My AIO wireless review.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
When AIO started advertising, we went to upgrade our basic telephones to smart phones. I was not happy with what was offered, because I am going overseas and it would not do what I thought I wanted. But my husband decided to change to AIO. For over a week, every 15 mintues the phone whistled at him. We tried all kinds of alarm settings, nothing would turn it off. He took the phone back 3 times and no one could figure it out. When he checked his usage, even though it was unlimited, there were several 100 "calls". He makes phone calls only, no texts no internet, nothing. When he asked what they were and from who, the response was don't worry, it's unlimited, so no charge. Corporate customer service called several times and had no idea what the whistle was. Finally they replaced the phone. The people in the store were useless, very little English, and had no idea what they were selling. I went back to ATT, where I have been for 15 years, explained what I wanted and that I had been advised to buy the Samsung Galaxy, they suggested another, less expensive phone and it does everything I want. $20/month more, but I'm happy!
Att has good service in my experience.

From the desk of Hiss Excellency.

evilpinklolita

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Aokusman,
I am glad I found this thread. I live in Houston, TX and own property in Alaska, so I go back and forth all the time. As I'm sure you're aware, hardly any phone companies offer service in Alaska, and even fewer offer service in both Alaska and Texas. Since you are having good experiences with Aio, I think I'll switch. I'm on TMobile prepaid now. TMobile throttles data to 2g speeds after just 500mb of use. The 2g is useless for anything for me. I can't access the internet at all once it slows down. I had my own bad experiences with Net10 after they capped the data on ATT devices right after I signed up. They claimed customers could get a free TMobile SIM if we didn't want the cap, but they never sent it to me after numerous frustrating calls spent on hold with reps who could barely speak English.

I believe we all have high expectations of our cell service, and rarely do we get everything we want all the time in one company: quality, service, value. The trick is getting the most out of the dollars we spend. If you're in the Anchorage or Fairbanks area, you'll probably get a better signal with AT&T companies, such as AIO, than with TMobile anyway. If you're anywhere in the interior or tundra, GCI is your only option that I know of.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Aokusman,
I am glad I found this thread. I live in Houston, TX and own property in Alaska, so I go back and forth all the time. As I'm sure you're aware, hardly any phone companies offer service in Alaska, and even fewer offer service in both Alaska and Texas. Since you are having good experiences with Aio, I think I'll switch. I'm on TMobile prepaid now. TMobile throttles data to 2g speeds after just 500mb of use. The 2g is useless for anything for me. I can't access the internet at all once it slows down. I had my own bad experiences with Net10 after they capped the data on ATT devices right after I signed up. They claimed customers could get a free TMobile SIM if we didn't want the cap, but they never sent it to me after numerous frustrating calls spent on hold with reps who could barely speak English.

I believe we all have high expectations of our cell service, and rarely do we get everything we want all the time in one company: quality, service, value. The trick is getting the most out of the dollars we spend. If you're in the Anchorage or Fairbanks area, you'll probably get a better signal with AT&T companies, such as AIO, than with TMobile anyway. If you're anywhere in the interior or tundra, GCI is your only option that I know of.

I am in Fairbanks on ft wainwright.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

jakemyster84

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
So I have been looking at AIO wireless and heard that it was coming to all customer in the US. I checked their website today and it now says it is available to all. I put in my zip here in MN and was able to browse all phones and plans that are available. Once the new Nexus comes out this fall I will be switching to AIO I believe. I am currently on Verizon with grandfathered unlimited data, but I am sick of their high prices and no new Nexus phones in sight coming.

The site also shows full LTE service for many areas in the US, including my area here in the Twin Cities. If anyone goes to AIO that is in MN let me know how it goes and what the signal is like.

Thanks

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
The site also shows full LTE service for many areas in the US, including my area here in the Twin Cities. If anyone goes to AIO that is in MN let me know how it goes and what the signal is like.

Not sure if this link will show legal terms here:
Data Speeds
but on the AIO wireless plan website if you follow the links under the data plans for "additional plan info" and then click on "download speed" the terms stipulate that LTE service is maxed at downloads speeds at 8 Mbps and 4G HSPA+ is maxed at downloads speeds 4 Mbps.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Not unusable at all. You can stream non hd youtube, download podcast, stream live radio, FB, Twitter, emails. Etc. I dont mind waiting the extra 10 seconds for a stream to start. My goal was to reduce my bill, which I did. The rest is extra.

@aokusman, (or any other AIO wireless customer who still knows about this first hand), have you had any more experience after you've hit your cap? Are you still still getting throttled speeds fast enough to do all this?

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
@aokusman, (or any other AIO wireless customer who still knows about this first hand), have you had any more experience after you've hit your cap? Are you still still getting throttled speeds fast enough to do all this?

You can still do all these. I noticed though, the strength of your signal will affect your speeds. If you have full bars it's fine, but with one or two bars it really slows down to almost unusable.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
That really is a good deal to have that kind of throttled functionality after you hit your cap. I'll be interested to see if AIO can keep those kinds of throttled speed after they launch nationwide and the customer base swells exponentially compared to now. I might consider this for my Mom who only just want to stream live radio for stations not broadcast locally. The $40 plan says only "basic phone" whereas the other two price tiers say "basic phone and smartphones." I wonder if that means you can't get data with the Nexus 4 on the $40 plan.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
That really is a good deal to have that kind of throttled functionality after you hit your cap. I'll be interested to see if AIO can keep those kinds of throttled speed after they launch nationwide and the customer base swells exponentially compared to now. I might consider this for my Mom who only just want to stream live radio for stations not broadcast locally. The $40 plan says only "basic phone" whereas the other two price tiers say "basic phone and smartphones." I wonder if that means you can't get data with the Nexus 4 on the $40 plan.

I signed up for the $40 plan with the HTC one.

jbower1950

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
The Nexus 7 LTE is out and it works perfectly with AIO. $15/month tablet plan, but you can also get the Gig extra for $10.

The sound is perfect using Talkaton for calls on both WiFi and LTE

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this link will show legal terms here:
Data Speeds
but on the AIO wireless plan website if you follow the links under the data plans for "additional plan info" and then click on "download speed" the terms stipulate that LTE service is maxed at downloads speeds at 8 Mbps and 4G HSPA+ is maxed at downloads speeds 4 Mbps.

For most that is still plenty. I mean unless you plan on downloading huge files that is still plenty fast for everyday use web browsing, streaming, etc

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

I really want to move my number from Verizon over to Aio but wanted to try it out first by getting a new number before porting but I found out I have to buy a sim for each scenario. Is it worth it just to dive in and port or should I test the waters before I give up my grandfathered unlimited data?

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

I really want to move my number from Verizon over to Aio but wanted to try it out first by getting a new number before porting but I found out I have to buy a sim for each scenario. Is it worth it just to dive in and port or should I test the waters before I give up my grandfathered unlimited data?

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

Just activate one number for a month to try it. Then the next month just port it over if you like it.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Krlos Polanco

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi!

Me and my girlfriend are in MetroPCS and have very poor reception in new Jersey and some malls in new York.

I ordered a simcard online with AIO, basic plan and it took 2 days to arrive.

I chose basic plan and is working perfect, excellent coverage! but data speed is around 3mb download :(

I'm testing ATT signal coverage before porting my numbers. I have used costumer service 2 times (chat) and they are very polite and friendly.

I have heard of straight talk and net10 but I prefer give a chance to this new company.... And besides I read somewhere else that aio belongs to ATT, the other 2 not.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi!

Me and my girlfriend are in MetroPCS and have very poor reception in new Jersey and some malls in new York.

I ordered a simcard online with AIO, basic plan and it took 2 days to arrive.

I chose basic plan and is working perfect, excellent coverage! but data speed is around 3mb download :(

I'm testing ATT signal coverage before porting my numbers. I have used costumer service 2 times (chat) and they are very polite and friendly.

I have heard of straight talk and net10 but I prefer give a chance to this new company.... And besides I read somewhere else that aio belongs to ATT, the other 2 not.

Att currently does. I think they are selling it off though from what I heard with some merger or something.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Not unusable at all. You can stream non hd youtube, download podcast, stream live radio, FB, Twitter, emails. Etc. I dont mind waiting the extra 10 seconds for a stream to start. My goal was to reduce my bill, which I did. The rest is extra.

Actually it's been confirmed that AIO will throttle down to 256kbps after you use your highspeed allotment. That is faster than typical EDGE speeds and is more than enough for web, maps, basic streaming.

@aokusman, (or anybody else),

Have the AIO throttled speeds remained good enough to stream audio? Or has that changed?

peterdroid

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
@aokusman, (or anybody else),

Have the AIO throttled speeds remained good enough to stream audio? Or has that changed?
few days ago i reading about it in other forum .And there are guys saying what speed will be ~128 kbps. :( i dont know , enough it for stream or no.. But i think - yes. maybe with some freez..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech