Throttled on Straight Talk at the 1.2gb?

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I think the fear with straight talk is them closing your account for overage or whatever....and you losing your number in the process.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Your right they must be thinking that, and I imagine that it would go into the pool and you would lose it.... Not sure though

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
And this is why I went the T-Mobile Monthly 4G route. I'm on the $60 plan (2GB high speed, then throttle), but at least I know exactly when they're going to throttle me (they even send a warning text when you're getting close to your cap). But I'm contemplating moving up to their $70 plan (NO data throttle) next billing cycle because Spotify is becoming quite the data pig in the car...

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
And this is why I went the T-Mobile Monthly 4G route. I'm on the $60 plan (2GB high speed, then throttle), but at least I know exactly when they're going to throttle me (they even send a warning text when you're getting close to your cap). But I'm contemplating moving up to their $70 plan (NO data throttle) next billing cycle because Spotify is becoming quite the data pig in the car...

Have you considered Solavei? T-Mobile MVNO - $49 for unlimited talk /text /data. The data isn't throttled until 4GB. This makes it a better value than the $50 or $60 T-Mobile plans. Could be an option if you don't need the truly unlimited $70 plan.

Solavei is also doing the affiliate sign up thing which can effectively lower this rate if you're interested in such things.

I've been very happy with them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Have you considered Solavei? T-Mobile MVNO - $49 for unlimited talk /text /data. The data isn't throttled until 4GB. This makes it a better value than the $50 or $60 T-Mobile plans. Could be an option if you don't need the truly unlimited $70 plan.

Solavei is also doing the affiliate sign up thing which can effectively lower this rate if you're interested in such things.

I've been very happy with them.

I've considered Solavei at one point. Question though: do they hit you with an activation fee if you're only interested in the phone service itself? I'm kinda unclear on that. Thanks!

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I've considered Solavei at one point. Question though: do they hit you with an activation fee if you're only interested in the phone service itself? I'm kinda unclear on that. Thanks!

They way they have worded this is my biggest complaint about them... The short answer is (unless they have changed something) no.

This is how it went for my husband who signed up less than a month ago. To the best of my knowledge it still works this way. When you "enroll" you buy the sim, and you pay for the first month. You then have 30 days to activate. When you activate your sim, there's no charge and the starting date for your month resets.

When you enroll they take you to a next step of becoming a "social member". This is optional if you just want service (mandatory if you want to sign others up. I think they also take you there the first time you sign in.)

If at a later date you want to sign people up there's an option to "Become a Social Member" from your account. There's no charge for this. There's no difference in cost or service. I am a social member. My husband is not. The difference is I have an affiliate link and the opportunity to be paid, he doesn't.

They don't add taxes to the first month which I find strange, but they do add them to the subsequent months.

Please let me know if I haven't explained this well. I can't guarantee anything, that's just how it worked for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC