So i got this great tablet that runs on Android (Android eclair) and the user manual says i can install android apps by downloading them on my pc, then moving them to an sd card and installing from there.

i have had no luck in this, have had it 2 weeks and many lost hours trying to figure it out.

bit frustrating to see its not even listed here on this website.

any help would be great.
    12-25-2010 08:19 PM
    So what happens when you click on the APK file to install it?
    12-25-2010 08:22 PM
    havent been able to find anywhere that i can down load the APK files.
    12-25-2010 08:28 PM
    also forgot to say that it does not have the android market installed on it.
    12-25-2010 08:30 PM
    I just researched this table a little bit. I have no idea why they say you can install apps via an SD card, or where the market even is for those apps. Not to mention its running 1.5 which most apps are no longer compatible with. Not to knock it too much, but it doesn't get very stellar reviews in terms or performance or function, which is probably why you're not seeing any talk of it in the forums.
    12-26-2010 01:24 AM
    I got the 7" black qvc one for christmas. it is slow but it an Ereader. It does run android apps.

first if this is ok .... check out slatedroid. I got some good info there .
    2nd you can search google for android apk files... I found 2 sites by doing that. Also you can look up QVC and check out there video you can see where they go to for apk files. just MAKE SURE YOU READ the information about the app, alot are cupcake able or have a cupcake version . I am running 1.6 according the pandigital.

I haven't done it but i think you need an installer app to install through yous sd card. you can try that way first. but downloading through the browser is easier. you just download. then install. then open just like that.

P.S. be very careful with this thing. today i just cracked the glass... dropped maybe 6 inches. glass down onto my tv remote and it was over. there no touch to the side where its cracked.,,,
    12-27-2010 09:59 PM
    It is saying Android Eclair and the Kernel version is 2.6.29 which confirms that.

Trying to install apps via SD card is giving me:

Parse Error: There is a problem parsing the package.

I've only tried a marketplace app so far. As I learn more I'll post more.
    12-29-2010 03:33 AM
    Successful install of the version of Last.fm found at freewarelovers.

I've logged in and it is running.

I am able to run it in the background while reading.

From what I've learned we need to find a version of marketplace that is device specific (there is one for Nook). I haven't found one yet but given one hope I had for this gift was to learn Android development I might see how that looks as a project.
    12-29-2010 03:46 AM
    So i got this great tablet that runs on Android (Android eclair) and the user manual says i can install android apps by downloading them on my pc, then moving them to an sd card and installing from there.

i have had no luck in this, have had it 2 weeks and many lost hours trying to figure it out.

bit frustrating to see its not even listed here on this website.

any help would be great.
    I have the same Pandigital 9"
    I have been using adb to install apps and rooted it. I will soon I suspect dig into ti a bit more and try getting a market hack working. I admit I just purchased the Pan 7" from Kohles and have been really spending time with it to get a good working state for a friend who is non tech type who wants the android experience on a budget. So stay tuned...

Till then poke around a bit you will find instructions for ADB and your OS (I use Linux) I suspect that the SideLoadMachine here will work fine if you get the drivers for windows. Check out Slatedroid.com. Note I just looked it up grab this zip file... (win driver) when windows asks for the driver point at the i386 dir (Xp)... Then proceed to install adb toolset. Make sure you turn on debugging under applications.

Let me know if you need more guidance. I am not the most knowledgeable but I can get around a bit now. I have a decent understanding of Android and have been thru the ringer with the 7 and 9 inch Pandigital units.

Dave.

EDIT
    ---------------------------

Be careful with the Slatedroid site... The work they are doing is for the 7" white Pandigital... The 9 " has not really gotten much press yet. So you might want to stay away from roms unless you are sure about what you are doing..

---------------------------
    01-16-2011 10:45 PM
    I just researched this table a little bit. I have no idea why they say you can install apps via an SD card, or where the market even is for those apps. Not to mention its running 1.5 which most apps are no longer compatible with. Not to knock it too much, but it doesn't get very stellar reviews in terms or performance or function, which is probably why you're not seeing any talk of it in the forums.
    The Black Pandigital is a slower and running 1.5.The White running 2.0 and they have Cyanogenmod 6.x (beta), It is clocked down from 800 to 500 by the original ROM they have since released an update to speed it back up.

On the original rom there is no Astro or other file managment apps on the device. So you can't load apps from the SD card without ADB os flashing a new ROM. I went the ADB route with the 9" and put on a different ROM for the 7" (They have a variety of Roms available and the device is not bas for $60) See Slatedroid for them.

I am not trying to pump this up but it is fun to mess with.
    Dave
    01-16-2011 10:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD