Which are better ? Samsung apps or Google apps?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
So which are better --- Samsung apps or Google apps? Please provide some general information when making your claim as to versions, etc.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, asides from REALLY Samsung-specific apps (like an S-Pen enhanced version of Twitter, Evernote, Sketchbook, and Samsung proprietary apps) I find that Google Play has the same content as Samsung Apps but the same cannot be said the other way around.

Also, most of the time devs update Google Play versions but neglect (if not forget entirely) 3rd party store versions, especially Samsung's. I've used Soundhound and Evermondo from Samsung Apps and then just watched as the Google Play version kept updating over and over again while I was stuck with the same bugs that others had already fixed. NOVA 3 is also a good example of different versions between stores.

However, Samsung does give some very good apps for free with new purchases, but only if downloaded from their store. And just like Amazon's free app of the day, sometimes they give apps away for free and that makes it appealing to download their version instead of Google's. But if you gave me a choice, I'd go with Google Play.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I use Google mainly because it is more convenient. I have multiple devices, not all are Samsung, so buying from Google allows me to use it on all my Android devices.

I also use amazon app store but pretty much only for their free apps. Most are junk but there are a few jems like Swiftkey or some office apps.

If I had to choose just one, I would pick Google play.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Oh, also coherence! Whatever I download from Google Play, shows up in all of my devices (just like dpham00 says) and, as long as the app is compatible with the device, it can be installed. Pretty much the same goes for Amazon's. But when using Samsung Apps, that's when things get complicated. Some apps (and movies if using the Hub, even!) only appear on a certain device (SOME stuff I got in my Note 3 will not appear on my Note 10.1, even if I'm using the same account). As to what 'triggers' this, I'm not sure. Some apps do show up, some don't. And again, updates. Apps in Samsung seem to be lagging behind when it comes to updates.