Net10 (AT&T) officially throttling at 1.5GB (Is Straight Talk next?)

mmtowns

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
Original AC forum source

Net10 announcement pasted below

Effective March 1, 2013, your NET10 Wireless Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP?) AT&T-compatible SIM will be limited to 1.5GB of high speed data usage per 30 day period on the Unlimited plan. Any redemption made prior to March 1st will not be affected by this policy.
The NET10 30-Day Unlimited Airtime Card that you add to your phone will indicate unlimited data; however with an ATT compatible SIM (A- dark blue or B- light blue) you will only receive 1.5GB of data for that 30 day period. You can choose the T-Mobile (TMO) compatible SIM (C-pink) that was included in your package if you prefer to receive Unlimited* 4GƗ data. Please visit our website for instructions on determining if you have TMO compatible service in your area, activating the TMO SIM and transferring your telephone number.
In the event that you cannot locate your TMO SIM, NET10 Wireless will provide a onetime free replacement TMO SIM in TMO compatible areas. Please go to net10data.com or call
888-805-5895
Please visit our net10data.com site to learn how you can save data usage by accessing Wi-Fi sites and closing applications not in use that consume data.
*Tethering is prohibited. Other restrictions and limitations apply. See Terms and Conditions of Service.​

anon(319128)

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I think it's a hard cap. I believe I read on Net10 that you lose data for the rest of the current 30 days if you exhaust the 1.5gb data. No throttling is mentioned at all.

JJ

Logan LaChance

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
The 1.5gb is a soft cap. I hit the 1.5gb mark today. Signed up for net10 the day the policy was enforced(it sucks) You get throttled back to 50kbps. Switching back to edge is faster.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
The 1.5gb is a soft cap. I hit the 1.5gb mark today. Signed up for net10 the day the policy was enforced(it sucks)

I wanted to ask for an update to see if it was still a soft cap, or if you ever got completely cut off?

You get throttled back to 50kbps. Switching back to edge is faster.

Isn't that the same thing, or is edge faster than 50kbps?

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to ask for an update to see if it was still a soft cap, or if you ever got completely cut off?

Isn't that the same thing, or is edge faster than 50kbps?

I thought edge is like 100k? I dunno I could be wrong.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy SIII

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I thought edge is like 100k? I dunno I could be wrong.

My bad; you are right. Seeing a lot different numbers and explanation as I try to look on Wikipedia and other places, but looks like 2g is "GPRS" and is about the speed of dial-up. Whereas EDGE is two or three times faster (or more) than 2g. I didn't know that. I thought EDGE and 2g were the same.

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
BE WARNED. I bought a Samsung Galaxy SII phone from Net10 back in February. It came with an ATT SIM. I requested the free replacement T-Mobile SIM on March 16th & never received it. I have gone round & round with the customer dis-service people and they are insisting that the free replacement is only for BYOP folks. Good luck, you'll need it!