Hisense Sero 7 Pro - Unboxing pictures (no video)

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Files larger than 4GB?

I have a 64GB microSD card in the Sero, formatted as fat-32 and it work fine except...no files larger than 4GB. Has a work around for this ever been found that actually works well? Just seems an odd limitation for an OS as up to date as Android 4.2
It's a limitation of FAT32 as has already been stated, the Sero kernal doesn't support NTFS. You can however use a OTG cable along with the Nexus Media Importer App use NTFS formatted thumb drives, SD cards, etc. then you will no longer have the 4GB per file limitation.

gberpa

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like your OTG cable is defective, for example using a USB 32GB Sandisk and a OTG cable I can access it just fine without any apps.
I have 2 OTG cables. Neither work with any of the apps I've tried but I haven't d/ld Nexus Media Importer yet.

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I have 2 OTG cables. Neither work with any of the apps I've tried but I haven't d/ld Nexus Media Importer yet.
Are you sure they are reall OTG cables? are both of them from the same source? there are many that claim to be OTG but simply are just a regular USB cable. I justed un-installed the Nexus Media Importer, re-booted and I am able to use my USB Sandisk 32GB with no problems. I was using it this way until I wanted to use my larger WD 2TB portable drive and that was the real reason I bought the Nexus Media Importer App, so I could access that large drive, otherwise all I used was just the OTG cable.
Now back to re-install Nexus Media Importer for my larger drives.....

gberpa

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure they are reall OTG cables? are both of them from the same source? there are many that claim to be OTG but simply are just a regular USB cable. I justed un-installed the Nexus Media Importer, re-booted and I am able to use my USB Sandisk 32GB with no problems. I was using it this way until I wanted to use my larger WD 2TB portable drive and that was the real reason I bought the Nexus Media Importer App, so I could access that large drive, otherwise all I used was just the OTG cable.
Now back to re-install Nexus Media Importer for my larger drives.....
Its possible they are not OTG cables. I got them direct shipped from China ( I think 2 sources and they look different) via Amazon. After the 2nd one arrived and I saw a couple of problems mentioned on a Phandroid forum and someone said there wasn't native support, I thought it was the s7.
Where did you get yours?/Recommended source(s)?

Last edited:

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Its possible they are not OTG cables. I got them direct shipped from China ( I think 2 sources and they look different) via Amazon. After the 2nd one arrived and I saw a couple of problems mentioned on a Phandroid forum and someone said there wasn't native support, I thought it was the s7.
Where did you get yours?/Recommended source(s)?
I got mine from a company out of California, had them in 3 days;
3 Pack USB A Female to Micro B Male Converter OTG Cable for Google Nexus 7 10 | eBay

gberpa

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I got mine from a company out of California, had them in 3 days;
3 Pack USB A Female to Micro B Male Converter OTG Cable for Google Nexus 7 10 | eBay

Thanks. It looks like the problem might be with my S7, maybe the micro USB port. I took the 2 USB female/micro male USB cables along with a USB stick with music to my local Staples and plugged them both into a Samsung 7" tablet. They both worked! Almost since I purchased the unit, there's been a 'flaky' connection that periodically loses contact while charging with either the original or a Nook Simple Touch cable with a micro USB plug. I have to carefully drape the cable downward to make good conntact. I just tried pushing the internal contact point on the S7 slightly down with a small screwdriver. The power contact improved but it still won't read the memory stick. I've put this off but it looks like I might need repair service from Hisense. :-(

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. It looks like the problem might be with my S7, maybe the micro USB port. I took the 2 USB female/micro male USB cables along with a USB stick with music to my local Staples and plugged them both into a Samsung 7" tablet. They both worked! Almost since I purchased the unit, there's been a 'flaky' connection that periodically loses contact while charging with either the original or a Nook Simple Touch cable with a micro USB plug. I have to carefully drape the cable downward to make good conntact. I just tried pushing the internal contact point on the S7 slightly down with a small screwdriver. The power contact improved but it still won't read the memory stick. I've put this off but it looks like I might need repair service from Hisense. :-(

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
Sounds like you may want to have them swap it out for you, that's not normal.....Good luck

gberpa

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you may want to have them swap it out for you, that's not normal.....Good luck
I again adjusted the internal micro USB port contact with a screwdriver and it is now usually ok. It still won't' read USB flash drives via an OTG cable on its own but I downloaded 'Nexus Media Importer' and that seems to do the trick. It won't read my Seagate Goflex 500Gb exFAT HD (my Toshiba AT105 will) but I believe that's a Linux issue on some devices. It will work with my wireless USB dongle for a Logitech k400 keyboard. So, as I have the Walmart 3 year extended warranty, I think I'll hold off returning it for now and see how it goes.

Mojoski

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
It still won't' read USB flash drives via an OTG cable on its own but I downloaded 'Nexus Media Importer' and that seems to do the trick.

FYI: That has nothing to do with a faulty USB port. That is a software problem we all suffer from because Hisense didn't put full OTG support in their kernel and also hasn't released the kernel source so we can fix it ourselves. Most annoying!

Please everyone continue to bother them about this.. We need that source!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Take57

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
FYI: That has nothing to do with a faulty USB port. That is a software problem we all suffer from because Hisense didn't put full OTG support in their kernel and also hasn't released the kernel source so we can fix it ourselves. Most annoying!

Please everyone continue to bother them about this.. We need that source!

As I understand it, part of the OTG support would involve HiSense having to pay a license fee to Microsoft. If that's the case, considering how little we paid for these little gems I can't be too upset with them. Particularly since not everyone uses the feature.

YMMV

Mojoski

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
As I understand it, part of the OTG support would involve HiSense having to pay a license fee to Microsoft. If that's the case, considering how little we paid for these little gems I can't be too upset with them. Particularly since not everyone uses the feature.

YMMV

One more reason they need to release the kernel source so we can hack the support on ourselves, right?

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I again adjusted the internal micro USB port contact with a screwdriver and it is now usually ok. It still won't' read USB flash drives via an OTG cable on its own but I downloaded 'Nexus Media Importer' and that seems to do the trick. It won't read my Seagate Goflex 500Gb exFAT HD (my Toshiba AT105 will) but I believe that's a Linux issue on some devices. It will work with my wireless USB dongle for a Logitech k400 keyboard. So, as I have the Walmart 3 year extended warranty, I think I'll hold off returning it for now and see how it goes.
How did you get a 3 Year warranty? I only got a 2 year one, and Yes a FAT32 32GB usb thumb drive works perfectly with an OTG cable and nothing else.

Jim_S

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure they are reall OTG cables? are both of them from the same source? there are many that claim to be OTG but simply are just a regular USB cable.

What's the difference between an OTG cable and a USB cable? I would've thought that all USB functionality would depend on the software on the host...

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
What's the difference between an OTG cable and a USB cable? I would've thought that all USB functionality would depend on the software on the host...

The OTG cable has a micro-A plug on one side, and a micro-B plug on the other (it cannot have two plugs of the same type). OTG adds a fifth pin to the standard USB connector, called the ID-pin; the micro-A plug has the ID pin grounded, while the ID in the micro-B plug is floating. The device that has a micro-A plugged in becomes an OTG A-device, and the one that has micro-B plugged becomes a B-device. The type of the plug inserted is detected by the state of the pin ID, three additional ID pin states are at the nominal resistance values of 124 kΩ, 68 kΩ, and 36.5 kΩ, with respect to the ground pin.

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

YMMV

What does Microsoft have to do with Android using OTG?? it's part of the USB specification, the device's Hardware needs to support it and so does the type of USB (OTG) cable used in order for it to work.USB Host | Android Developers no microsoft here.

Jim_S

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
The OTG cable has a micro-A plug on one side, and a micro-B plug on the other (it cannot have two plugs of the same type). OTG adds a fifth pin to the standard USB connector, called the ID-pin; the micro-A plug has the ID pin grounded, while the ID in the micro-B plug is floating. The device that has a micro-A plugged in becomes an OTG A-device, and the one that has micro-B plugged becomes a B-device. The type of the plug inserted is detected by the state of the pin ID, three additional ID pin states are at the nominal resistance values of 124 kΩ, 68 kΩ, and 36.5 kΩ, with respect to the ground pin.

I'm still clueless. Why on earth should there be any need to identify any device as an "OTG" device, versus just adapting the plug to fit the tablet? It sounds like a layer of complexity that serves no purpose whatsoever. What am I missing?

Take57

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
What does Microsoft have to do with Android using OTG?? it's part of the USB specification, the device's Hardware needs to support it and so does the type of USB (OTG) cable used in order for it to work.USB Host | Android Developers no microsoft here.
I believe it has to do with how some of the underlying code OTG handles/transfers files, hence the reason for the need for Nexus Media Importer being a separate app. I could be wrong I'll be the first to admit I'm not an IP expert, perhaps you are based on your snappy post.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca