Thanks androidcentral!

glazedfaith

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Well, it's been a long 9 months.

As promised in THIS POST, I received a Nexus 7 tablet less than a week later. Regrettably, I didn't think of publicly thanking the folks at androidcentral at the time. Now, ~9 months later, the second part of the promise has been fulfilled! Sure, I just moved, so I had to wait to get it from my wife's parents house. Ok, yeah, Frontier Communications sucks, and were 4 days late fixing my DSL install. Of course, their crappy router gave me unending hell when trying to connect wirelessly. So this is about a week late, but finally:

BEHOLD!

4ADulzih.jpg

95hB0Bgh.jpg

xuiDwNCh.jpg

ukx8qynh.jpg

3pkir4kh.jpg

aZBeGBXh.jpg

Now the real question is...what do I do now? Anybody gotten an OUYA yet? Any suggestions?

Anyway, thanks again to Phil, Jerry, and Michelle, and to everyone else at androidcentral.com :-*

I couldn't have done this without you guys!

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Now you go to the store and download a few games and try them out, or start to tinker and look at all the other functionality you can potentially do with it.

You can side load apps fairly easy if you just use the browser and download the APK from the internet.

I have had my OUYA for about a month now, and It is interesting looking at the wide range of potential uses for it. I have used it to play back content from my Home Server with Plex, and to play a few games.

It still isn't as polished as it needs to be, but it isn't bad either. My biggest gripe is that I am not sure if this is much better then a good Mini-PC with JB 4.2 with a decent bluetooth controller. That is mainly becuase of the lack of Play Store access

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
... Now the real question is...what do I do now? Anybody gotten an OUYA yet? Any suggestions? ...

Obviously you have to root it and flash cyanogenMod!!!!11!!1!!1one!!1!1eleven

Ok, I'm joking (kinda). I guess you should get some games (Ouya has their own game store right?) and start playing. Then keep sharing all the details with us.

Sh3ngLong

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Congrats! Let us know how you like it. I tried it at E3 a few weeks ago and thought it had pretty bad latency, but maybe it was just that particular unit I was using.

glazedfaith

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Well, so far, I've been able to do very little, not due the issues with the console, but due to issues with my internet connection. I played a few demos and, not surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be a lot you can do for free. Most of the games I have played are extremely limited demos, either limited in content or functionality, but I guess the devs have to make money, so that makes sense.

As far as "unsupported" uses, so far all I have done is install an HBO GO .apk someone posted on the OUYA Google+. Initially, it was nearly impossible to use since the app is obviously not designed for use with a controller, but thanks to an app called "Blue Board" I was able to use my phone as a bluetooth keyboard, adding some richness to the navigation combined with the touchpad on the controller.

A word to the wise: To use Blue Board, you have to download an app on your phone or tablet from Google Play AND an Ouya app of the same name using the Discover menu. The Ouya app might have been a no-brainer, but since it wasn't mentioned in any of the instructions I found at first, I racked my brain and wrung my hands in frustration. Don't do what I did...download both parts.

We browsing on Ouya is painful even with blueboard. I haven't found any sensible way to scroll other than the joystick which seems to jump from one link to another, and that takes me back to horrible days using the internet on a hot pink Samsung Flip phone (don't ask).

Still waiting on the Official AndroidCentral App ("Now With Ouya Controller Support") promised nowhere by nobody in particular.

That's about all I've had a chance to do so far, but I'll keep this thread updated with my progress.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried using the touchpad to do the scrolling in the browser.

I really want to see support for external storage. I have a 1TB USB drive I really want to connect to it.