My AIO wireless review.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I live in alsaka, and as such was unable to order the aio SIM kit to my address. I had to use a friend's address in Texas and he forwarded it to me. When I recieved the activation kit, I went online to their website to activate it. I put in my assigned phone number and order number to do this, but it said the service was tempoarily unavailable. I tried several times with the same result. I then put the SIM card into my phone, an HTC one branded to Att. I recieved a signal and it showed the carrier as AIO wireless. I tried to make a call and an automated voice responded that my phone was not activated and that it would help me activate, but unfortunately their offices were closed. I went back to the website and tried to activation procees again. This time it gave me a message, activation successful. I went back to the phone to make a call, but once again the automated voice tells me it's not activated. At this point I gave up for the night.

The following day I called customer service. I spoke with a rep named Sandra. She was very polite and well spoken. She also could not activate my line, so she told me to take out the SIM card and turn the phone off. Since I was speaking to her with the phone I wanted activated, she asked for an alternative number so she could call me back. I gave her my current Att number and hung up. She called me back in five minutes, as promised. Unfortunately it still didn't work. She now says she will give me a case number and open a case with technical support, and that it may take up to 48 hrs to resolve.

12 hours later I recived a text on the phone saying that all should be working now, and it was. 12 hours after that, the customer rep called me to inquire if it was working. This is great customer service.

Att is not strong in my city, so I have about 3 bars all the time. The internet speed is about 3mb average. My plan is the $40 one with only 250mb of fast data, and after that it slows down for u limited.
Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

friedtators

May 27, 2013
Visit site
You got big rocks. You are lucky they did not say no. You could run into issues besides the 911 registration and the constant roaming. I hope it works out. Lotta folks are ready to sign up and they are only in parts of 3 states so I bet there is a lot of demand

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
You got big rocks. You are lucky they did not say no. You could run into issues besides the 911 registration and the constant roaming. I hope it works out. Lotta folks are ready to sign up and they are only in parts of 3 states so I bet there is a lot of demand

It's not roaming. They are an Att company and run on Att s network. If you look at their coverage map, it's the same as Att. They are just launching slowly.

friedtators

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Your area code is not for your area but your buddies. So although its not roaming your not home and they will notice. Att has many mvnos and they watch their network.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Your area code is not for your area but your buddies. So although its not roaming your not home and they will notice. Att has many mvnos and they watch their network.

Since when does the area code have to match location? You can use any number any where you want.

Airwolf79

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Dude, he lives in Alaska. Its a state, not a different country. It doesn't matter where u sign up for your service, u can use it anywhere in the US.
To the OP, thanks for the review. Its good to know their customer service is decent. I'm considering switching to an ATT MVNO in the near future. Was thinking about Red Pocket, but maybe I'll try AIO.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Dude, he lives in Alaska. Its a state, not a different country. It doesn't matter where u sign up for your service, u can use it anywhere in the US.
To the OP, thanks for the review. Its good to know their customer service is decent. I'm considering switching to an ATT MVNO in the near future. Was thinking about Red Pocket, but maybe I'll try AIO.

Please note that AIO wireless is actually owned by att, and is not like straight talk, net 10 etc. Those mvno's, based on a Google search are known to have terrible customer service.

Airwolf79

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I was reading that their max download speeds are 4mb/s, which I believe is only 3g. I thought most ATT MVNOs were capable of HSPA+ which is up to 13mb/s. That is surprising to hear since ATT owns AIO.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I was reading that their max download speeds are 4mb/s, which I believe is only 3g. I thought most ATT MVNOs were capable of HSPA+ which is up to 13mb/s. That is surprising to hear since ATT owns AIO.

You are right. I average 3mbs. I won't be watching video, it's good enough to stream audio, browsing etc. I prefer paying $40 for this than paying att $100 a month.

rhcreed

May 24, 2011
Visit site
According to their plan listing, you can only use the $40 plan with a basic phone, not a smartphone. What are you using? Is this limitation not enforced? Thx!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
According to their plan listing, you can only use the $40 plan with a basic phone, not a smartphone. What are you using? Is this limitation not enforced? Thx!

I'm using the HTC one. When I ordered my SIM I chose the HTC one x plus as my phone and it allowed me to choose the $40 plan.

mindhead1

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Airwolf79. You may want to rethink Red Pocket. I ordered a SIM from them on 5/24 and still have not received it. I called customer service and could barely hear the guy I was talking to due to all the background noise. It sounded like he was in a gym watching a basketball game.

I wanted to try the ATT network with my Nexus 4, to see if the coverage is better than with my current T-mo plan. If the Red Pocket SIM ever shows up, i'll test it out. If ATT network works well for me. I'll probably give AIO a shot and leave the Red Pocket.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm considering switching to an ATT MVNO in the near future

I use Net10 which is an AT&T mvno. No complaints. There is a hard cap at 1.5 GB, but that is enough for me, and even though the speeds aren't stellar, I still can stream video 95 percent of the time. I tried Tmobile but didn't get coverage in my condo. AT&T has much better building penetration and Net10 has been great because before I would get no bars at home unless I stood next to the window and hoped for Edge, and now I get 3 or 4 bars and fast enough to stream video anywhere in my house.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I average 3mbs. I won't be watching video, it's good enough to stream audio, browsing etc.

Really? 3 mbps should be fast enough to stream video on a phone. I could be mistaken but I think I average between 1 and 2 mbps and I've never had trouble streaming.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I see. So its not considered an MVNO?

Despite being owned by AT&T, I think AIO is still considered an MVNO.

I don't what difference it would make because it sounds like 3g speeds to me, but AIO Wireless will have access to HSPA+, but they will just limit the HSPA+ speeds to no higher than 4 mbps.

JoJoCal19

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site

I read on another forum if you BYOD then you can get the $40 plan for a smartphone.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Getting the $40 plan for a smart phone is allowed. One thing I noticed is in places where I used to get edge with my att sim, I'm getting 4g with the aio SIM. Same phone.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000