Looking into buying a PSP 3000, HELP ME OUT!

Corey

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I have one, and it's ok. This is actually my second PSP, with the first being a launch day PSP.

How good the PSP is really depends on what you want to do with it and the types of games you like the play.

Pros:

- Beautiful, large screen
- Respectable battery life
- Nice connection between it and the PS3
- Not a bad system once it's hacked and homebrewed

Cons:

- No second analog stick. This wouldn't be as much of a problem if they didn't keep trying to shoehorn game styles onto the platform that all but require having a second analog stick, like FPS kind of games
- Even now, the game selection seems to be crap. There are few games that I want to own on a PSP, and a big part of that is because of the above reason. There are some really good games, don't get me wrong, but fewer than there should be on a system that's been out for this long
- Not that great of a system when it's not hacked and homebrewed

To me (just a personal opinion really) it's a really underwhelming system that never lived up to the vast potential. What's really sad is that if it had something as simple as a second analog stick, I believe that would vastly change my opinion of the system for the better and really open it up to far superior games. If all the PSP2 did was fix that one problem, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. As it is though, it's mediocre. If you're looking for something you can hack, tinker with, flash different homebrew apps onto it, then it's a respectable way to go. If you're looking for a portable gaming system that has a good number of fun games to kill time here and there, you're probably better off with some flavor of Nintendo DS.

Reactions: joeynigro

joeynigro

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
What exactly does homebrew(ing?) do?

What about online gaming (not ad hoc, as I don't have a PS3.)

I'm planning on getting the 3000, rather than the GO, just because physical games make more sense, especially being able to get them used.

How do you feel about the graphics? I have heard everything from them being excellent to them being equivalent to PS2 graphics. (I know the screen is great, I am just asking about the graphics themselves?)

I've heard mixed reviews about durability. Dead pixels? I hear a lot about that problem, but it often comes from people who drop their system or carry it in their pocket a lot.

Thanks so so much for your help!

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
My friend gave me a fat PSP recently, and I'm just starting to learn about homebrew myself. I'll be following this thread closely :D

And great discusson guys - just as a friendly reminder in advance, let's keep ROMs out of it. Thanks!

Sent by a little green robot

Corey

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Homebrewing is similar to rooting. It allows you to install stuff that isn't on the phone, like various apps to add functionality. I really don't know much on details because I have little interest in it. The only thing on Homebrew that appeals to me is the ability to run various Emulators to play old NES, SNES, and Genesis games, but I picked up a little portable gaming system on ThinkGeek that does that out of the box for pretty cheap that I don't have to worry about bricking my PSP. I'm sure there are many many many things out there for homebrew info, but I'm not really into the whole thing, so I can't speak for more than emulation.

Also, Sony updates the firmware on their PSP fairly regularly. While they do add some functionality that can be welcomed, it also locks out any homebrew stuff. Where they get you is when future games require a certain firmware to run and you can either update your firmware and lose homebrew, or not buy new games.

Online gaming really depends on the game. I haven't really played any that are heavy online games, so I can't really comment on how well it works.

The graphics on the system are quite good. They're crisp, the screen looks beautiful, and it's really the best part of the system. The system has been out long enough that most of the games look quite impressive.

Dead Pixels: my first PSP had one. Not actually a dead pixel, but a stuck pixel. It was mildly annoying to have a little blue dot that wouldn't change, but it wasn't enough for me to do a warranty swap. My 3000 has been flawless. I like the disc door better on the original PSP, but I understand completely why they simplified it. Quality on the unit is about top notch. No bad edges or goofy buttons, though the one analog stick that is on it is just awful. It's too small, it doesn't feel right, and it makes my left hand cramp up like crazy from being in an awkward area. If it was about half an inch more to the right, it would make things much better.

joeynigro

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Cool. Thats all real helpful. The game selection looks pretty suitable for me. I think I'm going to get one. I'm glad to hear you're pleased about the screen. That was one of the biggest concerns for me.

sohma

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I got a PSP fat and found it relatively easy to make it "homebrew" compatible. I loved being able to take it around, play, movies, and games with out carrying a bunch of UMDs.

If you're interested in DS "homebrew", check out the TTDS and R4i carts. I have gotten rid of my hand held systems and was eying the DS XL but I think I'll hold with the 3DS coming out.

justinterry

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
How do you feel about them? Pros, cons? Thanks for the help!

i have a psp3000 (my second psp also), got it before i got my captivate

i actually use it for the multimedia (mp3player, photos, and web browsing) although the web browser is mediocre (no flash)

and i wouldnt waste my money on umds. they get lost, and break easily (ive bought about 10, only have 2 working games). u cant lose a downloaded game.

im looking into putting android on it too :cool:

look into the Xperia Play from sony. i mainly use my psp as a mp3 player.

good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463