Anybody using RingPlus Mobile?

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Does anybody have any experience using RingPlus? From what I can tell they use Sprint's network, but I suspect they use some kind of hybrid Sprint-VOIP model because the prices might be the lowest I've seen. I'm sure the service would be mediocre at best, but I'd be interested if somebody tried it and what their experience was like. Thanks.

veg-o-matic

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I just recently signed on with R+ and I'm happy so far. They do not use a VoIP model, but rather regular cell towers for calls. Call quality so far has been fine. When you make a call, you hear an ad instead of ringing. After about the third call I made, I stopped even hearing the ads, LOL. I just tune them out like music on hold.
I tried FreedomPop (which does use VoIP) but discovered that the call quality wasn't good enough for me to rely on it.
I came to R+ from Virgin Mobile, which I had for years and never really had a major complaint about. At $35/month, it was certainly cheap, but still more than I really needed (300 minutes, unlimited text and data.) With RingPlus, I get 400 minutes, 400 texts, and 500mb of data for $12/month including taxes. I never come close to hitting even these limits, so the R+ plan fits me better.

veg-o-matic

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Are you using one of your old Virgin Mobile phones?

Nope, they don't allow VM phones. I had to get a new one, which was fine with me. I ended up getting a Samsung Galaxy S3 which I love. Got it from Mobile Karma for $170 refurbished, and you can't tell it's not a new phone. On VM I had an HTC EVO 3D which was all right, but I'd had it for over a year so it was time to upgrade:)

rossfuz

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
i been using Ringplus for almost a year. i never been happier with a carrier and i been mobile since 1995. customer service is easy to deal with. prices are great. wifi calling as a backup just in case of no Sprint network. top notch

Wuyi Li

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I have using R+ since 2013. The price is the cheapest in the market. There is 2-3 seconds short time delay when you make or answer a call. Great to try if you have decent Sprint network coverage.

oceansky88

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
Do you have to buy a new phone for ringplus? I check IMEI for my current phone but it keeps showing an error massage that they can't find it in the database.

vicpdx17

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
I actually am using Ring+ with a Sprint Prepaid LG volt that I had on Freedompop before. The phones dying though but Ring+ does work fine on it! Someday soon I will get a Moto E(2nd gen) and swap my volt with the E.

yuppicide

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
For those of you who have RingPlus.. I am a former Sprint customer for 2 years. I have no issues at all with Sprint. A few spots on my route to work get no data connection, but not a big issue.

You guys mention calls are on a slight delay? Do you think it's the same quality as if I was on Sprint itself? If so, I had no issues with my calls on Sprint.

Also, when I make a call it plays an advertisement. I assume that uses data? I don't make many calls, so probably not a big deal.

I just picked up a Nexus 6P and I'm on Google Project FI. I've only had the phone 4 days now and find it hard to believe I already uses 990MB of data. When I was on Sprint for the past 3 months I've used say 2.5GB, 2.3GB, and 1.6GB for the whole month.. with this Project FI I'm on target to use 7GB this month? Especially hard to believe since I don't even have all the apps I previously had. Haven't installed much yet.

I'm thinking of switching already.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I just got RingPlus as a backup. I had a Verizon iPhone 5s that I was just using on Wi-Fi, so I figured I'd give RingPlus a shot since I could use them for "free".

I was kind of disappointed about the plan I got, though. When I bought a SIM card from them, there was a free plan that offered 2000 texts, 2000 minutes, and 1600MB of data with a $25 top-up required. I'd never use the minutes or texts, and 1600MB is plenty as a backup phone, so a one time fee of $40 ($15 for SIM and original $25 top-up) for a backup phone seemed like a no-brainer.

But by the time I got it, that plan wasn't available anymore and I had to settle for 1000 minutes, 1000 texts, and 500MB of data with a $10 top-up. Still good, but I wouldn't have had to worry about data at all. And, even worse, the mail lady didn't deliver my SIM card when she stopped by my house yesterday, and when I was setting up my account today after getting the SIM card, I found out that there was a special plan offered last night for a few hours for 2500 texts/minutes/MB of data for free every month. That would have been absolutely perfect for me!

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Seriously, how do more people not know of and use this? I just upgraded to a plan with 3000 minutes, 2750 texts, and 2750MB (2.69GB) for free every month. That's crazy.

WillowMoon78

May 10, 2016
Visit site
Google's Project Fi sounds like a great plan, for me. I really like that you don't pay for unused data. I also like this (from their website):
"There are lots of Wi-Fi hotspots out there but not all of them are high-quality. Project Fi automatically connects you to more than a million free, open Wi-Fi hotspots we've verified as fast and reliable. This technology helps keep your speed high and your data bill low—whenever you're on Wi-Fi, you're not charged for data usage."​
I'm not particularly tech savvy, but I'm guessing to keep your data low you would have to turn it off so that it connects to wi-fi. Unless you know you are in an area with low or no wi-fi. However what I don't like is that there are only two or three phones to choose from and they, in my opinion, very expensive. There is no way I can afford even a used or refurbished one at this time.

I've been searching for a new cheap, yet efficient, cell plan carrier since Project Fi is out of the question for now.
I don't need anything fancy, or lots of minutes, and it is a temporary type thing until I can get a better phone, as well as get a plan for my plan for my daughter without going over $40 (her plan and mine combined), etc... So I am comparing FreedomPop and RingPlus. From the reviews I've read they both have Horrible Customer Service, and everything has to done online. FreedomPops website seemed confusing to me.
The comments on RingPlus stated that you have to buy one of their phones (I believe), but when people received them they wouldn't work with the network. And customer service is not much help taking a long time to reply to your email.
I Really would prefer a GSM network. As there are far more options to choose from if you decide to switch companies.
I got a plan with GivMobile this past December only to find out in January they were closing and everyone had to find another company as soon as possible! WTF? Why would you continue letting people sign up.
I want to avoid another hot mess that I had with GivMobile. What is your advice?

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I've been searching for a new cheap, yet efficient, cell plan carrier since Project Fi is out of the question for now.
I don't need anything fancy, or lots of minutes, and it is a temporary type thing until I can get a better phone, as well as get a plan for my plan for my daughter without going over $40 (her plan and mine combined), etc... So I am comparing FreedomPop and RingPlus. From the reviews I've read they both have Horrible Customer Service, and everything has to done online. FreedomPops website seemed confusing to me.
The comments on RingPlus stated that you have to buy one of their phones (I believe), but when people received them they wouldn't work with the network. And customer service is not much help taking a long time to reply to your email.
I Really would prefer a GSM network. As there are far more options to choose from if you decide to switch companies.
I got a plan with GivMobile this past December only to find out in January they were closing and everyone had to find another company as soon as possible! WTF? Why would you continue letting people sign up.
I want to avoid another hot mess that I had with GivMobile. What is your advice?

TIA

My advice is RingPlus. No, you don't need to buy a phone from them. You can use any Sprint post-paid phones and a few unlocked phones, including the iPhone, Nexus, and Moto X.

Right now they have a plan that offers 5000 minutes, texts, and MB of data and 200 MMS for free every month, and they give you an additional 500 MB every month for every month you keep the plan up to 10,000 MB. So in 10 months, you can have almost 10GB every month for free. All it costs is $30 one time, but that plan is only available for another hour and a half.

You can't beat that.

agentelrond

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I've been using R+ for a couple of months now and I'm just as happy as I was with Virgin Mobile, which I had used for years. I even get to use my VM phone on R+'s service. It may be because they both use Sprint, but Boost and VM both use Sprint, as well, but you can't use Boost phones with VM and vice versa (to my knowledge).

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I've been using R+ for a couple of months now and I'm just as happy as I was with Virgin Mobile, which I had used for years. I even get to use my VM phone on R+'s service. It may be because they both use Sprint, but Boost and VM both use Sprint, as well, but you can't use Boost phones with VM and vice versa (to my knowledge).

Which plan do you have? I've actually switched to using my RingPlus line as my main line now, and I have Verizon unlimited. I usually just leave my Verizon phone at home with the hotspot on and take my RingPlus phone out when I don't plan on needing tons of data or go somewhere I know won't have great service.

Overall Sprint is pretty good in my area and I'm really enjoying almost 4GB of data for free every month.

mm06905

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I have 2 lines with RingPlus. I was skeptical at first and it seemed a little hard to understand. I did some research and purchased LG Nexus X and the Sprint Sim from ringplus( Came quickly and free shipping). signup for RingPlus emails and go to their web site. Once you find the right plan it is so easy to set up. The first plan I got in was the Chamberlain. My wife is using it and she loves it. I decided to change to RingPlus my self. I purchased Motorola Moto X 32G pure and the Ringplus sim card. I found the plan I liked(Double Bring It Over 2) and I'm loving it while I save big bucks. It is much easier then you may think. I hope this helps.

Niubee43v3r

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I got three lines with RingPlus and fortunately I'm close to metropolitan area where Sprint's coverage is good. So far I have not experienced too many problems and it was actually free (they do charge you "top up" when signing up, but that becomes a balance in your account for overages). It really started to save money when my wife ported out her sprint SERO number entirely two months ago ($35 per month of saving and counting). I would encourage you guys to try it out.

sshankar0207

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I am using ringplus for more than 5 months now for two lines (myself and spouse) and I can say its amazing. Ringplus network quality is as good as sprint, there is no difference either for call quality or for LTE speed, I can say this as I was with Sprint before for 2 years. As far as cost is concerned, its absolutely nothing for both my lines (both of them is like 5000 min call, 5000 text and 5GB LTE data per month), its just one time charge of 30-40$ initially which take up as top up and stays in our account for any overage. I recommend everybody to use ringplus if Sprint netwek is good in your area and cut your mobile bills to absolutely nothing.

Thanks,

miekki

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
I have my whole family (which includes my extended members like my nephews) on RingPlus. I signed up in April 2016 after reading a write-up by Rick Broida on CNET. I've been really impressed with the quality of my calls for a Free Service. Most of the plans range between 3400 to 5000 minutes, texts and data each for each line. We live in an area where the 4G LTE is readily accessible which makes coverage great! When traveling, I do hit some areas with 3G Coverage but have never had no coverage. I think most people who travel experience the same with other carriers as well. I would recommend the service to anyone who REALLY wants to cut their cell bill. RingPlus just launched LIVE promotions yesterday where corporate personnel are On-Site to meet the Community. The first one was held in Los Angeles, CA but there will be many throughout the United States. I think another one is scheduled for Chicago, IL on August 10, 2016. Check it out... I'm glad I did! :)

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I have 2 lines with RingPlus. I was skeptical at first and it seemed a little hard to understand. I did some research and purchased LG Nexus X and the Sprint Sim from ringplus( Came quickly and free shipping). signup for RingPlus emails and go to their web site. Once you find the right plan it is so easy to set up. The first plan I got in was the Chamberlain. My wife is using it and she loves it. I decided to change to RingPlus my self. I purchased Motorola Moto X 32G pure and the Ringplus sim card. I found the plan I liked(Double Bring It Over 2) and I'm loving it while I save big bucks. It is much easier then you may think. I hope this helps.

I'm jealous. I tried to upgrade to that plan the other night, but upgrades "sold out" in less than a minute. I was trying to get the link to my review to get the 500MB bonus and missed out.

Oh well. I still have a line with 4000 MB and another with 2750 MB.

I am using ringplus for more than 5 months now for two lines (myself and spouse) and I can say its amazing. Ringplus network quality is as good as sprint, there is no difference either for call quality or for LTE speed, I can say this as I was with Sprint before for 2 years. As far as cost is concerned, its absolutely nothing for both my lines (both of them is like 5000 min call, 5000 text and 5GB LTE data per month), its just one time charge of 30-40$ initially which take up as top up and stays in our account for any overage. I recommend everybody to use ringplus if Sprint netwek is good in your area and cut your mobile bills to absolutely nothing.

Thanks,

Actually, their voice network is a little worse than Sprint's since they route calls through their servers to insert ads in outgoing calls. It adds a little bit of latency to the call. For me, it's fine. Latency is only at about a second which I can deal with, but some people claim it's more for them and unbearable.