If you're in Iowa --- iWireless prepaid $45

mmtowns

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
iWireless is a T-Mobile affiliate. They now have a prepaid $45/30 days "Megatalk" plan which includes unlimited talk & text, 3GB of high-speed (4G HSPA?) data.

Details.

I contacted customer service and found out they support BYOP with unlocked GSM phones. $10 for the sim/activation and required to pay for first 15 days of service. Per customer service, iWireless has roaming agreements nationwide. The coverage map looks pretty good with 3g/4g in many major metropolitan areas.

I plan to give iWireless a try when my Nexus 4 arrives tomorrow and will update this thread a week or so from now.

Is anyone else on this forum giving iWireless prepaid a try in Iowa?

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Have you considered Solavei? They are also a T-Mobile MVNO. $49 unlimited talk/text/data unthrottled until 4GB. It's BYOP, prepaid with no contract. They have access to the full T-Mobile prepaid network. They are also doing the affiliate sign up thing which can effectively lower your monthly bill.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

mmtowns

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
Have you considered Solavei? They are also a T-Mobile MVNO. $49 unlimited talk/text/data unthrottled until 4GB. It's BYOP, prepaid with no contract. They have access to the full T-Mobile prepaid network. They are also doing the affiliate sign up thing which can effectively lower your monthly bill.

I have not considered any other TMo MVNOs, because in genreral TMo coverage is very scattered in Iowa. I think iWireless has their own towers, so I'm wondering if Solavei would hop on iWireless towers? Do you have any experience with Solavei utilizing non-Tmo towers?

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I have not considered any other TMo MVNOs, because in genreral TMo coverage is very scattered in Iowa. I think iWireless has their own towers, so I'm wondering if Solavei would hop on iWireless towers? Do you have any experience with Solavei utilizing non-Tmo towers?

If iWireless has their own towers, that would make a difference. I have been in T-Mobile service partner areas (stripes on the Solavei map) and seemed to have a strong signal. That's going to vary based on location. The best bet would be to compare the coverage maps. As far as I know the Solavei map is the same as the T-Mobile prepaid. (which is different than the post paid. And this part really irritates me, you need to be zoomed in most of the way to really see the different coverage types clearly.) If Solavei can use those towers it should show up as a service partner area.

mmtowns

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
If iWireless has their own towers, that would make a difference. I have been in T-Mobile service partner areas (stripes on the Solavei map) and seemed to have a strong signal. That's going to vary based on location. The best bet would be to compare the coverage maps. As far as I know the Solavei map is the same as the T-Mobile prepaid. (which is different than the post paid. And this part really irritates me, you need to be zoomed in most of the way to really see the different coverage types clearly.) If Solavei can use those towers it should show up as a service partner area.

Thanks for this information - I may give Solavei a try. One more question -- what is your experience with data speeds when you're on their "service partner" towers?

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for this information - I may give Solavei a try. One more question -- what is your experience with data speeds when you're on their "service partner" towers?

I didn't test data. I will have the opportunity to test on Monday. I'll report back.

mmtowns

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
Hmm...I installed the iWireless sim tonight, ported the number over and all I am getting so far is Edge, despite the coverage map suggesting otherwise. I have a message into support to see if I need to change some settings.

EDIT: As it turns out, dark green on their coverage map is 2G/Edge not 3G. Pink is 3g/4g, so I am stuck with Edge where I live and work.

Looks like I will be switching carriers after this month.

Last edited:

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
On Solavei, the service partner areas I was in came up as 2g. I haven't seen 2g in an area the map shows as 3g/4g.

dunni88

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
So the "Fast Mobile Web" is not 3G?? If that's only 2G then what is the one called "Mobile Web"? I'm dissapointed to hear that they aren't any good, I live in Cedar Falls and it seemed like this plan plus a Nexus 4 would be a winner. Where are you located? Which carrier will you go with now? I've debated between Net10 AT&T sim or this iWireless plan.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
So the "Fast Mobile Web" is not 3G?? If that's only 2G then what is the one called "Mobile Web"? I'm dissapointed to hear that they aren't any good, I live in Cedar Falls and it seemed like this plan plus a Nexus 4 would be a winner. Where are you located? Which carrier will you go with now? I've debated between Net10 AT&T sim or this iWireless plan.

Thats to bad! But to be honest anything that uses the att towers on prepaid is better just with coverage alone. If you are in a good att area then I say go for it if your not a huge data user. Net10 will cap you at 1.5 gigs per month. I think thats fair though got the price. A friend of mine if currently on Red pocket. Another att prepaid service with his N4. I'm on att post paid paying about $70 a month or so with 3 gigs of data and 450 minutes (rollover). For testing I just use my data plan with Google voice and I have all my my calls using Google voice as well. Brings my bill down about $25 a month. Something to look into!

mmtowns

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site

I live in Linn county, but outside the "pink" data coverage area, so my home and place of employment were both in 2G/Edge. It looks like Cedar Falls has 3G/4G.

After one month with iWireless, I switched to Straight Talk AT&T (I had a microsim ordered before the current shortage), but Net10 would have been my second choice. I now have better data coverage (3G at home and place of employment) in the areas I travel regularly. Voice coverage at times is not as good as it was with iWireless, but it has not been a major hurdle so far.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-14 at 8.31.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-14 at 8.31.10 AM.png
    198.5 KB · Views: 45

dunni88

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Hey just wanted to check in and let people know that Net10 AT&T has been so-so for me. I've had it for my first month and had a tough decision about whether to stick with them or go try iWireless. The data has been oddly intermittent. It's hard to explain, but I get good data most of the time, but sometimes even with good coverage it will just hang up and pages won't load. That seems to have gone away now though.

It's about 1.5mbps during busy times and 5mbps when it's late at night, which for me is generally good enough. Beats the hell out of 100-500kbs with virgin mobile.

Calls have been great, haven't had a dropped call yet.

I think iWireless would be much better in areas with the Pink coverage, but I don't know how it would be on 380 or 20 when you only have the dark green. Also, when traveling it looks like there are a lot of places where AT&T has 4G and T-mo/iWireless has 2 or 3g.

I've been tempted to try iWireless, but it would cost 10 bucks for the SIM and there would be some hassle with porting my number so I've held off. MMTowns, would you be willing to give me your iWireless SIM?? I could give you a Net10 or T-mobile SIM in return.

mmtowns

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the offer, dunni88. I'm still holding on to my iWireless sim as I was told the company is doing a "large build out" in 2013. If 3g/4g comes to my part of Linn county, I would like to give it a try again.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I'm in Waterloo and the only serious data contender I've seen thus far is Verizon, but it's closer to $70 per person. AT&T seems slightly faster than US Cellular, but US Cellular has better coverage for calls. If I was going to go GSM today it'd be AT&T, but really hoping T-Mobile comes here in the future.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
If anyone is going with Solavei please keep in mind that they do not allow short codes except for Facebook, Google and Twitter.

dunni88

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm in Waterloo and the only serious data contender I've seen thus far is Verizon, but it's closer to $70 per person. AT&T seems slightly faster than US Cellular, but US Cellular has better coverage for calls. If I was going to go GSM today it'd be AT&T, but really hoping T-Mobile comes here in the future.

Yah, my roommate has Verizon and they do have 4G LTE here as well as the best coverage across the country hands down. It's been a tempting option every time I think about changing. However, for me it would mean paying almost twice as much, being stuck in a contract and still paying 200 bucks for the phone (Razr Maxx HD is what I'd want).

US Cellular is also really tempting, but they seem to be priced even higher than Verizon. I would have thought they'd be priced more in line with iWireless since they are both mostly a regional carrier, but no such luck. Their prepaid is a little more reasonably priced, but with the 50 dollar plan you can't even get an android and with the 65 dollar plan you can pick from some of their older androids...all at full price.

Net10/Straight talk seems like the best option at this point, hopefully iWireless will step their game up, but seeing as most of their home area is still 2G and there's only a few cities with 3G/4G it doesn't look great. The other thing is that iWireless doesn't have discounted PINs anywhere. I can get either straight talk or Net10 cards for 42.50 or so most of the time, sometimes less.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yah, my roommate has Verizon and they do have 4G LTE here as well as the best coverage across the country hands down. It's been a tempting option every time I think about changing. However, for me it would mean paying almost twice as much, being stuck in a contract and still paying 200 bucks for the phone (Razr Maxx HD is what I'd want).

US Cellular is also really tempting, but they seem to be priced even higher than Verizon. I would have thought they'd be priced more in line with iWireless since they are both mostly a regional carrier, but no such luck. Their prepaid is a little more reasonably priced, but with the 50 dollar plan you can't even get an android and with the 65 dollar plan you can pick from some of their older androids...all at full price.

Net10/Straight talk seems like the best option at this point, hopefully iWireless will step their game up, but seeing as most of their home area is still 2G and there's only a few cities with 3G/4G it doesn't look great. The other thing is that iWireless doesn't have discounted PINs anywhere. I can get either straight talk or Net10 cards for 42.50 or so most of the time, sometimes less.

Does anyone have speed tests from iWireless in the dark green and/or pink areas?

webOpete

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I just jumped to iw from vmbl and very happy. For Iowan, vm sux because of Sprint towers $35unlimited for 3g, not 4g yet. $10 more you get 4g. I wouldn't call it 4g, just 3g+. I tested Des Moines to Nebraska server highest was 3.3mbps where I only get 400mbps on VM.
I'm on the megatalk $45 unlimted 4g cap at 3gb. Also they are not just limited to their iw and tmo towers, i also connect to att 3g towers also.
Not bad for $76 for 2 months with free 4g phone.
Once my two months up, I'm thinking of getting different unlocked phone. I'm looking at ATT pentec burst, but dont know if it would work with iw 4g.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I just jumped to iw from vmbl and very happy. For Iowan, vm sux because of Sprint towers $35unlimited for 3g, not 4g yet. $10 more you get 4g. I wouldn't call it 4g, just 3g+. I tested Des Moines to Nebraska server highest was 3.3mbps where I only get 400mbps on VM.
I'm on the megatalk $45 unlimted 4g cap at 3gb. Also they are not just limited to their iw and tmo towers, i also connect to att 3g towers also.
Not bad for $76 for 2 months with free 4g phone.
Once my two months up, I'm thinking of getting different unlocked phone. I'm looking at ATT pentec burst, but dont know if it would work with iw 4g.

So you consider it a good value to get basically 3G speeds for around $40/45/month? I'm on Verizon LTE right now, much more expensive, but trying to figure out if going to iWireless could be worth it.

webOpete

May 23, 2013
Visit site
my friends on Vzn LTE he gets 7.7mbps compare to my 3mbps, but you get what you pay for. I just know it's better than VM.
My co work is also on Vzn but with iphone 4 3g not 4g, she only gets 700kbps max where I get 1.3mbps. $70 contract.
Anotehr of my coworker is with Sprint HTC evo he gets under 1mbps. $70 contract.
here's pic just now DES MOINES - AMES speed test.
4lp0dj.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis