Augen Gentouch Tablet user reports

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Two of my friends (real-life friends that I have known for years in person, not mysterious strangers on the internet) rushed out to buy the Augen Gentouch tablet when it came into stock at a Kmart nearby. I'm not buying one, I actually have an iPad (don't beat me!). This is a summary of their experiences with it over the past two days:

Uses 9V, so many cell phone chargers won't charge the battery (some non-standard ones will). The charging port is not any variety of USB, but a hollow pin with a hole in it like I associate with Walkmans from the 1980s....

Google mail syncs right up. Works fine as a web browser through wifi (see below about finger flicks).

Android buttons are on rear of device. Can't see buttons while viewing screen. Use a labelmaker to put something on the front as a guide.

SD card slot tricky to use, tweezers are a big help. PC cannot access SD card through the USB connector, even with patch installed that is supposed to solve this.

One friend can access android market. Other cannot. Official website agrees that flakey Market access is a real bug. patch is supposedly coming.

Both have installed Kindle app, the guy who can't get to the Market sideloaded the Kindle app. Both agree it works well as an ereader.

Device comes preloaded with "Ibooks" ereader that works well for some, but not all non-DRM ebook files. Won't even recognize Amazon ebook files of course.

Finger flicks are problematic on screen, otherwise screen responsiveness okay.

quality of screen image is decent. Works as a picture viewer. These guys scorn video on small devices, so I have no info on that, but it presumably would work fine.

In cool environment, about three hours of battery life, but sensitive to heat--battery drained while stored in hot car.

Manual poorly-written and almost useless (I'm sure you all are shocked and surprised to hear that).

Comes with a fairly nice case that claims to be leather (and smells like real leather).

Google maps is installed, but no GPS.

The android OS appears to be ported over from a phone with no mods, and even makes phone references, but of course no phone function inherent in the device.

In general, not perfect but good value for money for those who are willing to fiddle a bit. Will be MUCH better when patch allows reliable access to Android Market. My personal advice is to hold off buying till you receive reliable reports that the Market problem is fixed.

mindwave

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
i have a rain check for 1 so i can find out nnext week (maybe) but maybe you can find out now.

Will the google maps function work as a GPS if your on a WIFI network?

just curious

Tim Marcum

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
I bought one, added my G-mail account, and now I want to return it. Unfortunately, the Settings-->Privacy-->Factory data reset doesn't seem to function correctly. When I turn on my device, the G-mail is still there. How can I get rid of my G-mail information?

bryanjfaber

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I bought one, added my G-mail account, and now I want to return it. Unfortunately, the Settings-->Privacy-->Factory data reset doesn't seem to function correctly. When I turn on my device, the G-mail is still there. How can I get rid of my G-mail information?

How to wipe, factory reset the kPAD..LOL!

Turn off device,turn on (or poke the reset hole with) while holding HOME, wait for the weird beaked cat thing to load then you'll get TRIANGLE w/ANDROID now let go of HOME and then click HOME a list will come up....

*side note extra apps will be gone after wipe.

DrUnKeN_TiGeR

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
yea i got one had it an hour and returned it... it was udder junk felt cheaply made screen stuttered to much slow reaction time couldn't handle it yea it wasn't very expensive but if im going to pay for something i want it to work right it was a real disappointment

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Will the google maps function work as a GPS if your on a WIFI network?

One of my friends told me that it will find your location if you start up the maps application. I didn't see it myself. The other friend has several of the plugs that now do not work, thanks to a bad soldering job. He is trying to get a replacement, or failing that a return.

If you haven't seen the news articles on the front pages about Augen not getting a license from Google to use their proprietary apps, look for the article!

dougsyo

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I picked up mine last night (raincheck). I'm ambivalent right now, and may return it.

I like the size and weight. If I was to use this primarily as an ebook reader (Kindle, Aldiko and Nook) it would work fine, although from what I read about the battery life above, it doesn't sound promising. The resistive screen responds poorly, even compared to Windows Mobile phones, and in that respect is a far cry from my Evo.

It's definitely cheap, and I'm not convinced the case is leather (Augen's website notwithstanding). I was disappointed about the wall wart not being USB (not to mention the holes for charger and non-3.5mm headphone are almost the same size).

With the patch I was able to get to the MicroSD card from my PC. Be VERY careful to put the MicroSD chip in correctly! You CAN drop it into the case - the manual (useless, full of typos, etc) at least alluded to this possibility, and I almost did it.

I had backed up the apps on my Evo with Astro file manager, and copied most of them (leaving out camera, GPS, etc apps) to an SD card, and of the ones I've installed so far, I've had no trouble.

Doug

dougsyo

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
This tablet won't do portrait mode?

It wouldn't auto-rotate the home screen, and I didn't see an option on the settings to force it to do so.

If this is the case, it's going back.

Doug

Last edited:

dougsyo

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Took it back after two days. Although I'm excited about the potential of Android tablets, until we see some numbers and some big successes (hopefully with screen resolution > 800*480), an Android tablet will be a "big phone" as far as apps go, and not a target for apps designed with the larger screen in mind from the start.

I am grudgingly going to wait and see what the next-gen ipad and/or the rumored 7" ipad are like, as well as what Samsung, BestBuy and others come up with for Android. I bet HTC could make one that rocks - but I'm not confident they're going to.

Doug

mindwave

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Ive had this one a week, and other than the 7" screen i wish id bought 2.

I dont have a LOT of time to work with it, because its a surprise for my wife and i want it comepltely setup and running before i give it to her.

meaning her ebooks, stuff for work etc.

From everything I have seen the community is supporting this extremely well as is the distributor (augen is NOT a manufacturer)

Android is a VERY young OS (anyone remember windows 2.0 ?), and personally I installed the SDK long before I bought the MID so I could learn

but I am very convinced that MANY of the shrtcomings of this device are ME. not the device

but thats just me.

I showed my wife one in the store a few days ago and she was afraid it would be too big for her purse, I tried to explain the reasning, but hey we all have our own priorities, and my brother was just confined to a wheelchair last year so he would LOVE one.

anyway thats MY 2cts

j

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995