Sony S Tablet on Sale for Sony Employees

pmjohnson99

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
I work on the Sony Lot here in Los Angeles. We have an electronics store that sells...well...electronics. Some what of a discount close-out space. Occasionally they have some great deals...but usually nothing to get you out of bed over.

Well I was on my break when I saw they will have the new Sony tablets on sale tomorrow at $349 and $395. I got to play around with it and it was "okay". I thought it felt more plasticy than it looked, but not cheap...just not as metally as I thought it was suppose to be. Seems like Sony has added a little to the UI as well, but nothing too horrific, it's still Gingerbread (3.1).

So do you think it's worth it? One caveat with buying from the "Family Store", as we call it, is that there are no returns. If you have a defect you have to deal with Sony directly, but no "test driving". So if I do buy then I'm stuck with it.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have one yet? And why isnt there a Tablet S forum?

+1 on that Sony Tablet S forum.

I'd jump on any tablet for $349.00. IMO, that should be the price of all tablets anyway. I played with the Sony at Best Buy and liked it as far as weight and feel go. I like that "fold over", or whatever they call it. It felt light too. But like the OP said, I thought it felt plasticy, and a little cheap. I did like the UI enhancements though.

firestpr111

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I just received my Sony S tablet, very excited but I had prepared for this tablet by putting several music albums on a SD card. When I insert the card the music won't play. 1st: the songs are not formatted for this device. I have to re-format all my music to MP3's ( does any body know of a conversion program where I can convert all my music at once, instead of one song or one album at a time). Conversion will take hours if you have lots of music. I think this tablet should play all formatted types. 2nd: I thought that the music would play directly from the SD card but from what I figured out you have to transfer the music from the external storage to the internal storage to play. Without detailed instructions its hard to figure this out. I have a $20. Sansa Sandisk that plays all my music from my laptop, why wouldn't this $600. device do the same. Help, please. And thanks, any assistance will be appreciated.
PS; I am getting to know this unit and it's pretty cool, I wsill post other likes and dislikes later

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I just received my Sony S tablet, very excited but I had prepared for this tablet by putting several music albums on a SD card. When I insert the card the music won't play. 1st: the songs are not formatted for this device. I have to re-format all my music to MP3's ( does any body know of a conversion program where I can convert all my music at once, instead of one song or one album at a time). Conversion will take hours if you have lots of music. I think this tablet should play all formatted types. 2nd: I thought that the music would play directly from the SD card but from what I figured out you have to transfer the music from the external storage to the internal storage to play. Without detailed instructions its hard to figure this out. I have a $20. Sansa Sandisk that plays all my music from my laptop, why wouldn't this $600. device do the same. Help, please. And thanks, any assistance will be appreciated.
PS; I am getting to know this unit and it's pretty cool, I wsill post other likes and dislikes later

I am intersested in this tablet. I would love to hear your review now that you have had it for awhile.

Last edited:

SirGeorgeKillian

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Here is a write-up I did on the G&A site.

I've been playing around with this new tablet for a few days now, and I have got to admit it is sweet. I have been looking for something that I can commute with when on the bike as my saddle bags size don't allow me to fit my laptop. I researched, googled, youtubed, even hit Wambli up hard with questions (as he recently went through the same thing) trying to find one that I would be happy with. I wanted a tablet with expandable memory, a decent battery life, and that wouldn't be too horribly outdated in the next 6 months or so. I went with a new contender, The Sony Tablet S. Here are a few of the things that really shined for me.
2011-11-20_17-56-49_907.jpg

First off the shape. While I actually did not like the wedge shape at first, it grew on me with its functionability. This folded magazine shape makes it much easier to hold in your hand than a flat tab. While the center of gravity is surprisingly still in the center, the extra mass just fits your hand better. The screen auto rotates so it doesn't mater if you are using your right hand or left. Another little benefit is if you are using sans case, it will angle its self slightly towards you when set on a flat surface, this helps with glare.
2011-11-20_17-58-37_697.jpg

The case is an easel case which means it folds up on it's self to prop it up. Cool feature, and it keeps the screen protected when in transit. My only beef, is that the flap that secures it covers the IR port. I tried to use my soldering iron to make a professional looking hole in the leather, but being a leather case the tablet is able to move just enough to justify me having to make the hole a little bigger. Oh well, not a big deal.
2011-11-20_18-00-55_204.jpg

The IR port brings something new to the table. Here you have a smart universal remote at your fingertips with hundreds of devices built in, and the ability to "learn" new devices using the remote. I was able to make a single remote for the day room at the fire house that can control the TV, cable box, Blue Ray player, and surround sound. Cool feature. The devices are able to be labeled and you can store plenty of them.
2011-11-20_18-00-39_648.jpg

The screen is very responsive, so far this is the only one that really preforms similarly to the iPad. The commands are snappy and fluid. Hands down this is one of the best touch screens on any Android device I have got to use. The surface is actually plastic, which at first felt just like that. My fingers didn't glide across the screen well at all, but after using it for a few hours, it was just like the gorilla glass on my Droid Bionic. The display is very crisp and the colors are rich. A very impressive display indeed.
2011-11-20_18-04-39_844.jpg

In a side by side test the tab was only about 2 seconds slower to load the G&A home page than my laptop was. Also noted that the laptop has adblocker on it, so that may have helped load the page faster. Web pages do load quickly though, and the interface works well with most pages.
2011-11-20_18-06-02_373.jpg

The charging cord is proprietary which at first I was less than thrilled about. Until I had it charging and Kimber snagged the cord with her foot and it quickly broke free. On a standard plug in, the tablet would have ether hit the ground, or there could have been damage where it was plugged in. I am actually liking the Sony setup.
Another thing to point out, the tablet is Playstation certified, and you can buy original PS1 and PSP games from the Sony market. I did download a game optimized for the S Tablet and although the game was a complete rip off of the Halo series, the graphics were impressive for a tablet based game.
2011-11-20_18-36-54_538.jpg

In short, this tablet rocks. It was everything I wanted and needed. I highly recommend it if you are looking for an all out tablet. The 32Gig version runs $599, but I was able to get a healthy discount. But with the ability to add up to 100+ gigs with the full sized SD port, you could easily get away with the $499 16Gig model.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

Reactions: Moegitto

Moegitto

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Here is a write-up I did on the G&A site.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

I've been on the fence about this tablet too, tax time brings out the money spenders in us all lol. Have you used the complete functionality of this yet? Like hooking up a controller to it and using the DLNA service? That game you were playing isn't a special game, it's on every tablet and phone, but it is a Halo rip off. But you can't fault them for that since all games on mobile devices are mostly rip offs now a days. I only played with it a little bit at best buy, and I was kinda worried because this is the only tablet that had some many copies left. What are some of it's strong points and have you noticed any bugs? :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC