Acer - Iconia Tablet

sbkeep

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Got an email from Best Buy today announcing the launch of this tablet. Does anyone here have experience with it? With the full size usb port, I wonder if I could wired tether to my Evo in a pinch.

Anyway, just looking for some discussion on this tablet.

Thanks!

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Just got one at Best Buy today. I think it's better than the Transformer, if you don't want that keyboard. And a full USB port on the side... amazing! It doesn't feel as plasticky and if I don't miss my guess, it's a tad lighter. Really like the little bit of brushed finish on the top and the bottom for holding.

This one looks like a winner.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I am very pleased with this tablet... haven't tried the USB port for tethering yet, but it takes a thumb drive perfectly. That will work great for trips... just load up a bunch of movies, and plug in when ready to watch.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
The USB port also takes a portable hard drive nicely. The more I play with it, it gets a bit heavy. I was able to tether my CM7 Evolution via the USB, but didn't get a network connection, so not sure how that will work.

The Asus Transformer comes out tomorrow, so I will check it out.

zen.panda

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Bought mine at bb today and posting from it now. Compared to the xoom the two appeared to be about identical to me. Personally I like the bezel as well as the lightness and dimensions of the xoom but th e a500 was just that much cheaper plus it came with more practical buttons - not to mention the fullsized USB port on the side. Screen wise its about the same as the xoom - personally I thought the xoom had a slightly better display in terms of Max brightness as well as contrast and color. Transformer will certainly make all of us envious but the Iconia will still exist in a special niche for those looking a practical and affordable tablet.

Luce

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I got to play around with it a little bit today. It feels very good in one hand. Changing screens was very smooth and fluid.

Buttons all felt solid and easy to use.

Full USB worked very well with a usb drive.

I did not get a chance to mess with it a long time but it seems like a solid competition against Xoom and iPad.

My biggest qualities I am looking for in a tablet is: 1; hardware, 2; build quality, 3; modding community.

If the community gets behind it then I may just be picking one of these up.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Our Best Buy got in 4 this morning and had sold out by this afternoon.

The sales rep said that basically anyone who wanted a Verizon contract should buy a Xoom. If they want WiFi it is $449 for the Iconia or $599 for the Xoom. Once the Iconia came in, they had not sold Xooms. More Iconia's are due in tomorrow.

The Xoom has a lower def screen and does not have a full 1080p recorder. The Iconia microSd card works and the Iconia is a fraction thinner:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/mot...n-chart-xoom-transformer-galaxy-touchpad.html

Last edited:

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking that the Transformer will have a bigger developer community. I need root for this thing! May have to exchange for the Asus for that reason only.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Played with the Iconia at lunchtime today (both I and another guy were hoping to find the Transformer on display.)

I will say, it looks like a good device. To be honest, it makes the Xoom next to it look a little dowdy. One thing I really appreciated (after owning the Xoom for more than a week) is that the rounded edges on the Iconia made it much more comfortable to hold than the Xoom.

The Xoom definitely wins for smallest bezel, which is something I thought was a plus at first, but now I am considering that much less important and actually a bit of a disadvantage when trying to hold one of these things for long periods of time.

The Iconia looks like a good device, doubly so if you desire a full size USB port.

-Suntan

Radamand

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I just bought this one yesterday and I am enjoying it quite a bit. Why does it not have its own section???

excellent question considering other tablets that haven't even been released yet already have their own forums...

absolutely loving my shiny new iconia too!

Mickeylittle

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I picked up one yesterday from Best Buy and so fatso good but I'm trying to get used to the Android world coming from the iPad world. I have picked up some apps from the Market but they are very small like for a phone? Whatsup with that? How do you know when in the Market if you are getting an app for a tablet or not?

I am looking for a better calendar, todo app, notebook, and I guess that's about it for now.

Thanks,

Mickey

Radamand

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I picked up one yesterday from Best Buy and so fatso good but I'm trying to get used to the Android world coming from the iPad world. I have picked up some apps from the Market but they are very small like for a phone? Whatsup with that? How do you know when in the Market if you are getting an app for a tablet or not?

I am looking for a better calendar, todo app, notebook, and I guess that's about it for now.

Thanks,

Mickey

Pure Grid Calendar is a great calendar widget for your homescreen, & I recommend Evernote for a note taking app.
I dont have any suggestions for a todo app tho as I dont use one...

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Mine Arrived >>> Me Delighted

With only a modicum of crapware installed this tablet is awesome.

I've already made and received calls via SIP using CSipSimple.
All my critical apps installed, some that I originally purchased for the Nexus One work as well.

All the Google Apps work perfectly, my Books synced to the exact page I was reading, my Picasa images synced, and or course mail, maps, etc.

The whole thing has been flawless other than the fact it is a finger print magnet of the first order.

I plugged in a USB keyboard and it worked right out of the gate. (Yes it has USB master mode as well as micro USB slave mode).

Jovian

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I picked up my Acer a couple days ago and I am loving it. I was waiting for the Asus, but since that was more drama than I cared for I decided to pick this one up. It was sitting next to the Xoom, and it was my first time seeing both. I didn't realize how cheap the Xoom feels, and was impressed with the Acer. I first heard about the Acer when I read people were buying it, because the Transformer was not available. I really like the full USB on the side and the picture quality is awesome. I had a hard time finding an instant messanger, but after googling a bit I found that Trillian works great with it. Unfortunately there isn't a free version and it cost 5 bucks, but it works great.

I can't wait for Hulu to get up from their asses and make it available for Honeycomb tablets at least!

I think the Iconia A500 deserves it's own forum too!

xo96

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Got mine just this evening at my local BB. Last one in stock until Saturday. Kind of a stupid Q but where do I find the detail manual for it? I guess Acer's website. Play so different than my EVO running Cyanogen. Just sayin.

Now we need a dedicated section with accessories.....need a sleeve/case like yesterday!

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone figured out exactly where the built in mic in the a500 is located?

Oh, and for messaging apps look at imo.
It does lots of different networks.

For sms' you can send via your google voice account via the web browser. Lame, but it works.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc