You can get an unlocked Palm new for $80

Norad2000x

Oct 27, 2019
Visit site
Search eBay for a PVG-100 and you'll find "open box" ones for ~$80 shipped. These are pretty much new phones that were theoretically locked to be sold at Verizon as a companion phone. In reality, they work perfectly fine unlocked.

I've had one for over a month now. It has the Verizon boot-up screen, but you can pull the SIM tray out and put whatever card you want to use it on any network. I'm currently using it as the primary phone on the Verizon network...something that was theoretically "impossible" with this model. Works fine for me!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
An 800mAh battery? It's cute, but not worth having in my pocket if it only lasts a few hours. (Available from Amazon for $69.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
An 800mAh battery? It's cute, but not worth having in my pocket if it only lasts a few hours. (Available from Amazon for $69.)

You have to remember, though, that it's not intended to be the phone you carry for the whole day. They designed it to be your main phone's "extension" to take on short errands, if you don't want lug around your giant phablet (e.g., to the gym).

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Hmm interesting. When I checked out this tiny Palm phone a few months ago at a Verizon store, I was a bit fascinated by it. But then the fascination passed.

Norad2000x

Oct 27, 2019
Visit site
It is totally real cute! :)
The batteries last about two days for me. That's cause I mainly use it as a phone only. The small battery works great in keeping me away from mindless consumption!

But, I did come from the era of non-smartphones (80s baby). The Palm has unacceptable battery, if you have developed the modern smartphone habit.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You have to remember, though, that it's not intended to be the phone you carry for the whole day. They designed it to be your main phone's "extension" to take on short errands, if you don't want lug around your giant phablet (e.g., to the gym).
Possibly a great alternative for someone not really into smart devices that just needs a phone, yet still has smart capabilities.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Possibly a great alternative for someone not really into smart devices that just needs a phone, yet still has smart capabilities.

Exactly. Considering the increasing availability of snazzed-up "dumbphones" for people who are trying to buck smartphone addiction, this might end up finding new life.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I was tempted to buy the thing at a local Verizon store awhile back. At first I was shocked by the $350 price tag of the device. But having to pay an additional $10 for monthly service to Verizon for "adding an extra line" was a turn off. Does Verizon still require an additional monthly payment for having this phone? Or can you just say buy it and use it on wifi only with no cellular activation?

77Forever

Nov 5, 2019
Visit site
You can actually use it as a stand-alone phone. As has been said, mostly for people who don’t use phone for constant consumption. I’ve been using one for a few weeks as my primary phone. Battery life is short, but it is awesomely small. I wish we could get some decent small phones. The Palm is a tad too small, but works.

Nguyen1

Aug 23, 2020
Visit site
Exactly. Considering the increasing availability of snazzed-up "dumbphones" for people who are trying to buck smartphone addiction, this might end up finding new life.

I’ve been using the Palm phone on / off since last summer. My needs are minimal - phone, some texts, that’s it. My only real app is Kindle for e-reading. I disabled Google, put on Life Mode, and the phone lasts me 2-3 days easy. Charging only takes an hour, so it’s fast.

There is a mophie case available for extra battery life, but I don’t need it.
I would say this isn’t the phone for most folks, but it’s cheap now and if one have minimal needs, it is worth a look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888