Straight Talk data/web usage

droid-newbie

May 14, 2012
Visit site
i was thinking of leaving Boost and changing to Straight Talk but i have been reading on another forum that ST has been cutting people off when they reach a certain amount of data usage on the unlimited plan. if the plan is unlimited them why are people getting cut off? also i went and read ST's Terms and Conditions and i am confused on something there as well.

STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED TALK, TEXT AND MOBILE WEB ACCESS PLAN INTENDED USE: Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plans may ONLY be used with a Straight Talk handset for the following purposes: (i) Person to Person Voice Calls (ii) Text and Picture Messaging (iii) Internet browsing through the Straight Talk Mobile Web Service and (iv) Authorized Content Downloads from the Straight Talk Mobile Web Store. The Straight Talk Unlimited Plans MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses may have his/her service terminated without notice or a refund.

so what i get out of this is i can not make unlimited calls or send/recieve unlimted text or even use the internet barely. so why is this plan called unlimited? can someone please explain before i make a mistake. Boost as never limited my internet usage calls or text. the service is just bad and i keep getting ecommernce charges for some reason

Last edited by a moderator:

whofilets

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: straight talk data/web usage

I am even newer than you, I could be naive, but I think you may be misreading some things.
when they say: "(i) continuous mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address;"

I believe they mean that while you can send as many texts as you want, all day, if you sit there and actually compose texts all day,
you can not make automated and/or continuous calls- basically, you can't use this phone plan to spam people.

I am also interested in getting Straight Talk, though! I have heard they start to cut off around 80-100MB. That's cheaper than AT&T's GoPhone data plan, but it ISN'T unlimited.

Thryfti Treasures

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

I've been with staight talk for sometime now. I thought it was petty good. A little expensive but pretty good. Until I bought the LG optimus, I upgraded because I wanted to use the mobile web. If you want staight talk to use beside the phone. You should try to find another company. My web services gets turned off all the time. The reason they give me is to much use. My baby watches shows on you tube. When I bought the phone it came with a icon for youtube. I thought since they placed it there I could use it. So they set it up to make it possible to have any reason to shut it off but they tell you, you can buy a new card to get your web service back. Can someone please tell me who has a truly umlimed plan. For 45 usd you can access the web maybe 10 times if your lucky or you can access youtube twice or sometimethree times, before they turn you off. I should have stayed with boost a couple of years back

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

The concerns you have are exactly why I stayed away from Straight Talk. Part of the reason I went with Solavei was a clearly defined data plan. The first 4GB are unthrottled. They are a T-Mobile MVNO - so they aren't an option if you need to use AT&T towers.

I made the switch from Sprint to Solavei in January and couldn't be happier. Solavei also has an optional referral program which can effectively lower their $49 rate if you're interested in such things.

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site

With att latest go phone plans why would you even bother with ST.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Hiberny

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site

For light data users who don't have LTE phones Net10 and Straight Talk are still a bargain.

Posted via Android Central App

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

They are until you need customer service.

From the desk of Hiss Excellency.

Correct! But if you try them and you find that they don't work for you you can always leave. I guess it really depends on your needs. I'm still on an att postpaid account because if my service no longer works...I like to have someone to complain too!

Bratigan

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site

Straight talk is not an unlimited plan. They are basically not being honest and getting away with it. Unlimited would give you access to the web for whatever you please.
I think T-Mobile is the closest you can get to unlimited usage. Having said that it isn't that bad so long as you use it according to their redefinition of unlimited.
The internet connection drops often and is slow to write the screens even on my N4. It is a good phone service for me so far.

Just don't kid yourself about it being unlimited. That is simple dishonesty.

indiane

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

I think ST is unlimited unless you do at&t byop. Im almost finished with my 1st mo using ST. Im using a galaxy note 2 with att st sim bc theres basically no tmobile coverage here I use mobile data quite a bit..mostly browsing web, forums, and stream fit radio while I workout...id guess 2 to 3 gb/month. I have good speeds (hspa) and havent had any issues after initial setup. I think a lot of the issues are dependent on where u live.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I think ST is unlimited unless you do at&t byop. Im almost finished with my 1st mo using ST. Im using a galaxy note 2 with att st sim bc theres basically no tmobile coverage here I use mobile data quite a bit..mostly browsing web, forums, and stream fit radio while I workout...id guess 2 to 3 gb/month. I have good speeds (hspa) and havent had any issues after initial setup. I think a lot of the issues are dependent on where u live.

The real issue is there is so much that goes into this. The rules for ST are dumb. If you don't wanna chance losing your number jump to another MNVO. Besides there are a ton to pick from. Check out the new GoPhone plans! Plus you get LTE if its in your area now. Yeah it cost more but you know what the rules are. So if you EVEN THINK ST will be a head ache then don't bother is my advice. Unless you can use Tmo. But then again Tmo has a $30 prepaid smartphone plan.

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

Straight talk will throttle daily if needed. You get what u pay for. The $45 plan is suffice for some
But the game is played out when u realize MNVOS exist for a reason.

stljedi

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

I had Straight Talk with the TMobile network sim with my unlocked GS2. After several months of using iHeart Radio streaming and Waze GPS with 2 to 3 gb of data usage they totally cut my data off for using to much and violating the tos according to the recorded message. The customer service rep stated that the data would be restored next month but it did not happen nor could customer tech support get it to work so they had to mail out a new sim card.

stljedi

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

Aiowireless looks like the best deal for prepaid unlimited (then throttled) data. I ended up switching to T-Mobile postpaid (with employer 15%) discount with the no-contract since I brought my own phone w/ unlimited data ($10 extra for unthrottled data)

SmokinOak

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

My first month didn't get throttled until around 3gb, however the last 2 months it was done at 2.5.gb like clockwork , reducing the bandwidth from apx 1.1.gb/s down to 256kb/s. In my opinion, unless you plan on using Strait Talk for phone service only and/or some very limited data use, Id keep shopping. So far the only "Unlimited" I've had with ST is my phones unlimited attempts to connect to the internet.

Sent from the worst phone I have ever owned by far... the
Samsung : SCH-S738C aka
the Galaxy Centura

atkichr

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

They all throttle now. Tmo does, att does too. I have had St att byop for a year now and since they announced the 2.5gb soft cap I've been getting throttled if I go over that. I think tmo throttles at 4gb on st. The only ones that don't anymore are sprint and tmo but you have to get an actual contact. Sprint is doing away with the unlimited that's why they are pushing the unlimited for life. Still for 2.5gb of lte unlimited texting and calling its a great deal at 45 bucks.
S4 on straight talk byop

miami1234

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site

OMG!!! I need somebody to help me! Nobody at the straight talk company can! I have a samsung SCH-S738C phone. It quit making and recieving calls and texts! Now the tricky parts......not all people. I can call and recieve a few a day. I have full bars and they are blue! When I dial or text they turn White! They do not go away....only change colors. Thd internet works fine! But they stay Blue! I have factory reset and it did not help.......Anybody know what to do???? I am going freaking crazy!!!! Please help!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze