So who's getting the Ion?

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I know this phones release has been a long time coming, so I was just wondering how many of us are still getting the ion. I'm definitely going for it, I've always liked Sony Ericsson phones and I'd like to support Sony now that they're out on their own. So, who else is in?

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Depends on how close they are to getting ics and if the screen and camera are better than the HTC One X. I was all for this phone until the one x showed its face.

The one x can be had for $100 at SAMs club. I wonder if the ION will be $50 or less at amazon or club store. Either way I have until August to figure it out.

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm very curious about the ION.Really should have been given the S4 Processor for better battery life,especially with LTE,non-removable battery,and big,beautiful screen.The price is right,though. Just wish AT&T had picked up the Xperia ARC S since so many were turned off by the original X10.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Didn't the ion have a clear line across the bottom with light up capacitive buttons? The pics up now just show a plain black bar phone. Or am I thinking of a different Sony phone???

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Didn't the ion have a clear line across the bottom with light up capacitive buttons? The pics up now just show a plain black bar phone. Or am I thinking of a different Sony phone???

You're thinking of the Xperia S, which came out internationally. The ion is the U.S. variant. It's kind of a bummer the translucent bar seems to be left out, but it's not a deal breaker for me. I know someone that had the S, and the bar was pretty, but it didn't do anything except light up. The buttons were actually little dots above the bar that were difficult to hit accurately. That being said, I really thought the design was great and it's too bad it wasn't improved upon for the ion.

Last edited:
Reactions: erwaso

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I saw that too, erwaso. Things are looking pretty good for the ion. I want to see Sony's take on Ice Cream Sandwich. They definitely know it needs to show up sooner rather than later.

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Sort of disappointing, the Xperia ION is scheduled for release tomorrow and there's still not one AT&T-branded ION unboxing video / review posted on YouTube. It seems lost between the iPhone,SGS3, and even the WP 7 Lumia 900. :'(

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Sort of disappointing, the Xperia ION is scheduled for release tomorrow and there's still not one AT&T-branded ION unboxing video / review posted on YouTube. It seems lost between the iPhone,SGS3, and even the WP 7 Lumia 900. :'(

Yeah seriously. It's being treated like a low end phone cuz of gingerbread and probably also lack of information about it since January imo. Regardless, I'm glad there are several options for those of us staying with ATT.

At the moment this phone is going against the Skyrocket. ...

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

I know, the internet is really letting me down. I mean, you see review videos for pretty much everything before launch. I'm really surprised that there's nothing for the ion. People are seriously sleeping on this phone.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Picked up the ion, there were only two in stock for launch day. The guy helping me out didn't even know if they had it in stock at first, even though there was a display model up. He thought it was interesting that I was asking for a Sony phone, but he realized why once he took it out of the box. It's a gorgeous phone, Sony did well.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Picked up the ion, there were only two in stock for launch day. The guy helping me out didn't even know if they had it in stock at first, even though there was a display model up. He thought it was interesting that I was asking for a Sony phone, but he realized why once he took it out of the box. It's a gorgeous phone, Sony did well.

Congrats! Were you able to compare the display to the one x or any other phone?

Is it speedy?

Can you see if it takes pics in low light or of moving objects well?

Thanks!

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Still no reviews or unboxing videos on YouTube. Looks like it's up to you,Paul. ;)

Will1524

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Phonedog has a 2 part review up if you don't mind not having a HD screen I would go with the skyrocket already messed around with it at at&t

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Congrats! Were you able to compare the display to the one x or any other phone?

Is it speedy?

Can you see if it takes pics in low light or of moving objects well?

Thanks!

From what I saw, the display of the ion and the One X are very similar. It goes without saying that both are top of the line screens. It's speedier than I expected, actually. Everything runs super smooth and I haven't run into any hiccups yet. The fact that it's running on the S3 doesn't seem to hamper performance at all. As for the camera, the low light shots look pretty good. I don't take that many pictures, but it definitely does a better job in that department than my RAZR does. The physical camera button can be set up to take a picture just by pressing it, even when the screen is off. It's a pretty cool trick.

Reactions: erwaso

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Still no reviews or unboxing videos on YouTube. Looks like it's up to you,Paul. ;)

Haha, I know right? There really hasn't been much on this phone out there, Android Central and Engadget put reviews up this morning right as the phone was launching. Oh, and there's nothing in the box but a charger, haha. I might end up getting a couple of the NFC tags, that might be fun.