CrackBerry.com on Android - Round Robin

Status
Not open for further replies.

jankyhanky#WP

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I'm switching. I'd rather have a BB but the lack of WiFi on the current Tour is a dealbreaker. I go to class in a lot of concrete basements. I'm tired of Windows Mobile. I put more labor into making it useable than I would've paid for full retail on the phone. Android is more appealing just out of the box.

Oh and I am very upset at T-mobile picking up all the best phones. Even the Nexus1, a friggin unlocked phone, goes to T-mobile. Who does that??? I bet Nokia will be laughing all the way to the bank if this keeps up.

Last edited:

royk

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I hate to say it, but having seen Motorola's recent and rumored lineups...

...I'm feeling Motorola was accidentally successful with their design of the Droid. It looks just different enough for it to be considered something unique and interesting, but, looking at what else they have out and coming, it's fairly obvious it just happened to end up that way.

Motorola has a history of impressive industrial-styled design with their flagship devices, dating back to the V60, the razr, etc. They do seem to mail in the rest of their line-up though, for the most part.

Sayo

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
The conversation seems to be trickling off, but it was very interesting this week! I'm curious to see what's in store Sunday/Monday.

Tacos

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I figured I would go ahead and throw my hat into the ring once more.

I've read just about every messege in the thread thus far and really enjoy it. As others have said, it's a fantastic source of information and consumer opinion.

Last edited:

soccernamlak

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Motorola has a history of impressive industrial-styled design with their flagship devices, dating back to the V60, the razr, etc. They do seem to mail in the rest of their line-up though, for the most part.

Agreed. They've had a history. Then they took too long with the RAZR design, milked it for what it was worth, and hasn't (past the Droid and maybe Cliq) produced anything that turned heads.

Fobok

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Adding another post for the contest entry. Wish I could add more to the conversation, but afraid I don't have much more to add at this point. :)

Knyte

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
My first smartphone was a Blackberry Curve 8330 from Alltel. It was a learning experience for me coming form a "dumbphone" but it was/is a great phone nonetheless.
I got the chance to do an early upgrade and after using and "mastering" my curve as well being a crackberry addict; I decided to go for the Storm2 since it was the new BB kid on the VZW block. I will admit that I did eye and try out the DROID in the store, but I was blinded by the berry.

Not even 5 hours after getting the Storm2 I started having issues with it.
My first issue was a USB error stating that the connection didn't have enough power to charge the phone. Not enough power.. my desktop doesn't have enough power to charge a Storm2 but had no issues charging up my 8330.. WTF??!!

I took the phone back only to have it make a liar out of me as the techs could not reproduce the issue and even asked me if I had the computer plugged in.. LMAO I said yes it's a desktop system not a laptop.
Out of the store I went and I could just hear the Storm2 snickering at me or maybe it was the weak vibrate function and someone was calling me lol..

The following issues occurred with the touchscreen: Lower left section of the screen would lock up.. uh oh.. that's the answer call/send button.. can't press it to answer calls.. oh hell NO
This was unacceptable!! I did my searching on crackberry.com to try and find some answers but I really couldn't find anything except the usual "battery pull & pray".

Needless to say, I went through 4 Storm2 devices before switching to the DROID. The 4 units I had were horrible when it came to the touchscreen.
Hold the device in the left hand(I'm left handed), have the dial pad open and with your left thumb, tap the number 3. This, at least for the 4 units I had, resulted in the #, *, 7, 4, and 1 flashing pretty much in the order I listed. If you pressed the screen, the last key to flash would be the one the register.
Adding to that, the the send key would freeze that corner of the screen and it wouldn't press down. The end button was fine and would press down and make the click.. 4 units had these issues and that is a very big problem in my opinion.
Every single Storm2 should be recalled and given an exhaustive QA test before ever being released into the wild again or just scrapped so RIM can get a fresh start with a better phone.

After many frustrating events with the Storm2 and the VZW corp store near me(rat bastards!!), I decided it was time to see what the DROID can really do. I have been very happy thus far with the DROID.

• No BBM but hey that's one small thing IMHO. I live just fine without it.
  • Much faster native browser than the BB.
  • Android OS just seems smoother than the BB OS
  • The camera on the DROID takes much better photos than the the 8330 and Storm2.
  • Not having to yank my battery out after installation/removal of an app is great!
  • Not having to yank my battery because my phones get loopy every few days is something I surely don't miss!
  • Not having to close open programs because the Android OS has better memory management than the BB is definitely a plus in my book.
  • Using my Jabra BT8040 has been flawless. No issues with pairing at all and it just works.. lol

While there are times I do miss my BB, the DROID reminds me that I made the logical choice. Yes it's a different experience but it is also a much much better one.

jankyhanky#WP

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Agreed. They've had a history. Then they took too long with the RAZR design, milked it for what it was worth, and hasn't (past the Droid and maybe Cliq) produced anything that turned heads.

True that. Look at the new androids to be released in China. They are fugly despite any reviewers saying otherwise to build up hype. Sholes Tablet for example.

Sep 29, 2009
Visit site
I have the Sprint Hero and it's my 3rd smartphone and it is by far the best phone for what I need, I had the Palm Pre before this but the build quality and the lack of apps and a full SDK made me switch to the Hero I really love WebOS but Palm needs to get it into more devices and open it up for developers and allow them access to the core of the Phone/OS, and my first smartphone was the Blackberry Pearl 8130 (I still love it) it really got me interested in smartphones and all they have to offer

soccernamlak

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
True that. Look at the new androids to be released in China. They are fugly despite any reviewers saying otherwise to build up hype. Sholes Tablet for example.

Haha, the Sholes Tablet needs an upgrade in the looks department. Hopefully Motorola doesn't take the Droid's success being based on looks alone. Otherwise, we're gonna see 5 years of landscape QWERTY, boxed Android devices from them.

ripcity00

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I tell you what, I've been upset (started a new contract before the Hero came out), I had a chance to look at the HTC Hero and man I was BLOWIN away!!! I would give up my Palm Pre in a second for the HTC Hero!!!! That phone has everything I need...who CARES about multi-tasking cards! I tell you what I thought the Pre was the setting the standard in cell phone OS but I was WRONG! If I could get my hands on the HTC Hero I would be a DREAM COME TRUE!!! After just 5 minutes playing around with the HTC Hero, I was HOOKED! PALM watch out, you have some SERIOUS competition and NO I'm not talking about the iPhone!!!!

What things about the Hero did you like over the Palm or was it just the overall experience? I had a similar reaction to the Droid vs Palm. I think it was the combination of big screen, bigger keyboard and the overall speed that caught my eye. I also liked the built in nav, voice search etc...

klebron23

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
For devices, I'm using the Droid and the Hero. So I want to know from you all:

1. how do you find the hardware (comfort of use, ease of use)?
I think that the Droid hardware is very nice. It feels solid and I like the fact that it is a little bit heavy.

2. how do you find the battery life (everyday light/normal use, heavy use)?
I have been able to get about a day out of the battery.

3. if you we're a BB user and switched up to give Android a test, what do you like and not like about it?
I like how you can customize everything and the web browsing, I don't feel as though email is as fast on the Droid.

4. what are the must have apps? how does the device do with running them all?
I have not installed any apps yet.

5. how do you go about loading up the device with media (music, movies, etc.)
I just load my library from my computer on to the Droid.

6. with all that, i want to know your background - are you in business (using it for professional use), a consumer, a student, young, old, male, female, etc.
I am a college student.
and let me know anything else you think I need to know!

Mucho thanks!![/QUOTE]

ripcity00

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
While there is a lot of talk on the Round Robin forums about potential for splintering with Android similar to WM, it does seem like there is economy of scale right now with so many manufacturers, developers etc getting behind the platform. Great for users to have so many choices and the momentum building...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance