Hands on with the Sharp Galapagos tablets

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Well ok not much of a hands on, as I wasn't thinking "review" or "androidcentral" when I went to the Labi shop in Shinjuku.

Two sizes, 10" and 5". Widescreen format. Frankly the 10" felt too long for a tablet, due to its widescreen format.

5" seemed sweet, good length and height ratio.

No Android market that I could see
There was a store, but there was no net connection so I can't say if it was solely for books or for apps as well.

When I turned the tablets around, the ui didn't rotate, so they seem stuck on portrait mode. There may ne settings for that, but my Japanese is horrible.

Launcher looks like ios's ibooks. When you swipe left or right, some gde-like cube effect happens. Can't swipe too fast cuz the inertia will switch far to the 2nd or 3rd next screen. Didn't like that.

They got 2 buttons at the bottom: home and back, as well as a trackball.

All I could catch while playing for a couple of minutes. Pics attached hopefully.

Patrixl

5"
7216af7b-f6d4-00d5.jpg

10"
7216af7b-f717-131a.jpg

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
did ya see what version of android it was on?

Menus and settings weren't the standard layout that we usually see. Heck there wasn't even a menu key on it. So I didn't see an "about android". My poor Japanese language ability didn't help either ;)

On other phones it's usually pretty easy too.. ie the Sharp IS03 has 2.1, the Sharp Galapagos phone has 2.2, as well as the Lynx 3D.

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I checked them out again and again I couldn't find the English language option or the Android version.

Checked the Lynx 3D phone, has Android 2.1 after all :( But at least it's available and not too expensive! Gonna get it tomorrow.