coby kyrox #MID7012-4G

Tuckerfan

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I picked up one today, and so far, here's the downsides I've been able to discover:

1. It can be a bit sluggish at times.
2. It doesn't charge via USB
3. Its pretty easy to knock the charging cable out of the tablet
4. The installed appstore is GetJar, which is a pain to find anything in, IMHO.
5. It won't run Flash. This is a bonus, IMHO, but I know many people want Flash.
6. Resistance-based screen, rather than capacitance, so no multi-touch, and I think that this is what's responsible for the sluggish nature of the device, rather than a lack of processing power.
7. Find apps which will work on it in the app stores can be hit or miss (You can get Angry Birds to run on it, but Netflix is unwatchable and some apps just won't install at all via the app stores.)
8. The screen rotation is a bit crappy

On the upside:
1. These instructions do show how to get the Google Android Market on the tablet.
2. You can plug in an external keyboard and mouse if you wish. (It doesn't seem to be sluggish when using a keyboard.
3. You can also load the Amazon App Store if you want.
4. The display resolution is at least as good as my HTC Aria's if not better.
5. Its fairly light in the hands.
6. It comes with two USB cables, 1 wall wart adapter, 1 pair of headphones, a stylus, and an elastic sleeve cover.
7. You can play Angry Birds

If someone can figure out how to root the thing and put out a slimmed down ROM for the puppy, it'll be a decent tablet.

Tuckerfan

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
An update. I slightly fubar'd mine today. I installed a couple of apps via the method linked to above for putting the Android Market on the tablet. It ran fine, until the lock screen came on, then it crashed, rebooted, took forever to complete the reboot process, got to the lock screen, sat there for a few minutes, crashed, and the whole process repeated if I hit the reset button. Using the power button was pointless.

I checked Coby's website for information and found it to be basically useless. I hooked the tablet back up to the USB port on my computer and pushed the reset button. This time, it booted up fine (though it did take a while longer than usual) and I was able to delete the apps I installed and that seems to have fixed the problem.

So, that tells me that the 'reset' button does not reload the ROM onto the device, but is simply a glorified on/off switch. Given how borked the tab was when I had those apps installed, the fact that hooking up a USB cable to the tab allowed it to run well enough for me to fix the thing, indicates that its probably necessary to have a cable hooked up to root the tab, rather than simply loading something on to a MicroSD card or something. (Of course, I could be totally wrong about this.)

Leilani2

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I am new to the tablet world. I purchsed 3 of the Coby 7012 tablets to stop the kids from running my phone down playing games (angry bird, etc). Only 2 of them will connect to the wifi. Now I can't get angry birds seasons to work on the two that did connect. I found angry birds in GteJar and downloaded it, but it will not work. It sounds like the tablet can't keep up with the needs of the game. Help!! I would really like to get these things running before wrapping them up for christmas. (I only have 5 days to return them, if I can't get them working)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084