AIO Wireless or Straight Talk?

yeahpie

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I am looking at getting a unlocked Moto X or possibly a Nexus 5 unless there are better options in the $300-$350 range. My question is which carrier functions better with these phones?

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I am looking at getting a unlocked Moto X or possibly a Nexus 5 unless there are better options in the $300-$350 range. My question is which carrier functions better with these phones?

I'd say AIO Wireless but prepaid is prepaid in my mind. Are you planning to use the att network? If so really either one should work but AIO gives a lot more data plans.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Much like real estate, carrier functionality and speed depends a lot on location, location, location.

jeremmar

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Will definitely give them (AIO) a try next month. Can you share with us what makes them better than Straight Talk?

1) customer service is a huge difference. ST customer service is horrible, give you the run around etc... I have been able to chat with aio customer service, very quick, very helpful.

2) Price. ST is $45 a month but with tax it turns out for me to be $50 and change, no discount for auto pay.

Aio is $50 a month, but with an auto pay discount it is $45 a month flat, no taxes.

3) Network is the same, and I believe data is the same, 2.5 GB. But ST restricts how you can use your data, only so much a day. And if they throttle you, it is a nightmare. With aio you are free to use your data however you want, no restrictions or daily data allowance.

Let me know if you have any other questions....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for that information. Will definitely make the switch when this months service expires.

Posted via Android Central App

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I'd go AIO as well. AIO customers seem to be quite happy from their comments in this forum. It's been mentioned a couple times that AIO's throttled speeds (once the soft cap is hit) are actually quite functional. Some have even reported that they can still stream music on it.

ptom13

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My brother tried using AIO and they had horrible customer service with him, they took over a month to give him a refund on a phone and the plan he bought for it. They also told him twice that when he sent back the phone that they didn't know where the phone was even though one of their workers signed for the package so it was just a mess. If you don't like the phone/service you get then you might have to fight for your refund.

wx27

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Will definitely give them (AIO) a try next month. Can you share with us what makes them better than Straight Talk?

I just switched from ST to AIO. My two major reasons:
1) I tend to use less than 500MB data per month. AIO has a $40/500MB option that is knocked down to $35 with autopay. If I wanted the equivalent to ST 2.5GB/month(30 days), they offer that for $50->$45 with autopay and taxes are included in that figure. On ST, I had autopay with the $2.50 discount, but after taxes, it was around $47.50/month.
2) ST seems to be aggressive closing off TCP connections and various people with ST service have reported delayed push notifications because of this. There are some apps out there that will shorten up the GCM heartbeat interval to try to get around this issue, but I rather it not be an issue at all, so I've switched to AIO.

AIO is also currently doing a referral promo where both the referrer and referee get a $25 bill credit after 60 days of service. If interested in getting a referral code, I've got some extras -- send me a PM. Code must be received before buying initial service, not just before service activation.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I just got an Aio sim and I'm going to put it in my Nexus 5 on Sunday or Monday. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I just got an Aio sim and I'm going to put it in my Nexus 5 on Sunday or Monday. :)

Awesome. I've tried quite a few except Net 10 and Metro PCS. So far, the most dependable has been Straight Talk's ATT sim. The fastest has been T-Mobile.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Awesome. I've tried quite a few except Net 10 and Metro PCS. So far, the most dependable has been Straight Talk's ATT sim. The fastest has been T-Mobile.

That's what's cool about prepaid, if it isn't great or you want to change you can! I'm hoping Aio works out though. :D

In my area T-Mobile probably aren't too good but I can always try them and see.

Sent from my C5170 via Tapatalk 2

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
1) I tend to use less than 500MB data per month. AIO has a $40/500MB option that is knocked down to $35 with autopay. If I wanted the equivalent to ST 2.5GB/month(30 days), they offer that for $50->$45 with autopay and taxes are included in that figure. On ST, I had autopay with the $2.50 discount, but after taxes, it was around $47.50/month.
2) ST seems to be aggressive closing off TCP connections and various people with ST service have reported delayed push notifications because of this. There are some apps out there that will shorten up the GCM heartbeat interval to try to get around this issue, but I rather it not be an issue at all, so I've switched to AIO.

AIO is also currently doing a referral promo where both the referrer and referee get a $25 bill credit after 60 days of service. If interested in getting a referral code, I've got some extras -- send me a PM. Code must be received before buying initial service, not just before service activation.

This was very informative. I've been using ST for a couple of years now and, for the most part, have been satisfied. There have been occasions where I feel notifications are delayed and I have always blamed my device or kernel. It never occurred to me that perhaps ST was causing it.

Recently I found some guy on Clist selling his att unlimited data plan for about $50. I've been considering it, just hard to justify spending nearly 3X per month what I have been. Maybe I'll look into AIO instead...

I play with my food

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I just activated my Nexus 5 on AIO earlier and my number might still be porting but it's working. Call quality where I am is excellent, I'm happy to discover. Even more clear than Boost Mobile. Crystal clear. They sent a bunch of welcome texts.

They didn't enclose any info on setting up mobile data so I had to Google for it. The APN settings are here,

http://www.aiowireless.com/support/...ice-BYOD/customer/Bring-Your-Own-Android.html

but there's a different site where the picture of the settings is a little better. My data speed is nothing to shout about, only 1.5 MBs down, but it sure beats the 80 Kbs I was lucky if I got on Boost Mobile. So far I'm glad I switched. 😺

patstar5

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I just activated my Nexus 5 on AIO earlier and my number might still be porting but it's working. Call quality where I am is excellent, I'm happy to discover. Even more clear than Boost Mobile. Crystal clear. They sent a bunch of welcome texts.

They didn't enclose any info on setting up mobile data so I had to Google for it. The APN settings are here,

http://www.aiowireless.com/support/...ice-BYOD/customer/Bring-Your-Own-Android.html

but there's a different site where the picture of the settings is a little better. My data speed is nothing to shout about, only 1.5 MBs down, but it sure beats the 80 Kbs I was lucky if I got on Boost Mobile. So far I'm glad I switched. 😺

Can you use mobile hotspot on your nexus 5 or does aio block it? I know you could probably root it and use an app but I am wondering if tethering works on aio with iphone or windows phone.

Last edited:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Can you use mobile hotspot on your nexus 5 or does aio block it? I know you could probably root it and use an app but I am wondering if tethering works on aio with iphone or windows phone.

I don't know, sorry. I haven't tried it and it's not currently an area of interest for me.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

How was the process of porting your Straight Talk number to AIO wireless? This is the only thing stopping me from switching. Back in February they told me that I couldn't port a number from ST to AIO. I know of a process of porting my number to another carrier and then to AIO but I don't feel like going through the hassle.

Nesturr

May 14, 2014
Visit site
The first AT&T MVNO I tried was Net10, which was really good. I was with them for several months before switching to Straight Talk. I switched because I wanted to pay the $45 without auto-refill. I was then with Straight Talk for about a year without any problems. I had decent speeds almost everywhere I went, and never had problems with service being interrupted.

A few weeks ago, Aio opened up in my city and I decided I wanted to try it. I bought a SIM card and activated it. I've been using Aio for a couple weeks now and so far it's excellent. Unlike ST, I can check my data usage with Aio. The biggest complaint with ST was that they throttle you randomly, and there is NO way to check your data usage. I like that with Aio, I can do that. It seems service runs slightly better on Aio. I even get visual voice mail.

I would recommend Aio.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae