Time to leave iOS?

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
I've had the iPhone 3G and iPhone 4, and it's upgrade time again. I've liked iOS because it's smooth, and everything just works. Is it worth ditching the iPhone 5 to try something new? I'm on AT&T, but I don't know where to start. I've tried playing with the Skyrocket, and while it was nice, I didn't see what besides the screen would really be different. What's so great about Android that I should stop waiting for iPhone 5?
Well first off, you can get 4G LTE on VZW. Depending on where you live, that is.

Check out the Rezound at VZW. It works out of the box AND it is 4G LTE!

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I'd rather stick with AT&T because I've been tied up in a family account there so long, but I did get LTE speeds at the store. How is the battery life on these LTE devices? Between 4G and those awesome screens, my little i4 feels a little out-dated. :p

I'm in the same boat as you. Check out the HTC Vivid, at AT&T. It's the one that i'll be getting very soon!:)

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I just got sick of ios and apple. Their os is just to simple for my tastes. It takes little thought to run and navigate it. Plus i like to customize my phone to my liking. Make my phone work for me rather then working around what my phone can do.

Its to each his own really. I myself will not be going back to ios at all in the near future.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I just got sick of ios and apple. Their os is just to simple for my tastes. It takes little thought to run and navigate it. Plus i like to customize my phone to my liking. Make my phone work for me rather then working around what my phone can do.

Its to each his own really. I myself will not be going back to ios at all in the near future.

+1. I totally agree with your post!:D

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Haha, glad I'm not the only person looking outside the walled garden! The Vivid looks nice too, but I'm still intrigued by the Syrocket. I'm hoping someone can explain to me why I'll never look back though. I just feel a little unsure as to whether or not I'll feel let down when the iPhone 5 comes out.. I might also wait to see MWC's latest phones.

Skyrocket is a sweet phone, but no LED light for notifications. I missed that feature on my iPhone4.:)

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I know this is an Android forum, and I am very happy with my Droid, but... Are you looking merely because you want to see what else there is, or are you having any issues with the iPhone? Bear in mind that if you switch platforms, you will likely have to purchase all your apps again. And if you also bought into buying music from iTunes, you will need an iPod to listen to those items as iTunes-bought music is incompatible with, well, practically everything else.

ctc799

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
It's beginning to lose its battery endurance after so long, and overall it's starting to slow down (probably because I jailbroke it for a feature or two :p). I wanted to get the iPhone "5" but now with the 4S I don't feel like waiting when I could get something powerful now. My music library is mainly over Amazon, and I usually don't make too many App purchases, so I think the switch would be easy.

I just want to know what would be so much better if I stopped being an iServant, I suppose.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I know this is an Android forum, and I am very happy with my Droid, but... Are you looking merely because you want to see what else there is, or are you having any issues with the iPhone? Bear in mind that if you switch platforms, you will likely have to purchase all your apps again. And if you also bought into buying music from iTunes, you will need an iPod to listen to those items as iTunes-bought music is incompatible with, well, practically everything else.

If you're addressing this post to me, it doesn't apply. All my apps on my iPhone are FREE, and i've found the same ones in Android Market, also for FREE. All my music in iTunes is my own, and it's all been downloaded to Music Manager, just waiting for my new phone. All my photos in iPhoto have been put into folders, and are in my DropBox, waiting to be switched over to the new phone. I'm ready to rock and roll, as soon as i bring the phone home. It's all good!:D

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
It's beginning to lose its battery endurance after so long, and overall it's starting to slow down (probably because I jailbroke it for a feature or two :p). I wanted to get the iPhone "5" but now with the 4S I don't feel like waiting when I could get something powerful now. My music library is mainly over Amazon, and I usually don't make too many App purchases, so I think the switch would be easy.

I just want to know what would be so much better if I stopped being an iServant, I suppose.
In that case, it's simply a matter of deciding what style you want. I'm liking my Verizon Droid X, so if I were on AT&T, I'd be apt to go for the Atrix 2. Or maybe the HTC Vivid or LG Nitro. I have a personal grudge against Samsung so no matter how good the Galaxy is, I'll never buy one. On Verizon, my top choices would be the Bionic or Razr / Razr Maxx. I'm not fond of the physical keyboards on smartphones, which is the only reason why I'm not that interested in the Droid 3 or 4.

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I swear I am the only person on this planet that loves both OS. Sheesh.
I did not jump to Android to get rid of an iPhone, I did it to get rid of a Blackberry. And I got the Blackberry to get rid of AT&T. If Verizon had the iPhone ~2 years ago, I'd still be using one.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
In that case, it's simply a matter of deciding what style you want. I'm liking my Verizon Droid X, so if I were on AT&T, I'd be apt to go for the Atrix 2. Or maybe the HTC Vivid or LG Nitro. I have a personal grudge against Samsung so no matter how good the Galaxy is, I'll never buy one. On Verizon, my top choices would be the Bionic or Razr / Razr Maxx. I'm not fond of the physical keyboards on smartphones, which is the only reason why I'm not that interested in the Droid 3 or 4.

Cool. I am with AT&T, and i will be getting an HTC Vivid. No grudge against Samsung, i just think that the Vivid is a better phone. I also like the LED notification light( which i missed since my BB days ), and the Skyrocket doesn't have one. Big mistake on Samsung's part.:)

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I love iOS, but I'm getting tired of waiting for Apple to get the hardware I want. My main concern with leaving iOS is the differences in OS. Android has an advantage in hardware, but what about software?

Thanks for your input everyone, I'm just trying to see if I'd be happier if I stopped waiting for this mythical new iPhone. :cool:

The new iPhone(whatever it will be called), should be out in November or the beginning of December. It still won't have the customizations that Androids had last year. Most things that Apple does are solid, but with their phones, it's at a snail's pace.:)

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
How customizable is Android, exactly? Like if I don't like the way an icon looks or if I want it outside of the App tray, I can do things like that?

You can change where the icons/apps are layed out on the phone. Have access to some awsome widgets, change the home launcher to give it a different ui feel. Wallpapers, the lockscreen to your ringtone and notification tones you can download and customize straight from the device.

All without having to root your phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol