Motorola Droid vs Samsung Moment anyone?

giper54

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
Have a Black Berry Bold 9000 but the small screen is finally driving me crazy. I am paying all this money for the internet, but I really don't use it because the screen is too small and the web browser is a pain.

I have used a Motorola Droid and Samsung Moment at their respective stores, but was wondering if has used both phones in the real world.

The one difference I noticed is that the Samsung definitely had a lag when typing, but the web browser seemed to launch a lot faster than the droid.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
The biggest difference between the phones:
Keyboard:
Most like the Samsung moment's better as many complain about the Droid's keyboards lack of responsiveness. I would say if you get a droid, make sure you like the keyboard before you even leave the store.
Processor:
The Moment has a faster processor at 800mhz vs droid's 600mhz... but you can overclock the droid's with root/rom to upwards of 1.1 and it still be stable (most are content with 800-850)
The Droid is also using 2.0.1, which is supposedly a smoother and less demanding OS. The Moment supposedly is getting 2.1 very soon. Since the Moment works on 1.5 which isn't natively supported by 1.5, I would say there are some issues in general with 1.5 on CDMA phones.
Both run vanilla, but the Droid's OS can do much much more now (especially new apps and games).
I would check out the moment again once it gets 2.1 to see if you can deal with it. The sprint bill alone is worth it, but 1.5 sucks, I have a Hero and I have a list of apps to download once I get 2.1.

entwined82

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Don't discount the Droid's keyboard on a 5 minute demo. I hated it at first but I chose the Droid as I liked the soft keyboard better. After 2-3 weeks I'm pretty comfortable on the Droid keyboard, it just took some time and use.

I've never used the Moment aside from a brief in store demo but I will say this, I loved the keyboard but hated the screen, it felt really laggy and unresponsive to me.

billbobaggins

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Have a Black Berry Bold 9000 but the small screen is finally driving me crazy. I am paying all this money for the internet, but I really don't use it because the screen is too small and the web browser is a pain.

I have used a Motorola Droid and Samsung Moment at their respective stores, but was wondering if has used both phones in the real world.

The one difference I noticed is that the Samsung definitely had a lag when typing, but the web browser seemed to launch a lot faster than the droid.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

My Droid has no lag when I open the browser.

shotgunbelly

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
My Droid is stock and there is no lag anywhere. I too came from a BlackBerry and there is no comparison there. As for moment or Droid, As Dieter Bohn said "pick your carrier first, then device". If Sprint will work for you, go Moment. If you choose Verizon, Droid is your phone. Sprint happens to not work well at all in my area. Even if it did, I have trouble following that advice, so i would still have a Droid on Verizon.

Last edited:

Apollo3T

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
I played with both a Moment and Droid today...the Moment's keyboard is light years better than the Droid IMO. However the Droid feels better built and I don't trust Samsung...yet I would prefer stock Android UI over Motoblur. It all comes down to preferences where we all differ.

ancient_dragon

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I played with both a Moment and Droid today...the Moment's keyboard is light years better than the Droid IMO. However the Droid feels better built and I don't trust Samsung...yet I would prefer stock Android UI over Motoblur. It all comes down to preferences where we all differ.
To my knowledge I thought the Motorola Droid was the one recent Motorola Android device without Motoblur. So unless I'm wrong, that part wouldn't play into the decision.

Personally I like the Moment better, but thats just me really. I see that the Droid does look like a very capable and good phone. I am just a big keyboard user, and the Moment's keyboard is just more me. But either way, I think both phones are pretty darn good, and you wouldn't regret either. So carrier choice should come first for sure.