02-13-2010 04:26 PM
35 12
tools
    I'm considering moving from the 3GS to the N1. I'd like to hear reports from those who have moved from the iPhone to the N1. Likes and dislikes? How are you adjusting to the relatively fewer number of available apps?
    What do I do with the music that I've purchased in iTunes? Is there any issue loading that music into the N1? How is the battery life used under similar conditions to those under which you used your iPhone?
    01-18-2010 10:10 AM
    01-18-2010 12:03 PM
    I moved from my iPhone 3GS on AT&T to the Nexus One on T-Mobile and I'm never gonna look back! I love that I am paying less per month for a faster device with faster speeds. The battery life so far has been on par or better than my 3GS. As far as the music, I don't know, I've never purchased any music on iTunes. My Nexus One plays all my mp3 and wma's just fine. The 'ol 3GS is now on eBay!
    01-18-2010 12:33 PM
    I moved from my iPhone 3GS on AT&T to the Nexus One on T-Mobile and I'm never gonna look back! I love that I am paying less per month for a faster device with faster speeds. The battery life so far has been on par or better than my 3GS. As far as the music, I don't know, I've never purchased any music on iTunes. My Nexus One plays all my mp3 and wma's just fine. The 'ol 3GS is now on eBay!

The other thread you wrote:

I bought the phone unlocked and popped in my old T-Mobile SIM card. I've been a T-Mobile Customer for 5 years and I have the $39.99 plan with 1000 minutes + nights & weekends. I added the Android Data for $24.99. I love the fast 3G speeds on this phone and I love that with T-Mobile I only pay a fraction of what my iPhone friends pay!!
    In another thread you said you had been with T-Mobile for 5 years. Not AT&T. Basically you never had an iPhone. Just figured it would be right to set the record straight. So basically you never had an iPhone, right?
    01-18-2010 10:59 PM
    I was with iPhone and AT&T for a year. Since I had 3G this is a huge upgrade and still debating to move to T-Mobile or not. But I really like android way more than iPhone
    01-19-2010 12:38 AM
    Does anyone know about moving or syncing MP3's that currently reside in iTunes with an android device?
    01-19-2010 08:07 AM
    I'm considering moving from the 3GS to the N1. I'd like to hear reports from those who have moved from the iPhone to the N1. Likes and dislikes? How are you adjusting to the relatively fewer number of available apps?
    What do I do with the music that I've purchased in iTunes? Is there any issue loading that music into the N1? How is the battery life used under similar conditions to those under which you used your iPhone?
    1. 90% of the apps I used on the iPhone, I have on the Nexus. I actually found some better apps in Android Market (Google Sky Map, My Tracks, WiFi Analyzer, Network Discovery) - 1/2 the stuff in the Apple App store is fart machines, fake gun sounds and kid stuff. I can do without that anyhow. The only two I miss are Things and 1Password.

2. Music might be one of the weakest points. The player skin is ugg and I am having buffering issues when streaming BT audio (I read that it is an Android issue since they implemented A2DP) - BUT! You have the Amazon music store where you can get DRM free albums for $2-5 (entire albums!) - I drag and drop my music to the Mac via the USB cable. No problems there.

3. Battery is about the same (for me) - you can turn a bunch of things off or tweak more settings than you could on the iPhone so maybe you can squeeze more. Plus the battery is removable so just carry a spare if its an issue.

I won't get into a long ramble about the iPhone vs. the Nexus but I will say, I used Blackberrys for 3 years, then all 3 versions of the iPhone. I don't miss ANY of them (well except my Bold - that was an all-time great device) - if there was one thing that was hard to adjust to when first switching from the iPhone, it is the touchscreen. The sensitivity / response is not the same and will frustrate you. Just give it a week or so to retrain the fingers and you should adjust. I was ready to give in and go back after the first weekend but now love the Nexus. No dropped calls, way more options and customization, outstanding voice quality, I am happy I switched.
    01-19-2010 09:27 AM
    Does anyone know about moving or syncing MP3's that currently reside in iTunes with an android device?
    my understanding is they will need to be DRM free. ie: if you have MP3's they should be fine. I haven't tried any Apple specific files. An app like Missing Sync from Mark/Space should bridge the gap between iTunes and Android if necessary.
    I just read about an app on another thread called DoubleTwist. Looks perfect, gonna download it and give it a go.
    01-19-2010 09:37 AM
    I love my new Nexus but if it were me and I was happy with att and the iPhone, and had only one line to play with I think I would wait to see what apple has out with the 4thgen iPhone. Plus by then the nexus will probably have an update.
    01-19-2010 10:33 AM
    sold my 3GS - was Jailbroken, unlocked, using on T-Mo....

but just got tired of it... had iphones since '07 (iphone 2G... it died... then got a 3GS)... simply went with the Nexus One for something new, refreshing, different... and in some ways better... some things are equal... some things not quite as good as iphone... but overall quite happy with my Nexus One... we'll see what the 4th gen iphone hardware brings...
    01-19-2010 10:57 AM

What program are you using to play WMAs?
    01-19-2010 02:39 PM
    Would like to know that also because I loaded a album (wma) and I get the " does not support this file type"
    01-19-2010 03:28 PM
    In another thread you said you had been with T-Mobile for 5 years. Not AT&T. Basically you never had an iPhone. Just figured it would be right to set the record straight. So basically you never had an iPhone, right?
    Both carriers use SIM cards, the only difference being in the frequency that they each use for 3G data. Therefore, he could have owned an iPhone and used it on T-Mobile, he would be stuck on Edge data is all. FYI
    01-20-2010 11:47 AM
    Try Salling Media Sync - I found that to be the fastest and smoothest solution. Syncs your video podcasts and audio playlists without an issue. And it's not stuffed full of things you'll never need like The Missing Sync.

dawiz

ps: no, I don't work for Salling
    01-21-2010 06:29 AM
    I'm switching from iPhone to the Nexus. My phone is on order.
    01-22-2010 10:05 AM
    Nice review. It's always great when someone takes the time to write one of these.
    01-22-2010 10:23 AM
    ^^ Thanks Cory
    01-22-2010 10:54 AM
    I had an iPhone 3G for the last year. Longtime Mac OS X user with a 35gb music library in MP3 and AAC format.

I use DoubleTwist to sync music onto the N1. DoubleTwist reads your iTunes libraries and directly syncs playlists. Works perfectly.

I have a lot of AAC files on my N1, but I don't know exactly when I purchased them or what their DRM status is.

I find the music quality of the N1 to be excellent. I'm comparing it with a Samsung P3, a player with a known reputation for good sound, not an iPod. The player interface isn't great but stands up to the iPod player (again, not great) in most respects. I miss the slow scrubbing from the iPhone/iPod Touch.

Sync your address book contacts with your Google account (in Address book preferences) and all your iPhone contacts will sync OTA to your N1. Works great.

DoubleTwist also syncs photos and videos, but I haven't used it for that.

Other than Rock Band, and an occasional multitouch pang, I haven't missed the iPhone.
    01-22-2010 09:55 PM
    Have both my iPhone 3GS and a Nexus One on order. Could never give up my iPhone.
    01-25-2010 03:34 PM
    Ok, here it is! The day the G1 came out I bought it and used the Android OS and loved it but there was just too much crashing and sluggish performance for me. So then I went to the BlackBerry Storm and we wont even talk about that... Let's just say I will never buy another blackberry touchscreen phone. Then I got the iPhone and I LOVED it... for a week or two. I started see that I couldn't do half the stuff I wanted to do like, heres a shocker, upload my own ringtones from phonezoo (Please don't reply with the "well you can do it this way, because I don't care). Then I noticed that this form of "Push" notification was a joke and didn't tell me half of the notifications it was setup to do. The list goes on and on about how I just noticed the iPhone was for people who really don't care about the information they received but rather the awesome media support it has.

Ok, so I was surfing the web and I keep seeing a banner for the Nexus One and I was like what the hell, so I paid the 500 bucks for it hoping it would not leave me sad for the switch and it did right the opposite. In the 2 days I have had it all my notifications come in on time and I don't miss text messages from people (I am still on the AT&T network so I don't want to see the replies saying it was the network). When I am in a program and I get a phone call I don't have to cuss and fuss because I just lost whatever I was working on at the time, even if it's just a game I am playing. And the speed is on par with my 3G S. The only downfall would be the games and some of the iPhone only apps I will miss. But IMO if you are looking for something a little more dependable when it comes to getting the information you ask for then grab this phone. With a little common sense and the use of... Google... you can work your way through getting this phone to do anything you want. Hope this helped.
    01-25-2010 10:36 PM
    iPhone 3GS -> ATT BB9700 -> TMo BB9700 -> N1.

So, in a round-a-bout way, yeah. But I had a BB in-between. Lol.
    01-26-2010 02:48 AM
    I upgraded from my 3G iPhone to the N1, and really love it! I cant post links on here yet (need 10 posts, I guess) but I did a youtube video on the "5 Reason the Nexus One is Better Than the iPhone". But are great smartphones, but there are some really cool things the N1 does that a techie will appreciate.

I sold my original iPhone and 3G on ebay and it more than paid for me N1! ;-)
    01-26-2010 07:18 PM
    Blackberry Pearl -> iPhone 3GS -> Nexus One

So far the N1 is the best of the bunch!
    02-01-2010 04:46 PM
    - iPhone 2G (private) - slow

- iPhone 3G (private) - slow

- iPhone 3GS (private) - ok but limited, low screen-res, annoyingly infantile choice of apps (fart apps, tons of useless games, only a handful of usable titles)

- Touch HD2 (work) - battery? What battery? That thing doesn't last more than 4 hours with an instant messenger running in the BG. Great screen, operating system from hell. Went back after a 10 day eval (thank goodness)

- Blackberry Storm 2 (work) - great phone. For my purposes it's close to perfect. I love typing on that thing. Had it for a couple of weeks now and I haven't seen any of the often reported problems (dropped calls, reboots etc).

- Nexus One (private): fast, beautiful, meaningful app selection, battery life sucks, though and charging the bat takes forever.

So for me it's the combo: BB Storm 2 for work and the N1 for play - couldn't be happier about that at the moment.
    02-02-2010 07:05 AM
    if you are looking for something a little more dependable when it comes to getting the information you ask for then grab this phone. With a little common sense and the use of... Google... you can work your way through getting this phone to do anything you want. Hope this helped.
    agreed.
    my route: iPhone v1 > BB Bold > iPhone 3GS > N1

the Nexus/Android is the perfect Apple/RIM hybrid.
    02-02-2010 12:30 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD