Best prepaid GSM carrier in terms of data allowance.

ernestoc33

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I have virgin mobile and it's great on data, but I like changing phones(often) and VM really cripples that ability.

I'm going to buy a gsm phone from Newegg, so I can get something compatible with either tmo or att frequency.

I know there's straight talk, net 10, h2o or gosmart.

Anyone I should avoid or that's a great value.

I don't talk much, I mainly text and use data.

Thanks

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Best prepaid Gsm carrier in terms of data allowance.

I have virgin mobile and it's great on data, but I like changing phones(often) and VM really cripples that ability.

I'm going to buy a gsm phone from Newegg, so I can get something compatible with either tmo or att frequency.

I know there's straight talk, net 10, h2o or gosmart.

Anyone I should avoid or that's a great value.

I don't talk much, I mainly text and use data.

Thanks

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

How much data do you use per month?

Airwolf79

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I think AT&T Go Phone is by far the best out there for AT&T prepaids now that they changed their pricing. $60/month for unlimited talk, text, and 2GBs high speed data, now with LTE. Unless you're going to go with a T-Mobile MVNO, there's no better deal for GSM prepaid.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

The best value is T-mobile $30 5GB of data plan, but you only get 100 minutes of talk so most people can't manage with it. Otherwise, it seems like you should stay away from Straight Talk since most customers complain about unpredictable throttling. The problem with choosing one prepaid plan over another, is that one customer might not have any problems, and another will have lots of problems. It is just kind of trial and error. For instance, I use Net10 on AT&T's network (Net10 also has Tmobile sims, but I needed AT&T's coverage), and I've been happy with Net10, but other people complain about getting no data when travelling as well as not being able to MMS message. If I got good Tmobile coverage in my home, I'd probably go with Solovei. Here are a couple websites that might help.
Updated and Expanded: The Best US Prepaid Data Deals | Prepaid Phone News
Best no-contract wireless plans for unlocked Android devices | Android and Me

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

That $30 T-Mobile plan is probably the best value if you can make the minutes work. My husband didn't think he talked a lot, and he couldn't make it work.

I think the next best value is Solavei (T-Mobile MVNO.) It's $49 for unlimited talk/text/data unthrottled for 4GB - ~$55 after taxes and fees. They also have a referral program which can effectively lower this rate if you're interested in such things - it's worked out for me. We've been using Solavei since January and are happy with them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

I would argue for AIO, the ATT-owned prepaid subsidiary. Right now I pay $65/mo total (all taxes, everything) for unlimited talk, text/MMS and 5 gigs of 4G data. $5 more a month would get me on their 7 gig/mo 4G plan. Plus u can buy a recurring ?aio gig" for $10/mo. So that would be 8 gigs of 4G (along with unlimited everything else) for $80/mo. Way More than I need so I stick with 5gig plan. Not sure how it compares with other prepaids, but I'm *very* happy with AIO fwiw.

Posted via Android Central App

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I would argue for AIO, the ATT-owned prepaid subsidiary. Right now I pay $65/mo total (all taxes, everything) for unlimited talk, text/MMS and 5 gigs of 4G data. $5 more a month would get me on their 7 gig/mo 4G plan. Plus u can buy a recurring ?aio gig" for $10/mo. So that would be 8 gigs of 4G (along with unlimited everything else) for $80/mo. Way More than I need so I stick with 5gig plan. Not sure how it compares with other prepaids, but I'm *very* happy with AIO fwiw.

This includes no lte correct?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Only1Z

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

No, with LTE. I'm on a Galaxy S4 GE and receive LTE service on AIO.

AIO doesn't offer LTE. They cap the speed at 4mbps. It says so right on their web site in the fine print.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

To me it's T-mobile. But it's the 70$ unlimited everything plan. And u get lte at that.

Sent from my T-mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2

Only1Z

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

To me it's T-mobile. But it's the 70$ unlimited everything plan. And u get lte at that.

The new AT&T Go Phone plan at $60 with 2gb of data is very competitive with T-Mobile. I do tell people in Chicago to get T-Mobile if they don't travel. But if they travel like me, I suggest AT&T since they have much better coverage and terrific LTE (now offered with GoPhone). They have leveled the playing field a bit with this particular plan.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

I can go thru 2gb in an hour my girl a couple hours my 8yo brother about a day lol. ESPECIALLY with lte.

Only1Z

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

I can go thru 2gb in an hour my girl a couple hours my 8yo brother about a day lol. ESPECIALLY with lte.

I love how the "exception to the rule" people like to chime in on the topic. You do realize that most people use less than 1GB per month, right? Most people actually own high speed internet at home and many at work.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

I love how the "exception to the rule" people like to chime in on the topic. You do realize that most people use less than 1GB per month, right? Most people actually own high speed internet at home and many at work.

So u and everybody u know is MOST PEOPLE Huh lol? Most of us don't have wifi at home or work. Some people can't even get access to home Internet.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2

Only1Z

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

So u and everybody u know is MOST PEOPLE Huh lol? Most of us don't have wifi at home or work. Some people can't even get access to home Internet.

Most people use less than 1GB a month. It's fact. YOU are the exception to the rule. It is what it is.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Me and EVERYBODY I know huh??? The FACT is everything now days is gettin more data intensive. Heck look at Google play music now.

Airwolf79

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Me and EVERYBODY I know huh??? The FACT is everything now days is gettin more data intensive. Heck look at Google play music now.

Stop being such a cheapskate and buy home internet. People like u are the reason data rates have gotten so expensive in the first place. If u can't afford it, go to Starbucks.

Only1Z

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Stop being such a cheapskate and buy home internet. People like u are the reason data rates have gotten so expensive in the first place. If u can't afford it, go to Starbucks.

Exactly! I wasn't quite as direct as you were...lol Mobile data shouldn't be used for home internet. If one does that, one should understand that they are the exception to the rule. Most people use less than 1GB of mobile data in a month. That's a fact. It can be Google'd. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz