My first android phone - switching from an iphone 4 - please help me choose!

crl95

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I currently have an iphone 4 on verizon. I have an upgrade in january and was hoping to get some opinions on what android phone to get from people who know more than me from my research. I really want a phone that will have a lot of developer support so I was really hoping for a nexus 4 but that wont happen. Now I am stuck between an galaxy s3 or the galaxy nexus unless something comes out before january. I want to be able to mess around with cyanogen mod AOKP or whatever else is out there and im not sure how easy that is on a s3. Thanks in advanced for any advice!

crl95

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
You would have to root the phone to do that, which is not all that hard and plenty of people are on here to help, also there is a thread that has been stickied to help with this... not sure which carrier you have, but here is the link for verizon version so you can check it out.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...ck-bootloader-verizon-galaxy-s3-sch-i535.html

I appreciate your response but did you even read my post? I stated I have verizon and that I want a phone that can easily be rooted. I was asking for advise on what phone to get not how to root.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate your response but did you even read my post? I stated I have verizon and that I want a phone that can easily be rooted. I was asking for advise on what phone to get not how to root.

Actually that did answer your question but maybe not clear enough. To mess with Aosp and the like, you will have to root first with the sgs3. Then add a recovery, then Aosp.

The process takes about 15 minutes or so. It is not hard and no big deal.

With the gnex, you do not have to do that since you are already halfway there. I am not sure of the procedure, but my belief is that it is a bit easier than the sgs.

What you have to do is decide which is the better phone to start with. I believe it is the sgs, for several reasons, but it is your call.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Mr.Mcgoo

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Since you're upgrade is not til January then there should be a few more phones out to even make your choice more difficult. I currently have a 4s (verizon) which is going to my son who cracked my old Dinc that he was using. So it's back to android for me but in the same boat of what to buy. Leaning towards SG3, thought about the GN2 but its big, and of course you have the razr hd line. Htc DNA coming soon and who knows what else will sneak out... I should just pick up the SG3 but stuck in the same loop as most of us get in what else is coming.

Yea I rambled but you will go through the same thing even in January and the SG3 will still be at the top with a few others...

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Right now, if you think the note is to big, you have 3 choices. The maxx hd, the sgs3, and the DNA. Sucks to be me since I am off to sprint...

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Oh and I left the Nexus 4 off that list on purpose. Not just because it isn't on verizon right now.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Truth be told vzw is the only carrier that has kinda better phones than sprint everybody else nahhh lol

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I have not done a ton of research on their phone lineup, I just figure when I go to sprint I will stick with the sgs3.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm on vzw and would heartily recommend the moto razr series. Currently the razr maxx with amazing battery life is $69 w/ upgrade, by Jan it may be free. If you want most up to date tech the razrM/razr hd/maxxhd are $69/149/199 at amazon wireless. I am ocd when it comes to researching stuff, imho for the money I would check out the razr maxx or razr maxx hd (of course as always ymmv). My 2 cents.

gtbarry

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
You don't have to upgrade immediately. You will be month to month with your old phone.

Wait and see what is announced at CES in January and later at Mobile World Congress in February. While many of those devices will not be available for some time, you may find one coming out soon that you would want to wait for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith