Straighttalk Samsung Galaxy Proclaim Glitchy

AMStevens89

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
I bought my Samsung Galaxy Proclaim on the Straighttalk network a month shy of a year ago. It worked great when I first got it. It was fast and it did everything I needed it to. But within a few months, it started having issues.

1.) It freezes on a black screen when apps are used, especially the camera and image gallery (original apps to the phone).
2.) It takes forever to enter and exit an app, whether the app is original to the phone or not.
3.) It takes a long time to "prepare SD card" when you turn the phone on.
4.) Buttons have stopped responding. The volume control buttons do not work when you are in the browser (it beeps like it's turning the volume up or down, but the volume control bar doesn't move). The "End Call"/"Answer Call", "Turn off Alarm"/"Snooze", and the texting keyboard don't respond promptly (the texting keyboard just downright refuses to type letters or numbers even when they light up).
5.) It does this weird zoom-in thing with the wallpaper whenever exiting an app.
6.) It beeps annoyingly whenever it is turned on and it doesn't stop, even after you have powered it down/removed the battery. It will simply resume beeping when you turn it back on again.

Five of my friends also have this same phone. Two of them have not reported many problems, but they have the newer version (not sure what it's called) and they haven't had their phones long. The others have been reporting issues exactly the same as mine, especially with the freezing, incessant beeping, and the fact that the texting buttons don't respond half the time. We are all incredibly frustrated.

We are college students and cannot afford to go out and buy a $600 iPhone just to get something that works decently, nor do we really have the money to go out and buy a new phone altogether.

I read somewhere that these problems are due to the fact that Samsung doesn't update the firmware after you buy it (and I'm told this is only true for the Straighttalk network... if this is so, is there any use sticking with Straighttalk??). Is this true? And if so, how do we go about updating it? Or... are there any fixes? Any help would be appreciated!!

atkichr

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Personally I would buy an s2 on ebay, att or tmo whichever is better in your area and do the byop program. The att s2 skyrocket gets lte runs 4.1 and for 150 on ebay is the best bang for your buck. My wife has one and loves it. I dont know if tmo only has the standard s2 but for 150 it's the best phone for the money

Posted via Android Central App

AMStevens89

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Not exactly sure what you mean by the "byop" program... can you explain this? I'm guessing it means "bring your own phone"...? And if it is what I think it means, how does it work? And would you still be on the Straighttalk network? And can CDMA phones be used?

atkichr

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
You can use cdma phones but you have to go to the website and see if you4 phone is compatible. If att or t mobile are good in your area I'd use one of those 2. Verizon only uses 3g on straight talk. Those 2 use 4g or 4glte if you have att. You can port your # over via phone call or on their website.

atkichr

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
To get on the program you buy a phone that is att or t mobile compatible online. Make sure it has a clean emi. No black listed phone. Then you go online to straight talk.com and buy the sim card from whatever company you want t mobile or att. Make sure its the right size sim card for the phone. The s2 takes a standard sim card. Order the sim card, buy the phone. When you have them both you call straight talk have them move your # over to the sim card. Pop the sim card in the phone and you'll be good to go. Then change the apn settings on the phone to what they say they are and then you'll have data and picture messaging

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463