Can we get straight answer, finally, on Straight Talk????

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I keep hearing stories of data caps and being tossed off the service. I have read the terms of service and there is no mention of a hard number of data you cannot go over. There is mention about not being allowed to tether, or use peer to peer downloading. Also a mention of no streaming media.

Can some of you go thru the terms of service at straighttalk.com and see what you make of it?

www.straighttalk.com

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

JtothaR

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I keep hearing stories of data caps and being tossed off the service. I have read the terms of service and there is no mention of a hard number of data you cannot go over. There is mention about not being allowed to tether, or use peer to peer downloading. Also a mention of no streaming media.

Can some of you go thru the terms of service at straighttalk.com and see what you make of it?

Welcome To Straight Talk

There is a 2GB soft cap which you will get an automated warning call if you exceed it. They threaten to kick you off but I continued to use the data after the 2GB and was not kicked off, I just made sure not to go wild using it, Lol.

Now I've been having an issue where the phone sometimes fails to load web pages, resolution pending on that one...

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
There is a 2GB soft cap which you will get an automated warning call if you exceed it. They threaten to kick you off but I continued to use the data after the 2GB and was not kicked off, I just made sure not to go wild using it, Lol.

Now I've been having an issue where the phone sometimes fails to load web pages, resolution pending on that one...

I have a co worker who has straight talk amd in one month streamed 100 hours of pandora and I figure that's got to be a lot of data and he never received a warning message. I have also mever had a problem and when I was on verizon I would use between 3-4gb per month.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
This only seems to be an issue with BYOD plans for the $45/month GSM phones. AKA ATT and Tmo.

To be safe...Do not go over 100 megs a day and over 2gigs of data a month. In it of it self is hard to do for most users...I'd only worry about it if your a heavy data user.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have read every line of their TOS and find zero reference to any data cap. Prohibitted usage yes, but no set data limit. I just don't see how they can do anything as long as you don't do those prohibitted things.

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I have read every line of their TOS and find zero reference to any data cap. Prohibitted usage yes, but no set data limit. I just don't see how they can do anything as long as you don't do those prohibitted things.

Yes, but there's also lots of reports all over the Internet of ST calling customers with warnings and even completely shutting off data services in some cases, when customers exceed whatever arbitrary amount of data they consider abusive usage. Common folklore is to limit data usage to 100MB per day or 2GB per month, but some people get away with more than that.

I looked into getting ST for my GNex, but I decided to go with the $60/mo. T-Mo prepaid plan instead after all the horror stories. It's $15 more, but at least T-Mo lets you suck down as much data as you want up to 2GB and then just throttles down to EDGE - all without harassing you. I can live with that.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but there's also lots of reports all over the Internet of ST calling customers with warnings and even completely shutting off data services in some cases, when customers exceed whatever arbitrary amount of data they consider abusive usage. Common folklore is to limit data usage to 100MB per day or 2GB per month, but some people get away with more than that.

I looked into getting ST for my GNex, but I decided to go with the $60/mo. T-Mo prepaid plan instead after all the horror stories. It's $15 more, but at least T-Mo lets you suck down as much data as you want up to 2GB and then just throttles down to EDGE - all without harassing you. I can live with that.

Yes! And like I said ST is $45 for a reason. Its great for MOST users but not all. I use less than 25Megs a day and I use my phone a lot. Granted I dont stream movies or anything of that nature on my data. Last month on ATT I used 700-800Megs of data.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes! And like I said ST is $45 for a reason. Its great for MOST users but not all. I use less than 25Megs a day and I use my phone a lot. Granted I dont stream movies or anything of that nature on my data. Last month on ATT I used 700-800Megs of data.

I've used between 3-4 gb of data the last 3 months on straight talk and no warnings or anything like that.I used the data counter built in to ICS to keep track

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site

I've used between 3-4 gb of data the last 3 months on straight talk and no warnings or anything like that.I used the data counter built in to ICS to keep track

Well, I'll see how things go with the T-Mo prepaid plan first. If it starts looking like I don't need very much mobile data (hard to say, considering I'm coming from glacially slow Sprint 3G service that I usually avoid using to keep my sanity in check), I might give ST a try and see what it's like for me. After all, it woud be 25% cheaper. Hooray for no contracts!

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'll see how things go with the T-Mo prepaid plan first. If it starts looking like I don't need very much mobile data (hard to say, considering I'm coming from glacially slow Sprint 3G service that I usually avoid using to keep my sanity in check), I might give ST a try and see what it's like for me. After all, it woud be 25% cheaper. Hooray for no contracts!

Yep. Either way u go it'll be cheaper than having a contract so everybody wins!! Woohoo

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Yes indeed! Everyone does win! I will get my feet wet with ST sometime in the near future. For now I am with att. I love the service. Coverage is great! So I know what it will be like when I do get onto prepaid.

danisnotstan

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site

I'm in Chandler and I'm considering Straight Talk. I currently have Sprint and as you said, Sprint is Sloooooooow and has been getting worse. You know it is bad when you have an Airave and it still sometimes roams haha How is your ST service in the area? I see you have GSM but I heard that the phones that are sold in stores are CDMA and are on Verizon? Any advice? Thanks

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm in Chandler and I'm considering Straight Talk. I currently have Sprint and as you said, Sprint is Sloooooooow and has been getting worse. You know it is bad when you have an Airave and it still sometimes roams haha How is your ST service in the area? I see you have GSM but I heard that the phones that are sold in stores are CDMA and are on Verizon? Any advice? Thanks

You know the CDMA phones that Straight Talk use now use the Sprint network. I read an article sometime earlier this year about how Sprint won the bid because Verizon wanted more money for them to use their network.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

danisnotstan

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
You know the CDMA phones that Straight Talk use now use the Sprint network. I read an article sometime earlier this year about how Sprint won the bid because Verizon wanted more money for them to use their network.

I've never seen anything about ST using Sprint... I'll have to do more research. If I wanted to stay with Sprint, Virgin Mobile would be the best bet for me. Obviously I would lose roaming on VM but then again, my Sprint phones rarely roam on VZW like they're supposed to anyway. It will roam for a few seconds but will constantly be trying to grasp to a Sprint tower even if it means that Sprint tower wont provide working service. Maybe I'll pick up an AT&T GSM phone and take a chance on Straight Talk. T-Mobile seems just as spotty at my house as Sprint is.

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I've never seen anything about ST using Sprint... I'll have to do more research. If I wanted to stay with Sprint, Virgin Mobile would be the best bet for me. Obviously I would lose roaming on VM but then again, my Sprint phones rarely roam on VZW like they're supposed to anyway. It will roam for a few seconds but will constantly be trying to grasp to a Sprint tower even if it means that Sprint tower wont provide working service. Maybe I'll pick up an AT&T GSM phone and take a chance on Straight Talk. T-Mobile seems just as spotty at my house as Sprint is.

I found the article check it out let me know what you make of it.
http://www.fiercewireless.com/story...id-phones-will-use-sprints-network/2011-09-09

danisnotstan

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I found the article check it out let me know what you make of it.
TracFone's Straight Talk Android phones will use Sprint's network - FierceWireless

Thanks for the link. I guess ST CDMA is out of the question haha I'm now seriously considering the $30 T-Mobile deal for Unlimited data, text and 100 minutes and also getting a cheap VZW pre-paid flip phone for calls in the event that the T-Mobile phone doesn't get service in an emergency.

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm in Chandler and I'm considering Straight Talk. I currently have Sprint and as you said, Sprint is Sloooooooow and has been getting worse. You know it is bad when you have an Airave and it still sometimes roams haha How is your ST service in the area?

Well, I'm not actually on ST, but rather, T-Mo prepaid. But my service with T-Mo has been quite good, so far: WAY faster data and pretty decent voice coverage in Phoenix metro. I would imagine that ST on the T-Mo SIM (you choose whether you want an AT&T or T-Mo SIM when signing up) would behave identically because it's accessing the exact same network.

I might consider BYOD with ST at a later date after I've tread the waters a bit with my data usage. ST arbitrarily soft-caps data usage (2-3GB for most people) and sends shutoff warnings if they think you're being a pig (they don't have a way to throttle, apparently). T-Mo simply just throttles down to 2G/EDGE after you exceed your high-speed limit. But so far, I've only been using about 30MB per day worth of mobile data, according to my device because I'm not very big on mobile streaming.

I guess ST CDMA is out of the question haha I'm now seriously considering the $30 T-Mobile deal for Unlimited data, text and 100 minutes and also getting a cheap VZW pre-paid flip phone for calls in the event that the T-Mobile phone doesn't get service in an emergency.

The $30 T-Mo plan is a good deal, as long as you don't plan on talking much. You can supplement the lack of voice minutes with Google Voice + a VoIP app (like Groove IP), but the quality isn't anything I'd consider great over a mobile network. I'm currently on T-Mo's $60 prepaid plan (unlimited talk/text + 2GB high-speed data) and I got a $5/mo. discount for the first 6 months when I signed up (not sure if they're still offering that).

Airwolf79

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Also, good to note that T-Mobile overages are only 10?/min so 100 min over would still put u at only $49 for that 5gb plan. Not bad for that much data. I guess it depends on how much u talk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz