Phone longevity

anon(2088)

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
What is Google's stance on backward compatibility?

Do they build updates for all Android devices and leave it up to the manufacturer/carrier to release that update for their devices?

One of the things I hated about windows mobile was that the manufacturer/carrier would not release updates because they wanted you to buy another phone.

If this is the case, what manufacturer/carrier would be the best choice when purchasing an Android phone?

Rusty Shackelford

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I don't think it would be an issue of software compatibility as much as hardware. The open nature of android would lead one to believe that android should be upgradable indefinitely, but hardware limitations are where you could find a snag.

There was speculation before doughnut was released that the G1 would not get the 1.6 upgrade due to lack of on board memory vs. the size of the update (Thank goodness for G1 users this was not the case). Though it was not a problem in this release it could be in the future.

Also, taking into consideration would be the manufactures hand in the specific device (aka, Hero with sense). Where HTC made there own custom interface, they have to adapt to the upgrades when they become available to maintain compatibility. The hero will be getting the eclair update, but it will take more time than those phones that just run the straight up android.

My suggestion would be to find the phone that has the best specks and the un-altered android user interface.

Anyone else have an opinion?

anon(2088)

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Is there any easy way to determine which device has been altered or not?

Is it possible to load an unaltered version of Android onto a device that originally had an altered OS, therefore eliminating the need to wait for a manufacturer update in the future?

Rusty Shackelford

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Just have to do your research on the phone itself.

A good example would be htc:

Hero = HTC sense User interface
mytouch and g1 = straight up android

When it comes to loading an os on a phone that is not designed for the phone, it is possible with the right research, but not necessarily the best route as there are optimizations made for different screen sizes, processor speeds etc...

Truth is when it comes to an android phone like the hero, it will be well worth the days/weeks it may take past the update. Truth is there are many that don't have the manufacture made UI that wish they did.

The bottom line is that android is still in its infant stages, but is rapidly gaining popularity and is being adopted by more and more manufactures and providers daily. If there is a company that has the ability to make android a true competitor, it is Google, and all signs point to Google making it so. Part of what turned me on to android was the rate at which it is being constantly changed and improved (as opposed to the piece meal style by BB and Apple).

Here is a prime example for you of what a possible result of why you want to wait for the updates to come out when they are optimized for your particular device.

YouTube - Android 2.0 Eclair running on my rooted G1 =D

Possible? Yes.
Effective? You decide. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams