Hisense Sero 7 Pro - Unboxing pictures (no video)

gberpa

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I saw your video about this on youtube, which I linked to above. This is something that I'm concerned about, and would love to hear some more info on. has anybody else had this issue? Can anybody confirm if this happens on their tablet with sketchbook or similar apps?

I don't use graphics much but once in a while use Handrite NotePad Pro. Using a rocketfish stylus (not great for drawing as it is big and blunt), it gives continuous lines/curves with medium pressure. When some of the ones of this brand are used for many months, skipping can occur but also normal use is impaired as well.

Update-Another similar stylus, 'The Friendly Swede', is well over one year old and still works with lite taps and draws skip-free. So, I guess it depends on stylii and maybe s/w.

Last edited:

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi to all! I'm new here and I'm hoping someone can can answer a few questions and concerns for me about the Sero 7 Pro. I apologize in advance if it's a bit too long but this seems like the place to ask about this.

I bought one of these the other day at Walmart for $129.99 for my girlfriend's Christmas gift. She has a cheaper little 4" tablet that she uses all the time so this year I thought I would upgrade her to this one - she uses it mostly for gaming, like Candy Crush. But it's very small and limited in what it can do. Cost is a big factor for me as money is tight this Christmas. I love the many features of this tablet and of course the tablet that I'm comparing it to directly is the Kindle Fire HD. I think this will be the tablet I give her but I do have a couple concerns I was hoping somebody could shed some light on:

- I have read the following comment about the Sero 7 Pro and it worries me a bit:

"Basically, any time the sero would start to warm up a bit, performance would get horrible. I saw this on games like Nova 3 and Horn, graphically intensive games. They would get so choppy as to be unplayable. With the tegra over clock app, I found that the kernel has a three step "thermal guard" set up, and the first step was set at 45C... And cut the CPU speed in half! The app recommended that the speed not be throttled until about 70C. I changed to this and now have no performance issues. Only downside... The setting has to be redone after reboot."

This worries me a bit - it sounds like the kernel has it set to throttle the graphics performance when it gets over 45C - and I've read several comments that the tablet can definitely get warm with use. So is this throttling something that is noticeable to people? This poster I quoted above sure thought so. My girlfriend mostly plays puzzle games but with a nicer tablet like this I think we'll be trying out some more graphically-advanced games, but the throttling sounds like it could be an issue. Does the Kindle Fire HD do that also? The Youtube reviews I've seen for this tablet seem to say that gaming on this tablet is as good or better than the Kindle Fire HD, but if the graphics get throttled at 45C and the tablet reaches this temp often during charging or heavy gameplay, then this may be an issue. I won't be rooting the tablet so I won't be able to install that Tegra overclock app that he mentioned. Any thoughts? Is throttling in-game that much of an issue with this tablet when it's warm?

- Also, I read earlier in this thread somewhere that the creaky back plate may have been improved in build quality in later builds of this tablet - the back was reinforced better to avoid the flexing or something. The date on the sticker on the tablet box says May 2013. When did this Pro tablet first hit stores? May seems like it was early in it's run. Would this tablet have the fixed back plate or am I better off seeing if I can find a newer build with a more recent date?

- This video below shows a bug where the guy's stylus can't draw smoothly on the screen - it skips and stutters. He says using a finger is fine but the stylus always leaves gaps as he demonstrates. The Kindle Fire HD seems to have no issue like that, only the Sero 7 Pro. Is that an isolated case or maybe his stylus is weird (he tried 2 different stylus pens he said)? Is this an issue with the Sero 7 pro screen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNiH0q1fz-M

- Another interesting thing I learned on a Youtube clip - the Kindle Fire HD has a 10-point capacitive IPS screen - the Sero 7 Pro has a 5-point capacitive IPS screen. So the Kindle Fire HD can register up to 10 finger touches at once, unlike this tablet, which only registers 5 fingers maximum at once. Does that even matter? It seems to me that you likely wouldn't need more than 5 fingers at a time on the screen anyways, unless some games might benefit.

- Also, is it true that the Sero7 Pro can't read NTFS formatted SD cards, thus restricting video files to less than 4GB for FAT32?

- One other note - I've read conflicting information in this thread regarding Walmart's warranty against cracked screens, spills, etc. - some said it was $15, some said $28. The guy that sold the tablet to me at Walmart said it costs $28.00 - I asked him about the $15 price and he said that does not apply to tablets - and he gave me a printed card with their warranty prices and sure enough it says right on the glossy printed card that the in-store price of the 2-year warranty for tablets $100-$150 is $28. So I'm thinking those that paid $15 may not be properly covered according to the card he gave me to keep.

Anyways any thoughts would be much appreciated. The Kindle Fire HD is going on sale on Black Friday at Staples for $89 for the 16GB - that price makes it a very tempting buy instead of this tablet - more internal space for games and apps, but no room for music or videos, which she likely wouldn't care about so much anyways. I wish this tablet had 16GB instead of 8. Of course this tablet has a better camera too. Also the Kindle Fire HD comes with annoying ads and you have to pay like $20 or more to remove the ads, so with that factored in, it's not much cheaper than this on Black Friday. I'm not sure what to do but I'd like to stick with the Sero 7 pro. But some of these points have me worried.

Yes it used to be $15 says so right on the glossy brochure received in-store $100-$150 is $15, I have it right in-front of me, BUT yes that has changed now too, it jumped-up to $28 So YES those of us up until a month ago did pay $15 and we ARE properly covered. Also the Sero 7 Pro just jumped back up to $149 also. I have no heat issues with my unit what-so-ever. Lastly yes the Sero 7 Pro is restricted to FAT32, at-least that statement is correct.

stillborn86

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I saw your video about this on youtube, which I linked to above. This is something that I'm concerned about, and would love to hear some more info on. has anybody else had this issue? Can anybody confirm if this happens on their tablet with sketchbook or similar apps?

I have to say: That's some pretty good sleuthing! Yes, it kept giving me a hard time. It would do it consistently with any stylus I used, and it would do it every once in a while with my finger. I tried it with the screen protector on and off, and I have used the styli on both the Sero7 Pro and Nexus7. I never had a problem with the Nexus7, but the Sero7 would skip all of the time.

In the comments of my video, I have had some people describe how they have had the same issue, but it doesn't seem to be an overly common thing. For me, it got so bad that I decided to return it before the widow expired. Maybe I'll try it again now that KitKat hardbricked my Nexus7... Or maybe I'll go for a Samsung tablet with the S-Pen.

Anything that doesn't randomly click on links as I would scroll through a page because the screen "skipped" and translated my swipe into a touch...

jiminy87

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't use graphics much but once in a while use Handrite NotePad Pro. Using a rocketfish stylus (not great for drawing as it is big and blunt), it gives continuous lines/curves with medium pressure. When some of the ones of this brand are used for many months, skipping can occur but also normal use is impaired as well.

Update-Another similar stylus, 'The Friendly Swede', is well over one year old and still works with lite taps and draws skip-free. So, I guess it depends on stylii and maybe s/w.

Interesting. So maybe it comes down to the actual type of stylus used like you said?

I have to say: That's some pretty good sleuthing! Yes, it kept giving me a hard time. It would do it consistently with any stylus I used, and it would do it every once in a while with my finger. I tried it with the screen protector on and off, and I have used the styli on both the Sero7 Pro and Nexus7. I never had a problem with the Nexus7, but the Sero7 would skip all of the time.

In the comments of my video, I have had some people describe how they have had the same issue, but it doesn't seem to be an overly common thing. For me, it got so bad that I decided to return it before the widow expired. Maybe I'll try it again now that KitKat hardbricked my Nexus7... Or maybe I'll go for a Samsung tablet with the S-Pen.

Anything that doesn't randomly click on links as I would scroll through a page because the screen "skipped" and translated my swipe into a touch...

I wonder if maybe you just had a defective unit or one where the screen was a bit too temperamental? You only tried the one Sero 7 Pro unit, right? You didn't try a second unit did you?

Yes it used to be $15 says so right on the glossy brochure received in-store $100-$150 is $15, I have it right in-front of me, BUT yes that has changed now too, it jumped-up to $28 So YES those of us up until a month ago did pay $15 and we ARE properly covered. Also the Sero 7 Pro just jumped back up to $149 also. I have no heat issues with my unit what-so-ever. Lastly yes the Sero 7 Pro is restricted to FAT32, at-least that statement is correct.

That's funny - so they just raised the prices for the plan and the unit itself huh? I must have just gotten it in time - this past Friday it was still $129.99. Glad I didn't wait any longer to pick it up.

So guys, what about the thermal throttling at 45C? Another forum mentioned that the kernel has the temp set to throttle at 65C, not 45C - I wonder if things changed? Can anybody confirm who has the Tegra overclock app?

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Interesting.

That's funny - so they just raised the prices for the plan and the unit itself huh? I must have just gotten it in time - this past Friday it was still $129.99. Glad I didn't wait any longer to pick it up.
Yea the plan cost went up about a month ago, ther Sero 7 Pro itself just jumped back up to the original price of $149 (you can see the price on walmart's site) I wonder if they did that so they can have a black friday "sale" without it costing them a dime??? :)

jiminy87

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Yea the plan cost went up about a month ago, ther Sero 7 Pro itself just jumped back up to the original price of $149 (you can see the price on walmart's site) I wonder if they did that so they can have a black friday "sale" without it costing them a dime??? :)

Oh, I don't think you can go by the price they list on the site. I noticed last week the price on their site said $150. I checked their site on Wednesday and the site said $150, and then I called a local store and asked them to check their stock and they said they had them and they were $129. When I went in on Friday to purchase one, I checked the website first and it still said $150, but the actual price in-store was $129. So the website doesn't seem to be reflecting the current price of $129.

slicingtaco

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
No problems here. But this was with a finger input not a stylus input.
Screenshot_2013-11-29-11-32-27_zps612ff387.png

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

jiminy87

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
No problems here. But this was with a finger input not a stylus input.
http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z396/eli179/Screenshot_2013-11-29-11-32-27_zps612ff387.png

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

This seems the same as what was demonstrated in the Youtube video. With a finger there seems to be no issue, but with a stylus I guess it can break up depending on the material maybe. I'm wondering if that's the same with other tablets - thought the video shows the same pens working fine with the Kindle but not the Sero 7 Pro, so it must be something with the Sero 7 screens.

On another note - has anybody noticed any situation where the 5-point capacitive touch screen isn't adequate for games or applications? The Kindle has a 10-point capacitive IPS screen where the Sero 7 Pro is only a 5-point.

Macktion

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm wondering if that's the same with other tablets.

There are quite a few budget tablets that it happens with. And many of them seem st spaz out with finger touches if its plugged in at the time.
I suspect that it has something to do with improper component shielding, but that's just me.

gberpa

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
There are quite a few budget tablets that it happens with. And many of them seem st spaz out with finger touches if its plugged in at the time.
I suspect that it has something to do with improper component shielding, but that's just me.
I don't have the problem and gave my experiences with certain apps and stylii. My feeling is it is either due to these factors or an issue with specific units. IMO, not that many people seem to have the problem so I wouldn't say its due to the category you noted..

Last edited:

d0m0

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I am unable to open an epub file on my Sero 7 Pro emailed to me. Any suggestions.

Posted via Android Central App

Download a book reader app like cool reader from play store.

Sent from my M470BSA (Sero 7 Pro) using Tapatalk Pro.

Spectre130

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
After about 7 months with three of these tablets, I have to say they are great. Mine do have a charging problem. You have to sit a heavy weight on the plug to get them to charge. Sometimes when plugging in the tablet they will reboot. The charging port is definitely the weak link on these things. Other than that, these will are just as good as my nexus 7(Gen 1).

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
After about 7 months with three of these tablets, I have to say they are great. Mine do have a charging problem. You have to sit a heavy weight on the plug to get them to charge. Sometimes when plugging in the tablet they will reboot. The charging port is definitely the weak link on these things. Other than that, these will are just as good as my nexus 7(Gen 1).

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk
I don't know why you're having issues with your connector unless you have repeatly tried to force it in backwards, because I have a couple of these since day one, and I have no such issues. All still working flawlessly.

Ian Berry

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

d0m0

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes it's legit. The UK version by Hisense is 32 gb.

The USA, Canada and Australia versions are 8 gb.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek