Moto G: Motorola Moto G vs. Nokia Lumia 520

duoFurious

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I apologize, I was more talking about the people saying the 520 was lagging and crashing. I've used over 15 Windows Phones to date, 9 of them being WP8 devices ad have used them pretty heavily. Never once have I seen an absolute phone crash and less than 10 times have I seen an app shut itself down. The app gap is certainly bad on the smaller businesses scale. For instance, I use a bank that only encompasses about 6 cities. If I hadn't made the app for them, we never would've gotten that unless we have some sudden burst in users.

i certainly wouldn't call the camera a wash though, Nokia has proven time and time again that they're constantly ahead of the curve in camera software.

Oh, as far as Google services go, blame Google. I wouldn't touch their services with a ten foot pole as I feel that they've proven to be much more evil and deserving of an anti-trust suit than Microsoft ever was in the early nineties.

Oh ok. Well I agree with you that Nokia has done cameras right. I'm just saying that with 5mp or so cameras there is only so much you can do. And as far as Google services I see your point but the same could be said about Microsoft mail as well, just not as publicized. I mean Google is the one who has to fight the government asking to see everyone's info all the time. I could be wrong but I think Google is one of the company's fighting it. They only do so for ads that you aren't seeing a woman's product ad when your a guy for an obvious example. They don't save that type of stuff or sell it to third parties.
However I do agree that it's preferences that guide me to Google personally but I utilize all the offer. And I do love cheap Nokia phones. Truly I desire completion of the big 4, Google, Apple, Microsoft, BlackBerry. I wish apps were universally available and the platforms themselves were what was the decision. Then we would see true innovation. Not the app gap excuse or proprietary development (apple) creating a "superior" like attitude.

Sent from a G2

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh ok. Well I agree with you that Nokia has done cameras right. I'm just saying that with 5mp or so cameras there is only so much you can do. And as far as Google services I see your point but the same could be said about Microsoft mail as well, just not as publicized. I mean Google is the one who has to fight the government asking to see everyone's info all the time. I could be wrong but I think Google is one of the company's fighting it. They only do so for ads that you aren't seeing a woman's product ad when your a guy for an obvious example. They don't save that type of stuff or sell it to third parties.
However I do agree that it's preferences that guide me to Google personally but I utilize all the offer. And I do love cheap Nokia phones. Truly I desire completion of the big 4, Google, Apple, Microsoft, BlackBerry. I wish apps were universally available and the platforms themselves were what was the decision. Then we would see true innovation. Not the app gap excuse or proprietary development (apple) creating a "superior" like attitude.

Sent from a G2

Google also stops third parties from utilizing their APIs to make apps to fill in the gaps that they refuse to fill on platforms like Windows 8 and Windows Phone. On top of that, both them and Apple allowed the installation of CIQ software on the devices, a huge source of info for government agencies. They try to make themselves out to be the good guys and I wish they either would be or would stop buying out the companies that are. Between Google and Facebook buying up everything good, it offers a real hindrance to those of us who don't like data theft.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
On top of that, both them and Apple allowed the installation of CIQ software on the devices, a huge source of info for government agencies.

To clarify, on iOS, Blackberry and Android, in the US it is only devices on Sprint, T-Mobile & AT&T that can have CIQ installed. That's not a Google or Apple invited service and Verizon doesn't use them because it has their own software that keeps it in-house and Google doesn't allow it on Nexus devices.
To avoid CIQ requires any of the following: being with Verizon, buying OEM unlocked devices directly from the OEM (not always 100% surefire, always wise to ask if this is big to you), buying Windows Phone or buying a Nexus.

duoFurious

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
To clarify, on iOS, Blackberry and Android, in the US it is only devices on Sprint, T-Mobile & AT&T that can have CIQ installed. That's not a Google or Apple invited service and Verizon doesn't use them because it has their own software that keeps it in-house and Google doesn't allow it on Nexus devices.
To avoid CIQ requires any of the following: being with Verizon, buying OEM unlocked devices directly from the OEM (not always 100% surefire, always wise to ask if this is big to you), buying Windows Phone or buying a Nexus.
So would it be carriers that allow or put this on the devices? and would it be included on software like CM or other alternative OS distributions?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So would it be carriers that allow or put this on the devices? and would it be included on software like CM or other alternative OS distributions?

CM does not have it in any version I've ever heard of. It is not clear at what stage of software updating it is added, but the relationship is with the carrier and CIQ, not the OEM in most cases. If you're getting a custom ROM, it is most likely not there, however I don't know if forks like Amazon or FireFox's Android distributions will have it on their devices.

About CIQ: The app really isn't sinister in nature, it is quite useful to the carriers - the controversy lies in the facts that it was hidden, they lied about its capabilities, it's not easily removable by the user, it's not "opt-in" and as Z33dev33l alluded to, we don't know to what extent that information is actually shared and under what circumstances. It has become more transparent, but has nowhere near enough transparency for people to be comfortable with it and the idea that they're being dealt with as participating adults, rather than tricked into something they might have declined.

It might be a good idea to move the CIQ discussion to one of its threads as I don't want to derail the discussion about the device decisions.