04-30-2014 08:35 AM
63 123
tools
    The whole debate is subjective and if you like the M8 better then thats the phone you should get. I messed with both and went with the S5 and love it, probably would of loved both but the camera is too important for me. Taking pictures outdoors(sons baseball games) the S5 is just better for that kind of shot, important to me.

I don't understand the build quality thing either. I understand people liking the M8 better but the S5 has a great build quality too, just different.
    Dizfunctions likes this.
    04-17-2014 04:19 PM
    I Agree I honestly wanted the s5 to be the next big thing, however for me it was far from it. My battery was terrible and the phone got hot on the back, the fingerprint reader is a real let down after you have used the 5s it makes the s5 a joke so I would rather not even use it. The m8 fits my hand better I can text and drive at the same time. *flame on* I try not to but sometimes it happens. And for me camera vs 5s,s5 and m8 I have not had any pictures that was not acceptable for me with the m8 and I like the zoe and the camera options, not saying s5 may be better but for me I do not actually see that big of a difference to say ok I can't live with it.

I just wish m8 had more options for accessories.
    (edited by Moderator)....I try not to, you try not to text and drive and yet it somehow happens? That means you try to text and drive...man....(edited by Moderator)
    04-26-2014 05:23 PM
    fyi..... the M8 has better higher %%% user reviews at VZ, Amazon, att, Sprint and T-Mobile....
    04-26-2014 07:23 PM
    Well for one, touch wiz is terrible.* When I say terrible, I mean itís the by far the worst ďskinĒ put on a phone by any of the major phone manufactures.* We are in the year 2014, there is ABSOLUTELY no reason why a phone should experience any lag.* There was lag out of the box and it got even worse once I put more apps on it.* Sense is so much more polished and fluid, its honestly a night and day comparison.

As for the battery, I would say they are both pretty comparable.* They have each lasted me through the work day with very heavy use so I have no complaints in this department.

Camera Ė I honestly canít see why this has been such a big deal. *Iím not a professional photographer by any means, but I do enjoy snapping pics of things going on in my life.* I really canít tell a difference between the two.* For someone with limited knowledge of photography, I canít see how anyone could gripe over the camera on the m8.* As for software, in my opinion the camera software on the m8 BLOWS the s5 out of the water.* There are soooo many cool things you can do with the m8 camera software.

Design and feel Ė They both are very good feeling phones in the hand.* I have smaller hands so the s5ís slightly wider form factor was a tad on the large side for me, but nothing I couldnít handle.* My m8 has been in a case from day 1 so I cannot comment on how slippery it is.* I never plan on running the phone without a case so ďslippageĒ should never be an issue.* The size diff. between the m7 and the m8 is not very noticeable imo.

Audio Ė this isnít even a contest.* The m8ís speakers are the best sounding smartphone speakers I have ever experienced.* The s5 speaker was so weak, watching YouTube videos on high volume was still bothersome.

Reception Ė so far the reception on the m8 has been better for me.* Iím on T-Mobile so reception is very important. The S5 wasnít bad it just wasnít as good as the m8.

These are just my opinions, obviously, but I can say I am so much happier with the m8.* This is also coming from someone the really has no bias towards phone manufacturers.* I have carried the iPhone 5s. lg g2, htc m7, s4, s5, and others within the last year.* HTC hit it out of the park with this phone.* If only they had a better marketing budget so that they could spread the word*😭

Posted via Android Central App
    I don't disagree how bad TW is, but Sense is not a looker either. The crappy main screen was annoying as hell for me on the M7 last year and I made my M7 DE into a GPE and was thrilled to do so. I just wish the M8 had a swappable battery I could learn to live with onscreen buttons, but the camera on the M8 is just no good.
    Dizfunctions likes this.
    04-26-2014 08:19 PM
    Other than the camera quality, the One M8 slays the S5 in nearly every single regard. Good choice!
    04-26-2014 08:58 PM
    I don't disagree how bad TW is, but Sense is not a looker either. The crappy main screen was annoying as hell for me on the M7 last year and I made my M7 DE into a GPE and was thrilled to do so. I just wish the M8 had a swappable battery I could learn to live with onscreen buttons, but the camera on the M8 is just no good for me.
    Fixed

04-26-2014 09:13 PM
    If you could choose between the BoomSound speakers or the 16MP camera on the S5, and you could only choose one, which one would you choose?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    04-26-2014 09:14 PM
    Other than the camera resolution, the One M8 slays the S5 in nearly every single regard. Good choice!
    Fixed Fyi, resolution and quality do not go hand in hand

04-26-2014 09:14 PM
    If you could choose between the BoomSound speakers or the 16MP camera on the S5, and you could only choose one, which one would you choose?

BoomSound without a doubt. More megapixels don't necessarily mean better quality.

04-26-2014 09:16 PM
    More megapixels don't necessarily mean better quality.

Well in the case of the M8 vs. S5, the greater megapixel camera produces much better results. Is the M8 bad? No but the S5 is better in all situations except extremely low light.

Why couldn't have HTC included an 8mp UltraPixel camera in the M8 and called it a day. You would have got the best of both worlds, enough resolution to crop/zoom while still being great in low light.

Now im forced to weigh the options between the M8 and S5, I need a great camera but I also want great speakers on my phone. Thanks for making the decision so hard this year HTC.

Dizfunctions likes this.
    04-27-2014 02:46 AM

speakers.....
    04-27-2014 06:19 AM
    Seriously I understand what the OP is talking about, I played with both devices and I cannot understand other then for the camera why anyone would chose the S5
    Hmm I like touchwiz ? , Removable battery ? I personally don't like metal ( though wouldnt be a + or - buying it )

I might consider the M9 next year if they consider a removable battery
    04-27-2014 06:32 AM

16MP camera i take more pictures then using speakers well because i don't want to annoy people on trains or outside
    04-27-2014 06:33 AM
    fyi..... the M8 has better higher %%% user reviews at VZ, Amazon, att, Sprint and T-Mobile....
    And how many of those "reviews" are just hating on Samsung because A) Samsung android haters or B) Iphone users? I take user reviews with a grain of salt
    04-27-2014 06:34 AM
    The whole debate is subjective and if you like the M8 better then thats the phone you should get. I messed with both and went with the S5 and love it, probably would of loved both but the camera is too important for me. Taking pictures outdoors(sons baseball games) the S5 is just better for that kind of shot, important to me.

I don't understand the build quality thing either. I understand people liking the M8 better but the S5 has a great build quality too, just different.
    Well to some people think Metal is the Best thing ever .... I prefer plastic since i like my phones light as they can be and considering i am using the note 3 the Note 3 would of been a lot heavier with metal casing
    04-27-2014 06:36 AM
    The majority of reviews I have seen give the M8 preference over the GS5 and the obvious reasons are the inferior build quality of the GS5 and of course TouchWiz. I have yet to come across a review where anyone says they like TouchWiz, instead they are critical of its cartoonish look, how it's over done and how it contributes to lag. All that plus the gimmicky bloatware that take up previous space. Pocketnow, the verge, technobuffalo and Theunlockr to name a few say basically the same thing. IMO the M8 will be named the best Android device of this year a title which no Galaxy device has ever held.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    04-27-2014 07:46 AM
    Not quite true. The SG2 did win Android device of the year.
    04-27-2014 08:31 AM
    The majority of reviews I have seen give the M8 preference over the GS5 and the obvious reasons are the inferior build quality of the GS5 and of course TouchWiz. I have yet to come across a review where anyone says they like TouchWiz, instead they are critical of its cartoonish look, how it's over done and how it contributes to lag. All that plus the gimmicky bloatware that take up previous space. Pocketnow, the verge, technobuffalo and Theunlockr to name a few say basically the same thing. IMO the M8 will be named the best Android device of this year a title which no Galaxy device has ever held.

Wrong. Samsung has won it.

04-27-2014 09:26 AM
    Not quite true. The SG2 did win Android device of the year.
    Wrong. Samsung has won it.

I stand corrected just goggled it and the GS2 won back in 2011.

Regardless, Samsung's current ideology of what a flagship device is has failed to wow the tech community instead it's a being considered slight upgrade from the GS4 and getting at most mediocre reviews unlike the M8. I'll bet my money that the GS5 will sell tons of devices but will not be in the running for best device again for the obvious reasons.
    04-27-2014 09:57 AM
    Agreed. I think the M8 will take it this year, especially with the z2 delays.
    04-27-2014 10:53 AM

I don't think Samsung's concern is winning best android device of the year. Samsungs main concern is sales and in that respect they are still winning over HTC and all the other android manufacturers.

As long as Samsung continues to sell 50+ million Galaxy S devices, they will be more than happy.

04-27-2014 02:16 PM
    Just of note-. on VZ, Att ,Sprint, Tmobile and Amazon the M8 scores higher with user reviews.....
    04-27-2014 03:22 PM
    I don't think Samsung's concern is winning best android device of the year. Samsungs main concern is sales and in that respect they are still winning over HTC and all the other android manufacturers.

As long as Samsung continues to sell 50+ million Galaxy S devices, they will be more than happy.

and when your main concern is just sales,
    that's when you start losing ground imho....
    04-27-2014 03:24 PM
    and when your main concern is just sales,
    that's when you start losing ground imho....
    Apple has the same mentality, they seen to be doing fine with the iPhone even with only slight upgrades every year.

Samsung is thriving while HTC is unfortunately struggling to profit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    04-27-2014 03:58 PM
    Apple has the same mentality, they seen to be doing fine with the iPhone even with only slight upgrades every year.

Samsung is thriving while HTC is unfortunately struggling to profit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    To be fair though, HTC only makes phones. Samsung makes everything under the sun, as well as LG and Sony. Even Apple makes computers, tablets and iPods. I'm surprised that HTC is able to achieve as much market share as they do these days

04-27-2014 05:52 PM
63 123