chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image

If you get an error, you will have to use Root Explorer or adb to put flash_image in system/bin, and then just type in terminal emulator:

su

If you get through that without any errors, you can then use flash_image in terminal emulator to install the xionia recovery, type:

su
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/xionia_cwma_12518.4_virgin.img

Now you can boot into recovery and install any custom ROM.

Be sure to backup first in recovery before you wipe or flash or format anything!
    mooglinux and PacketBoy like this.
    07-01-2011 01:46 AM
    That did it!!!!

Thank you very much, problem solved.

I flashed it the first time and it didnt boot, but then i cleared the cache, data and dalvik and everything is wonderful again.
    07-01-2011 02:58 AM
    Glad you got it working! If you didn't already, go back into recovery and make a backup, it'll save you scary times like this in the future!
    07-01-2011 03:50 AM
    I'm having the same problem and I followed your instructions. I'm using an AT&T Galaxy S2.

When I do: flash_image recovery /sdcard/xionia_cwma_12518.4_virgin.img

I get: error scanning partitions: no such file or directory. I checked, the .img is in there. I even tried moving into the /sdcard/ directory to run flash_image.

All the other steps leading up to that worked fine. I'm so frustrated - thanks for the help...
    12-13-2011 09:24 PM
    Holy moly... first of all this thread is quite old
    Second, this recovery is not for your phone, it is for the Virgin Mobile Optimus V.
    Try looking in the forum for your own phone.

Tapatalkin it from my IHO CM7.1'd, ICS Themed Optimus V
    12-13-2011 10:11 PM
    Is Android so fractured that the same problems on two different phones have to have different solutions? This is the thread that google brings up when looking at the specific error.

I can't believe that a system works so thoroughly different that the question is not applicable under the thread - folks yell at people to search, and when they do and resurrect a thread, rather than starting a new one, they get jumped on.
    12-15-2011 11:33 AM
    It's not the solution that needs to be different, the software you're trying to use is made for different hardware with different storage formats and different partition maps.
    the recovery is being polite telling you it can't work right on your device rather than just overwriting it with stuff that might brick you.
    make sure to use a recovery made for your device.
    Is Android so fractured that the same problems on two different phones have to have different solutions? This is the thread that google brings up when looking at the specific error.

I can't believe that a system works so thoroughly different that the question is not applicable under the thread - folks yell at people to search, and when they do and resurrect a thread, rather than starting a new one, they get jumped on.
    12-15-2011 11:42 AM
    It's not the solution that needs to be different, the software you're trying to use is made for different hardware with different storage formats and different partition maps.
    the recovery is being polite telling you it can't work right on your device rather than just overwriting it with stuff that might brick you.
    make sure to use a recovery made for your device.
    This is a far more useful and constructive post. Thank you.
    12-15-2011 11:47 AM
    This is a far more useful and constructive post. Thank you.
    for future reference, keep in mind that with Android rom development and related tasks (flashing recoverys, etc) you really should ONLY use software made for a specific phone model.

and yes, some solutions are different across different models. if two phones are having the same problem, sometimes the solutions can be different. not for every problem, but it happens
    12-15-2011 01:20 PM
    Stop using ROM Manager, it currently doesn't work well with the Optimus V.

Download xionia recovery and place it on your sdcard, just put it on there, don't put it in a folder, it'll be easier.

If you haven't already, install SuperUser by ChainsDD from the market, run it once.

If you haven't already, install Terminal Emulator from the market, open it and type: flash_image

If you get flash_image: not found, you need to download flash_image, unzip it and put it on your sdcard with the xionia recovery file you downloaded earlier.

(If you get flash_image usage: flash_image partition file.img , skip the next step, it is already installed)

Open Terminal Emulator and type:

su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /system /system
    cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image

If you get an error, you will have to use Root Explorer or adb to put flash_image in system/bin, and then just type in terminal emulator:

su

If you get through that without any errors, you can then use flash_image in terminal emulator to install the xionia recovery, type:

su
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/xionia_cwma_12518.4_virgin.img

Now you can boot into recovery and install any custom ROM.

Be sure to backup first in recovery before you wipe or flash or format anything!
    I have xionia installed but I still get a status 7 error when trying to flash a zip please help
    07-06-2012 09:25 AM
    Try with Jerryscript's newest. That should work.

thus he spake.
    07-06-2012 06:23 PM
    Stop what your doing don't flash aospcmod as its been unsupported for a long time now.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    07-06-2012 09:00 PM
    Hi Silas,

asopCMod is severely outdated and no longer maintained. Please see this thread http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=156548 (specifically scrolling down to the second post for information and links to all of our currently supported ROMs.

Thread closed to avoid further confusion. Please feel free to post a new thread or in the appropriate thread for whichever ROM you choose if you need help or have any questions. Thanks!
    07-06-2012 10:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD