Any opinions would be very welcome!

wezra

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I am looking at dumping my Blackberry 8900 on T-Mobile in the next few days. I have been a BB user for 10 years (yes, even before they were phones!) and am frankly tired of them. The browser experience is horrible and it is just the same old, same old. So I have decided to jump into the Android pool. Now.. after checking out the phones at T-Mobile I have narrowed it down to two that I like... the myTouch 3G Fender Edition and the Samsung Behold II. Other then the out of date OS on the Samsung.. which I understand is going to be updated fairly soon... does anyone have any opinions of these two phones that would be helpful in choosing my first Android phone? Your help would be much appreciated from a soon to be "former" Blackberry user... Thanks again....

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! I moved your thread to a sub-forum where there's lot's of existing info on this topic. Please check it out.

wezra

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Cory... I am just to used to Crackberry.com. Looks like I will have a new home with my first Android phone!

wezra

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Right on - it's a pleasure to see another convert! :)

Would you have any personal opinions on either the myTouch 3G Fender vs. the Samsung Behold II?

My only concern with the Behold II is that it is running an older OS version and from what I understand it needs to be updated. I do like the fact that it has the 5 mega pixel camera w/flash and the form factor is nice. The myTouch 3G Fender is upgraded from the standard model, but no flash (which I don't understand) and their seems to be some complaints about the OS freezing up. To bad the two aren't merged into one... I like the myTouch form factor and design better, but kind of like the Samsung software better. Oh Well.....

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I have zero hands on experience with either device, but if it were me I would get the 3G Fender. Here in the US, the Samsung Moment has exhibited 1 hardware issue after another. If you look in the forums here you will see many complaints about this device that I would find unacceptable (overheating, calling 911 on it's own, etc.) And like you said, it's running an older OS. The Fender hasn't been a hot topic here on the forums, but from what I can see, in my research, I'd be all over it if we had it in the US.

wezra

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I have zero hands on experience with either device, but if it were me I would get the 3G Fender. Here in the US, the Samsung Moment has exhibited 1 hardware issue after another. If you look in the forums here you will see many complaints about this device that I would find unacceptable (overheating, calling 911 on it's own, etc.) And like you said, it's running an older OS. The Fender hasn't been a hot topic here on the forums, but from what I can see, in my research, I'd be all over it if we had it in the US.

I appreciate the input. I did have some hands on time with the myTouch Fender Edition. I have to admit it is one very nice looking device. And its funny you should mention issues with the Samsung. When I was looking at it in the T-Mobile store the demo unit would not fire up. They got it to start booting up and then it would shut itself down. Needless to say the sales rep was totally embarrased. It was a brand new unit. CNet was not to keen on the 3D spinning icon that has pre-loaded links to specific programs on it that you can't customize. They called it a waste of time and precious device memory.

The only issue I have with the myTouch Fender is the lack of a flash for the camera. But truth be known I rarely take pictures indoors in low light anyway so in the end that is not a deal killer. Well... I think your input has helped me make a decision (finally!) and I have a feeling its the right one. Thanks for the help. I should be picking up the phone within the next week and will let you know my first impressions. Remember however, this is my first Android phone so I am not at all knowledgable about the OS or the capabilities... it will take a while. Thank you again....

AZbear

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
I think you have made a good decision. My wife had the Behold II for about 12 days. She had so many problems with it that she traded up to the MyTouch 3G and has been happy with that for 2 months now.

Please do let us know what your impressions are!

itechyou

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I also came from a blackberry to android. I got the fender edition mytouch on the day it came out and absolutely love it. The issue with the flash is a moot point for me seeing as how often I take pics in low enough light settings for it to be a problem.

wezra

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Seems I have changed out a bit... my choices are now between the myTouch Fender and the Motorola CLIQ. I have read so many negatives on the Samsung Behold II that I don't want to chance it. To many software issues and some hardware issues as well. The myTouch Fender and CLIQ have the two most up to date Androis OS's that T-Mobile has, which I feel is a plus.

The two complaints about the CLIQ that I have read most about are concerning "dead spots" on the touch screen (which T-Mobile and Motorola say will be fixed when the new OS update is released shortly) and the slide out keyboard. Some seem to have an issue with the key layout. The complaints about the myTouch 3G seem to center around an older processor that is being used. I think the Fender Edition uses a newer processor then the standard edition of the myTouch 3G... so that should not be a problem. The Fender also has more onboard memory and new HTC upgraded media software.

This is a tough decision... but the fact is that which ever one I walk out of the store with if I don't like it I can exchange it within 15 days. I also have my buddies on Crackberry.com insisting that I upgrade to a BB 9700... I don't think that is going to happen!