Best carrier to use in the Tuscany area?

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone, I'm going to be traveling to Italy in the next few weeks and was hoping someone could advise me on the carrier with the best coverage in the Tuscany area. I'm planning on getting a sim card in Florence but I haven't been able to figure out which carrier has the best coverage. I will be using a Nexus 5X which should be compatible with the major carriers according willmyphonework.net. I'm on a Verizon prepaid plan so I can't use their International plan.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Also the title should have read "Best carrier to use in the Tuscany area".

Last edited:

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I should have mentioned that. I don't need to keep my own number, a local number would be fine. Looking for data coverage mostly. Calls back to the US would be a plus but not required. Thanks for the replies.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I've only used Vodafone and Verizon over there; signing up for Verizon post paid is obviously more expensive but could work to get you on their international plan. Vodafone is good service, but they cap the data pretty low, so it can become expensive. I'll ask some friends if there are better options.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I've only used Vodafone and Verizon over there; signing up for Verizon post paid is obviously more expensive but could work to get you on their international plan. Vodafone is good service, but they cap the data pretty low, so it can become expensive. I'll ask some friends if there are better options.

Thanks. Verizon postpaid is out of contention I'm afraid. You have to be a "customer in good standing" for 30 days or words to that effect and I don't have that much time and the prepaid deal is too good to give up. I have heard good things about the International Plan from other people that have used it. The hassle involved just isn't worth it when I can just get a sim there.

I probably don't need too much data. 1 or 2 GBs should do it. Mostly email and maybe a bit of Google Maps.

TIM and Wind are the two besides Vodaphone that keep popping up.

Thanks again.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
That could work for sure. Any idea on how good the coverage is? I'll take a look at the link you posted. Again, many thanks.

Just looked at the link. That plan is exactly what I was looking for.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Service is great, speeds aren't the highest but they're good enough that nothing feels slow and call quality is great. When home I spend most of my time in Sienna and Florence so that's the same region you're talking about.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Well I'm here in Tuscany and ended up getting a Vodafone Sim. I got 300 mins of calls and 4GB of data for 25 Euro. Coverage has been pretty good. No signal in a couple of remote spots, but pretty good for the most part. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1