M8 or Z2 ?

BazzG

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
My current contract ends in July and I zero inclination to go contract again.

Luckily, I'm in a position to just buy a phone and shop around for deals on sim-only or rolling 1-month deals.

Right now, I have a Galaxy S3, which is still a very nice phone. It is rooted and rommed with Cyanogenmod 10.2.

So, I've come to the conclusion that I really like 2 phones. Well, 3, if I can wait for the next Nexus. I'm an impatient sod, though so I probably won't wait.

After browsing around the two that I'm interested in are the HTC One M8 and the Sony Xperia Z2.

My thoughts.
The Sony is a little bigger, has a bit more RAM, and a very nice camera. It's also closer to stock Android that the HTC. It does come with a bunch of Sony bloat.
The HTC looks amazing and has very nice sound. However, I'll mostly be using earbuds, so thats probably not a high point. Sense 6 is supposedly nice. Certainly nicer than Touchwiz.

Apart from that they both have the same CPU, both take good sized SD cards.

I had a chance to handle the m8 today and I'll be able to get my hands on a Z1 later this week. I understand the Z1 is very similar to the Z2 in feel.

I must admit I'm trending towards the Z2, mostly because of that camera. 20 Mpix? rly? If the glass is good it should be exceptional. Not convinced on the Duo-Camera.
The Sony also has noise-cancelling built-in if you use the supplied buds. I use buds most of the time so thats cool, as long as the supplied buds are comfortable.

But the M8 looks so damn good.

Feel free to state opinion. I'm more interested in how these two devices feel to use than their specs.

Cheers,
BAzz

ragdoll08

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Short answer: Z2

Longer answer: M8 is a really nice phone. Was thinking about using my JUMP! on it from the G2.. only thing is that I don't really think the M8 is really that much of a better phone then the G2, and I love my G2. Can't stress that enough.... However, if the Z2 were available, I'd be on my way to the store now.

EDIT: Final thought. Defend the Duo Camera all you want (reviewers in general), if the M8 had better one on it then maybe I'd have made the JUMP, but make no mistake about it, the camera on the M8 has lost themselves a customer. And HTC can't afford to lose customers. Night'

BazzG

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm inclined to agree. I'll get a better feel for it later in the week with a Z1. I suppose what it comes down to is, will that ever-so-slightly larger form feel as comfortable as the m8 did.

I'm not entirely sure where HTC are going (yeah, I know, down the pan, evidently) with this camera stuff. Almost everyone is going to see that 4mpix and stop right there. I'm not convinced that even with the tricky depth stuff, that it'll produce pictures that are suitable for anything but web posting.

If the lens on the Z2 is even halfway decent, that camera should produce some stunning pictures. I hope Sony eventually allow it to save in RAW format as well.

LightaDroid

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Short answer: Z2

Longer answer: M8 is a really nice phone. Was thinking about using my JUMP! on it from the G2.. only thing is that I don't really think the M8 is really that much of a better phone then the G2, and I love my G2. Can't stress that enough.... However, if the Z2 were available, I'd be on my way to the store now.

EDIT: Final thought. Defend the Duo Camera all you want (reviewers in general), if the M8 had better one on it then maybe I'd have made the JUMP, but make no mistake about it, the camera on the M8 has lost themselves a customer. And HTC can't afford to lose customers. Night'

Agreed!!!
Check mate

thatdennis

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Buy the Z2, it has more accessories (the smartband, magnetic dock charger, noise-cancelling earbuds, Smartwatch 2, etc). Also the camera is better while also looking sleek and official because of its simplicity. M8 looks like a robot, which is cool but doesn't suit my style.

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I think you forgot something for the Z2, WATERPROOF, which is a really nice feature

and for the M8, the output of it is better than the Z2 as what people said, you'll get more dynamic sound with boomsound amplifiers inside it, no i'm not talking about the speakers.

Both Sense and Sony UI are fluid, the camera depends on if you'll take shots in low light or not, as i actually prefer galaxy and LG camera rather than them both.

And.. keep in mind you'll have a better screen from the Z1 on the Z2, which was its worse aspect :).
Good luck!

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I went with the z2 and it's what I'm using now to write this. I liked the look and feel of the m8 but it didn't offer anything in the way of killer features. Yeah it has the duo camera. But it's coupled with a 4 mp camera. The z2 still does the defocus thing and in some cases does a decent job. It has 4k video, more ram, waterproof ect.. That's why I went with it. It basically has more decent features.. My wife has the z1. I can confirm that the z1 feels more solid in the hand than the z2 but the z2 feels a little nicer.

Oh and if you love ear buds. The noise cancelling headphones with the z2 are pretty decent.

Posted via Android Central App