moto x vs note 3

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I have owned and used both the moto x and note 3. Tomorrow is my last day of the 14 day return policy at AT&T and I have to keep one of these two phones.
Can you moto x owners tell me why you personally like the moto x over something like the Note 3 or G2 etc.
Both are great phones. I know that some may have went moto simply because they hate touch wiz. I don't hate touch wiz nor do I looooove touch wiz. I can take it or leave it, so touchwiz or no touchwiz isn't my deciding factor.
Positives:
Note 3 screen is amazing! and very High resale value are the only reasons I am leaning toward the Note 3.
'Stock' android, Touchless controls, active display, always listening, and the LOUD speaker are reasons I like the X.

Negatives:

Note 3: touchwiz, though I don't dislike it, changes the OS dramatically from stock. Its almost as if samsung and google are fighting on the same phone.
4.4 could be a year from now.

Moto x: very low resale value, screen color isn't as accurate as Note 3...
4.7" is almost too small (prefer 5" +) Camera isn't as good as note 3.

ugh. I can't make my brain convince me one is better than the other. Help?
I posted a similar thread a while back, got zero responses.. not sure why, if I titled this moto x vs iphone I'd get 8000 responses..

(p.s.) I posted this here because some samsung owners are samsung fanboys that are worse than iPhone fanboys. ;p

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
They're both great phones. Just depends on what you're looking for.

In terms of features, which ones are more useful to you? Are Active Display, Touchless Control, etc more useful to you than the various S-pen and TW features or vice versa?

The gigantic screen on the Note is very nice but it also makes it less ergonomically comfortable imo. Also, for what purposes are you using the camera? If you absolutely need very high quality pics, then maybe the Moto X isn't for you. If just "good" pics will suffice then it's fine.

It basically boils down to what you prioritize in a phone. I like the overall user experience of the Moto X and find it's extra features very useful while I probably wouldn't use 90% of the ones on the Note 3. I know I didn't use any of them on my S3.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think the Note 3 is a great phone. I love the screen, its great in all aspects. The S-Pen is fantastic and I think it is an excellent implementation of a stylus. Touchwiz is Touchwiz, for better or worse. I think the Note 3 is one of the best Android phones money can buy (and it certainly takes a lot of money to buy it). I very much want a Note 3.

All that said, I just used my upgrade on a Moto X and price was not the main reason. Active notifications (though with the flip view cover, the Note 3 has something similar), trusted bluetooth devices, and always listening are features that cannot be beat. The only time you'll miss the Note 3's screen is when you have them side by side. Without the Note next to it as a constant reminder, the X's screen won't seem bad at all. However, with the Note, every time you need to make a phone call while driving, you'll remember how much safer it would be if you didn't even need to touch or look at your phone at all.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
The problem with this direct comparison is that both phones are just so different from each other. A comparison between the Moto X and iPhone is more reasonable because better direct comparisons can be made, which is probably why you would receive more responses for a thread like that.

The Note 3 is the ultimate multi-tasking phone. The S-Pen, the split screen abilities, and all of the additional features make it great for productivity. And as you stated, it has the "better", bigger screen, statistically. You also get the removable battery an SD card slot that many people seem to crave.

The Moto X is essentially in a different category. Its a phone that does a lot of things well, and has some additional key features that add to its functionality as a pocket companion. These are features that not only can't be found on other devices, but can't even be replicated adequately with 3rd party apps. Its more portable and unobtrusive. But it is not a multi-tasking productivity powerhouse of a phone.

So as stated in the comment above, it depends on what you're looking for. The phones have very different abilities, with very little overlap. If you know what kind of things you want to be able to do with your phone, this decision should be fairly easy for you... Personally, the features of the Moto X suited my needs. I wanted the Touchless Control feature, and determined that I didn't need a "productivity" phone, so I am pleased with that decision.

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I considered going for a Note 2 or 3. If I did not have a tablet already I may have gone for one. It is better in the specs and range of usefulness that it can deliver on. Huge battery to boot. It is a huge phone for my tastes. If you want a phablet, it is the one to go for. If I did buy one, I could install pure android on it. Size wise it would make sense to get this over the s4

Now, The Moto X is stock android, feels better in hand, active notifications, and Touchless control is what makes it different. It is not a specked out machine, but what it does it does well. For me, the size is just right. I prefer smaller phones. The whole assembled in America also is nice touch.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
For me its size. Both are good phones. But I don't a giant phone with a stylus.

Posted via Android Central App

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for your thoughts. I know I am comparing two phones intended for two opposite uses.

I DO find the moto x features more useful.
I agree Clankfu, the camera of the moto x is good enough.

jdevenberg:
However, with the Note, every time you need to make a phone call while driving, you'll remember how much safer it would be if you didn't even need to touch or look at your phone at all.
This hits home. I drive 15 miles each way to work, half of it 75 mph interstate travel.

Appreciate the non-biased views. Even owning the moto x you guys are giving credit to the note being a good phone.
I don't really need the productivity or s-pen parts of the Note, nor do I use 90% of its overload of features. I don't even use the dual screen thing.
I think scrapbook is pretty damn cool but its really a bit of a gimmick for me, not a tool that I need day to day.
I do love all the goodies about the moto mentioned in your posts.

Tysonsaurus

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a note 3 and my girl just got the X. I would own a X if the screen was a Lil bigger and because like others have said the awesome features. The only reasons I have the note 3 are cause of the screen, battery, and the s pen. If the X has more/better features that you would use I would go with that. I would love to have the moto assist for my 40min drive to work.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I could never do a phone the size of the note. Anadtech numbers put the 3 at beastly capabilities but even then.. you still get Touchwiz and that darned flat screen TV for a screen haha

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I switched from the Note 2, which is basically the same size as the N3, to the Moto x. I liked the phone overall but the size got to me after a few months. I mean at home its great when your viewing videos or reading text but out it was a pain sometimes just to remove it from my pocket. I did drop it a few times cause my hands aren't the biggest. The features were cool at first but I found myself not using most as time went by. Plus with so much bloatware and goodies Samsung packs into these phones,you're going to get hiccups and my N2 has slowed dramatically over time. The Moto x has really impressed me the short time I've had it with its usefull features especially while driving. I am blown away by the smoothness compared to the Note and really think this phone innovated with the X8 system. Instead of putting more and more power to cram as many of features as possible, the X uses a well thought out plan of real world needs and implement s them to a tee. Also its a good feeling that the newest software is released basically the same time as the Nexus. It seems to me that Moto/Google hit a home run IMO.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I had them both. I would say they are way to different. There is nothing similar between them. It's like comparing a mac with a crv. Do you need to run two apps? Do you take lots of notes? Do you use your phone all day? Or does it lay in your pocket most of the time? Do you just need a little device for here and there? Do you like to talk to your phone? Do you enjoy not having to press a button? Silly questions, but answering some of those should help you decide because the Moto X is not even close to a note 3 in terms of utility. And the note 3 is not even close to the X in terms of pocket ability.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all for your thoughts. I know I am comparing two phones intended for two opposite uses.

I DO find the moto x features more useful.
I agree Clankfu, the camera of the moto x is good enough.

jdevenberg:

This hits home. I drive 15 miles each way to work, half of it 75 mph interstate travel.

yeah, I do 40 miles each way on the highway over mountains that are snowy in the winter and full of distracted tourists in the summer (I work im the middle of a state forest). I put about 18,000 miles a year on my car. How a phone handles hands free matters to me. A lot. It is the main reason I've left the HTC One and chose a Moto X over a Note 3 or Nexus 5.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I'd like a Note 3, but haven't had one. However you're going to get a good phone no matter which you choose. I did find the G2 to be a mess in terms of it's user interface - the skin used on Android. It's, well, awful. Cluttered, busy and overcomplicated. It was also not smooth - you'd think with all those horses under the hood, it would be. The Moto is smoother. The Moto X UI is very clean and easy to deal with. I never had any problem with Touchwiz, but then I always put a launcher on my phones - even the Moto X. I'd like the additional screen real estate of the N3, but I'm not willing to pay the price of the larger phone, so until the laws pf physics get suspended I will just stick with a smaller phone.

In all, I think the Moto X strikes a great balance.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
One can always split the difference between the Moto x and note 3 with the droid Maxx. My wife has the note 3, I have the Maxx and have tried the x. All the goodies of x with a larger screen and bigger battery. Not as large as a note 3. Of course you have to be on Verizon to really use the droid Maxx.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Ok guys. After really thinking about everything, I made a choice.
I LOVE the screen on the Note 3. It's also fast and lag free. As many of you pointed out, what features do I find more important?
moto x or note 3 they both have a great list of features.
However, as much as I love the Note 3, the hands free while driving and over all form-factor (comfort using on handed) I have chosen the Moto x.

I went to best buy since no one ever offers to help you and that gave me some one on one time with the moto x and my Note 3 side by side.
The screen on the Note 3 beats the moto x for color and brightness and I found that 99% of my love for the note 3 was the screen.
Touchwiz isn't bad, but the pure android goodness / simplicity, in the end, just makes for a better experience overall.

After leaving bestbuy an hour later, I experimented with using the Note 3 while poking around the parking lot while driving. I found it difficult for certain things.
I am home with a Black moto x and have 4.4 installed and I am happy with my choice.

I want to thank each of you for taking time to help me with the decision. Hands free and safety won me over.

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Ok guys. After really thinking about everything, I made a choice.
I LOVE the screen on the Note 3. It's also fast and lag free. As many of you pointed out, what features do I find more important?
moto x or note 3 they both have a great list of features.
However, as much as I love the Note 3, the hands free while driving and over all form-factor (comfort using on handed) I have chosen the Moto x.

I went to best buy since no one ever offers to help you and that gave me some one on one time with the moto x and my Note 3 side by side.
The screen on the Note 3 beats the moto x for color and brightness and I found that 99% of my love for the note 3 was the screen.
Touchwiz isn't bad, but the pure android goodness / simplicity, in the end, just makes for a better experience overall.

After leaving bestbuy an hour later, I experimented with using the Note 3 while poking around the parking lot while driving. I found it difficult for certain things.
I am home with a Black moto x and have 4.4 installed and I am happy with my choice.

I want to thank each of you for taking time to help me with the decision. Hands free and safety won me over.

For driving, the Moto X is very driver friendly. You can virtually use it to make calls, send texts, look up directions, look up phone numbers and call them on the fly without even taking your hands off the wheel (you may need to confirm the text and send it). The Note 3 only advantage would be the larger size which make it easier for navigation and seeing the screen.

For example in one day I used Touchless control in the following situations. I had used the Moto x to look up a hardscape company down in the cape, get directions and get me there. Then I called on the way back to the summer house and ordered a pizza. Then I had to meet up with my cousin's husband and head to Game 1 of the ALSC. I set the navigation to the South Shore Plaza, timed my time there. He texted me and the Moto X read the text to me and I responded back via text as well. Again, in all these situations I used Touchless control and one had to press confirm on the screen a couple of times.

Moto X is a wise choice. Enjoy it.

bryantest

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm not really convinced why this is a fair comparison to be begin with considering these two phones are obviously in different categories so...

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I think the moto x opened a big door for touchless controls and it's future. Hopefully Google can integrate touchless controls as a hidden process whenever Google maps or waze is launched; a hidden process that allows texting, calling, making reminders, making notes, or searching the web without disrupting gps navigation. I believe this can be done without low-powered cores because in normal circumstances people plug their phone in the car while gpsing.