7" Google Android Tablet PC Question

jimmyt#AC

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi Gang,

I am new to these tablets and see a ton of them on ebay and I was wondering since I am a Moderator to a fairly busy site and need emails and facebook checked often if these were any good. I have a wireless signal just about everywhere I go.

Is there a place I can find out what is good and what is not. I have been building and repairing computers since before the 6502 and this is one area I have been out of.

Thanks,
Jimmy

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
If you're talking about the white android tablets from China or the ipad knock-off ones, then neither of them are true Android tablets. Yes they both run android (1.6) but neither have access to the market or any newer android O/S. If you're ok with 1.6 and manually downloading apps then you're probably ok to get one since they're dirt cheap. I say wait for the more "official" tablets to come out and these knock-offs to mature and then buy one. Personally I'm still waiting for one with IR so I can have a wicked universal remote/coffee table tablet.

jimmyt#AC

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Not the quickest but use an apad with rockchip 2808A and they are super. nothing in market is as good for price and i love mine. and yes new ones will connect to market. i got one of each and they are getting really good. check slatedroid.com for firmware upgrades etc.

sometimes people with limited funds, it may be wise to waitfor a little more data. but i started in computers before 6502 cpu and others waited years because something new was always on the horizon. myself i jump in first and learn so i grow. i am not rich but the price of these unts is a night out with my wife... she is on a diet now ;-D

Meggan

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy Tab looks great, is very light and measures 7'' diagonally. It should be out soon, but it's expected to be somewhat pricey.

Same goes for the Notion Ink Adam tablet. It's slightly bigger, but has a Pixel Qi screen which makes it excellent for outdoor use and low power consumption. An excellent offer, especially considering the asking price.

The Archos Gen 8 tablets look swell as well, but unlike the other two, it doesn't offer 3G connectivity and doesn't have access to the Android Market. It's also the cheapest of the bunch, and has a good (whether it's good-to-great or good-to-decent remains to be seen) price to efficiency balance.

If this is very important for you I'd wait for the official launch and large scale customer feedback, or just make sure that you can get your money back. Better safe than sorry.

Here's a good tablet review website, quite fitting for your lifestyle I believe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams