Let's be honest, as soon as a smartphone hits the shelf, it's already obsolete. There are many marketing tools that make us think we have the newest and greatest phone. But, if you take a look at the specs on phones, their basically the same. Even the new Droid Bionic, and all its glory is simply a supped up Galaxy S2. But thanks to marketing, it's supposedly the baddest boy on the street. Verizon didn't even want the S2 because it won't compete with the I5, but they had to give us something; a taste of what is to come...Hence the Droid Bionic.

With the Bionic blasting off the shelves, there still lurks a monster waiting. Waiting to destroy the competition easily for the last and possibly for the first of 2012. His name is Droid Prime. Even though the specs are "rumors", I still think their fairly accurate. And if they are, The Iphone 5 better have something special up its sleeve if it wants to compete with this monster. Nexus/Driod Prime supports the newest Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" a truly impressive, but speculated 1.2-1.5 Ghz processor, and a stunning 720p super amoled screen, 1gb of RAM, and of course 4g lte. I'm thinking Google and Nexus truly made a phone that will be the platform for other phones. It's going to be a beautiful thing opening up that box for the first time! Dream on Apple....Dream on

Comments, critics, and praises are welcome!
    09-12-2011 02:55 PM
    In theory, with those specs. The same kinda happened with the bionic as well. I jumped on it, got it, and am returning it. I am really hoping the prime will be a beast of a phone.
    09-12-2011 03:02 PM
    I'm psyched for the Prime, no doubt. Apple won't compete on specs. That is for sure. They compete on integration, though. I expect some super new music/video service to go with iOS 5. I am going with the Prime, for sure, but Apple won't lay an egg. Even if iOS 5 is a bit of a let down, millions of people will gladly scoop it up. Mindshare.
    09-12-2011 03:15 PM
    If it has LTE, you can pretty much be assured of mediocre (at best) battery life, unless Samsung or someone has developed a second generation LTE chip, which I doubt.

I wish Krait started sampling last February so it'd be ready for Nexus Prime around now.

I'm on a Thunderbolt and will only switch to another LTE phone. I may get the Prime if it's true vanilla Android, if only for the Google updates.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    09-12-2011 03:58 PM
    Let's be honest, as soon as a smartphone hits the shelf, it's already obsolete. There are many marketing tools that make us think we have the newest and greatest phone. But, if you take a look at the specs on phones, their basically the same. Even the new Droid Bionic, and all its glory is simply a supped up Galaxy S2. But thanks to marketing, it's supposedly the baddest boy on the street. Verizon didn't even want the S2 because it won't compete with the I5, but they had to give us something; a taste of what is to come...Hence the Droid Bionic.

With the Bionic blasting off the shelves, there still lurks a monster waiting. Waiting to destroy the competition easily for the last and possibly for the first of 2012. His name is Droid Prime. Even though the specs are "rumors", I still think their fairly accurate. And if they are, The Iphone 5 better have something special up its sleeve if it wants to compete with this monster. Nexus/Driod Prime supports the newest Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" a truly impressive, but speculated 1.2-1.5 Ghz processor, and a stunning 720p super amoled screen, 1gb of RAM, and of course 4g lte. I'm thinking Google and Nexus truly made a phone that will be the platform for other phones. It's going to be a beautiful thing opening up that box for the first time! Dream on Apple....Dream on

Comments, critics, and praises are welcome!
    In my opinion the Galaxy S2 set the bar - and one the Bionic fell short of at that. The only thing the Bionic has going for it over the GS2 is LTE, and that will be short-lived until the LTE variant of the GS2 is out.

Samsung really seems to have gotten it right with the GS2, and assuming the Prime is a beefed up version of the GS2, I think it will be very impressive.

The next era of phones will begin when 2nd gen LTE radios start being used, coupled with more power efficient chips like the Krait line will offer. Right now dual-core is great and all, but it's just one more thing to drain the battery.
    09-12-2011 04:27 PM
    Interesting you mention about the Krait processor. I haven't seen anything about it. I'll have to do my research. Is that a quad core processor? I too agree with you about the LTE 2nd gen. chip. Battery life on newer phones is absurd. It's great we have such fast phones with lighting speed downloads, but who cares if you can only use your phone for 2 hours. I know that the batteries are getting bigger with standard 1650 mhrz and I even saw a 1725-1750 on something?...My problem is, how come the technology in cell phones is so outstanding, but it doesn't seem like much is going on with batteries. If a company could make a 2nd gen battery that could actually keep you up and running with a heavy usage all day, I wouldn't care if the phone had Android 2.1,2.3, or 4.0! Give me a damn dual core processor and that future battery and I'll call it a night.
    tony bag o donuts likes this.
    09-12-2011 10:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD