For $350.. anyone actually interested in this new Palm device?

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I'll have to look into this. I hadn't even heard of it til your post above. Sounds different so I'm interested in learning about it. buying it, that's another story.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't think I could use a phone that small. I'd probably have issues using the keyboard on a 3.3 inch screen. Looks like a phone made for kids.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
From the AC article linked in the first post:
This new phone is simply referred to as "Palm" and is designed to be a new type of phone that lives alongside your main smartphone.
Or as my wife put it, "So your regular phone's biological clock is ticking, and it needs its own baby phone?"

bassoprofundo

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I want this... Not just for my Palm nostalgia, but there are definite times when a Note 9 isn't portable enough. If I could have a second device that's smaller like this AND keeps the same number, I'd be all over it. Unfortunately, I'm tied to AT&T, and the price is a definite no-go.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I'd probably have issues using the keyboard on a 3.3 inch screen.

Of course you'd have issues with the keyboard, that's partly why it's such a fail!
A "phone" that size absolutely needs a physical keyboard (they could have made it a slider like the Palm Pre).

Who wants to peck at tiny a** glass keys??

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Nah. It's waterproof and a great size to take running and for exercising etc but for everything else it's just pretty sh**t tbh. For that money I could buy a Wear OS smart watch with cellualar connectivity to do the same job.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Nah. It's waterproof

No, just water resistant. And unless they warranty against water damage (unheard of from any smartphone manufacturer I'm aware of), I wouldn't trust it in water. Water resistance isn't a free pass at taking it underwater.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
No, just water resistant. And unless they warranty against water damage (unheard of from any smartphone manufacturer I'm aware of), I wouldn't trust it in water. Water resistance isn't a free pass at taking it underwater.

Yeah that's what I meant. I do know the difference. My Mate 10 Pro is water IP67 but I'd never intentionally dunk it. It's an insurance policy for me in case it falls in water or gets wet in the rain. Same as I meant for the Palm

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
yes. for out on the bike, it beats my burner phones and is cheaper / month. and I can use it other times as it has my primary number. good job.

mrgrtt123

Nov 26, 2018
Visit site
Am I the only one who's not aware that such smartphone device exist?
I find it cute, but I don't think that I will invest in getting that mobile device but my Granny will surely love it since she prefers something with a keypad.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only one who's not aware that such smartphone device exist?
I find it cute, but I don't think that I will invest in getting that mobile device but my Granny will surely love it since she prefers something with a keypad.

Everyone on this forum is mostly aware but also most don't care. And the keypad is virtual for granny not physical. Those virtual keys are tiny at best.
Furthermore Granny will need her own number and a second phone to piggback off of.

fatclue_98

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I think the idea behind this device is great. It's more functional than a smartwatch and that's how it needs to be viewed. It's a companion piece so that you can do the kinds of things you'd never do if you had to bring your phablet along. Fishing, waterskiing, a quick pick-up game at the Y - the kinds of things that result in a trip to ubreakifix. Now, the battery life and lack of NFC for payments is inexcusable as is the price. As for the keyboard, I guess all of you were sporting BlackBerrys back in the day because prior to the iPhone's enormous 3.5" screen we were all tapping on 2.8" screens on our HTC Touch Pros. My, how soon we forget.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34